collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What Plastic Are The New Ponies Made From!?  (Read 1437 times)

CinnamonSatin

• Trade Count: (0)
What Plastic Are The New Ponies Made From!?
« on: August 26, 2012, 07:10:02 PM »
What plastic are the new Playful Ponies made out of!? I want to repose a pony, but the whole "chopping off limbs and wire and tin foil and clay" thing messes with my head!!

I looked everywhere and found nothing, except the "my little pony, all skinny and bony" rhyme.

I want to repose a pony by applying just enough heat to make the pony soft as clay and bend a leg or wing and then let it cool, but I need to know what kind of plastic it is, so Mom can find the safest way for me to apply heat to it.

Would boiling water do it? I was thinking of holding it about 6 inches from a heater for a minute, but that's dangerous!

If I master this technique, then I can make super cool customs! I will need to learn how anyway...the OC I made for my imaginary friend is a flutter pony with flared-out ears, and I want to make her into a glimmer wings pony. And maybe I can stretch out her legs a little too.

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
Re: What Plastic Are The New Ponies Made From!?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 08:07:28 PM »
I don't know what they're made of, but this sounds like a job for a heat gun. :) With any method, be sure to ventilate, and protect your hands from the hot plastic!

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 06:36:25 AM »
I am interested in seing what method you find for your idea :)
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 09:31:48 AM »
Unfortunately plastic such as that in MLP doesnt work quite as simply as heating it and remoulding it [at least at a domestic level] - heat works wonders to restore plastic to its original shape in MLP [its original mould] but you would almost need to melt the plastic in order to make a permanent change and unfortunately if you do that its unlikely to be reformable at all.

I really hope you manage to find a way to do this and cant wait to see if it is in fact possible. :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 09:34:46 AM »
"What Plastic Are The New Ponies Made From!?"
two different kinds
cept the fashion styles which both use the same head plastic.
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 09:56:05 AM »
Sculpting a limb from Sculpey or another medium, or harvesting a donor limb and attaching with strong glue is the only way to go.  MLP are not made of a plastic that is pliable enough to heat and re-shape.  In fact you'll probably melt the pony if you try. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

CinnamonSatin

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 10:33:54 AM »
Mom used to collect My Little Ponies and Breyer horses in her days, and she said people were making custom breyers her days. They would dip the hard plastic bodies in boiling water and repose the limbs. I personally think sitting in front of a heater with the pony in my hands as I rotate it would probably make it achieve the softness I want. But she says it's dangerous. I'm still willing to try it, but I'm anxious about what she said. Again, these are the new G4 toys I'm talking about.

I would buy many "test ponies" with no hair or cutie mark, and I would try it on the body first. (Actually, considering the face is soft, I would probably be better off doing the ear thing with my Xacto knife, but the leg thing would work with a heater).

I really like the heat gun idea. What is it?

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 11:25:21 AM »
Breyers are a completely different plastic than MLP so what works for Breyer customizers won't likely work with ponies.  :( 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 11:47:04 AM »
Breyers are cellulose acetate derived from organic compounds. They can be melted and can break down easily on their own if not well cared for and also the chemicals they release when broken down will spread to other cellulose acetate items and break them down.

Ponies are pvc with plasticiser. They are hard to melt and reshape once formed and the fumes can be carcinogenic. I've had a mcdonalds pony in the oven at 200F for half and hour and the only thing it did was stink my house to high hell. The pony was squishy but held its form.

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 12:00:39 PM »
wow this stuff is interesting!   :pizza:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 12:19:44 PM »
I know!  Pony chemistry is fun!  Perhaps I would have paid more attention in school had I realized I would be so fascinated by it now...
The Bad Trader List

Offline MaronaPossessed

• The Good Troll on the Internet
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ...Because the internet needs more of these
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 02:02:42 PM »
I know!  Pony chemistry is fun!  Perhaps I would have paid more attention in school had I realized I would be so fascinated by it now...
I would take "Pony Chemistry" in my college if it were available! :lol:
G4 Blind Bag Extraordinaire

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 02:24:09 PM »
Breyers are cellulose acetate derived from organic compounds. They can be melted and can break down easily on their own if not well cared for and also the chemicals they release when broken down will spread to other cellulose acetate items and break them down.

Ponies are pvc with plasticiser. They are hard to melt and reshape once formed and the fumes can be carcinogenic. I've had a mcdonalds pony in the oven at 200F for half and hour and the only thing it did was stink my house to high hell. The pony was squishy but held its form.

Some newer Breyer are not out of Cellulose but styne and while the can still be heated it is  trickier then the old good stuff.

Thoth used to do all her customs out of polymer clay and we baked many a pony, none ever melted they would like you say get squishy so we would have to let them sit before moving them.  Never had them stink up the house though.

Unfortunately plastic such as that in MLP doesnt work quite as simply as heating it and remoulding it [at least at a domestic level] - heat works wonders to restore plastic to its original shape in MLP [its original mould] but you would almost need to melt the plastic in order to make a permanent change and unfortunately if you do that its unlikely to be reformable at all.

I really hope you manage to find a way to do this and cant wait to see if it is in fact possible. :)
This, it will not work.  I have tried as that is the method we use in model horses to change things.  I have tried on both an old G1 and a newer pony and the plastic just snaps back or in some cases will not really budge.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 02:26:41 PM by Diamond »
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM »
The best you can do is cut off the legs, reposition them and glue or wire or clay. Or make a frankenpony with parts from other ponies.

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 11:04:13 PM »
Yep. chopping off limbs and reposing is the only way to go with ponies. It's a bit daunting at first, but it's REALLY fun once you get then hang of it! :D
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal