collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any fishkeepers here?  (Read 3037 times)

Offline MsTwilight

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Any fishkeepers here?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 08:55:46 PM »
I have a 150 gallon saltwater and a 60 gallon hex freshwater.

60 gallon: houses a school of skirted tetras, 3 albino corydoras, and a very large pleco. Because of the waste load of the pleco I try to keep it lightly stocked. I would love to have another betta but wouldn't risk him with my fin nipping tetras.

150 gallon: houses 150+ lbs of live rock, some corals, feather dusters, urchins, a hippo tang, naso tang, cinnamon clown, bicolor dottyback, 2 blue devil damsels, 1 jewel damsel, a vermiculated angel, and 1 yellow tang.

@Antlercat: is your betta all white?? For the longest time I wanted one that was pure white! I saw one at a betta show once and was in love!

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 08:59:21 PM »
I have fish :) At one point I had over 40 bettas...but now I just have 3, all VTs. All those tanks and weekly water changes got to be too much for me, lol. Believe it or not, part of the reason I got so into collecting ponies was so that it'd keep me from buying so many fish XD; I also have a community tank that just has a few platys and a lone guppy in it. Had a couple mystery snails but they died a few months ago and I haven't been able to make it to a decent pet store to get a new one.

Oh and I have a small brackish water tank with a colony of opae ula, which are pretty much the coolest little shrimp ever :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Offline GazeboMouse

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 11:47:38 PM »
I had a tank with goldfish in childhood for many years, then when we got married we had a tank of tropical fish, a few small catfish types and a Sailfin Plec. We haven't kept fish for years cos it is so tricky getting everything right, messy to clean out, and lots of hassle, so we stick with hamsters instead, much safer and dryer.
But I still have the book from childhood with photos or drawings of each childhood friend. I miss them all.

Offline Cucco

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • poniponiponi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »
I only have one fish -- a male dragon scale betta. He's like... indigo and green, depending on which angle you look at him at. With a few areas with a subtle red color.

His name's Norbert, and he likes to hide under his bridge a lot. When I was on my trip last week, he was flaring his gills at everyone who glanced at him XD Dad brought my computer over while we were Skyping, and when he heard my voice, he got all excited and swam around~ I love my babbu ;u;

My friends bought him for me after Luna (they named her) died. But all the other fish were sick in the tank they got her from. Luckily, Norby has been doing well! I got him a nice tank, and he goes to college with me.
The G1 color-change hair set is my grail. Currently own: Mainsail, Seaflower, Shoreline

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 07:43:26 PM »
I've got three bettas right now, Sushi, Sashimi, and Nigiri.  :P  Sushi is a blue and red crown tail, Sashimi is red and Nigiri is indigo and red.  Nigiri and Sashimi were pretty much the unhealthiest fish I've seen when I bought them - Nigiri was overweight and Sashimi had fin rot.  I "rescued" them from an aquarium store (you'd think they would've taken better care of their fish) and they're both healthy now.  Sushi was a later addition to the family.  They're my first bettas in about three years.  Just after my last ones died we got new kittens and I decided it would be wise to take a fish break until the kittens grew up and settled down a bit.

Elf

antlercat

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 09:06:08 AM »
I completely forgot I posted this thread - haha! :D
Wow, so many fellow fish lovers!
I see I'm not alone in the betta love - they are very easy fish to care for, so...yeah :) Fun stuff.

I looove the cichlid picture - he's beautiful.
Anyone else got any pictures to share?

And, GazeboMouse, your childhood book sounds SO CUTE. I used to do stuff like that :) ^_^

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 10:46:34 AM »
We have some goldfish and some koi in our pond int he backyard :)  They are getting pretty big! Some are atleast 4 years old

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+79)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 12:03:10 PM »
I've got three bettas right now, Sushi, Sashimi, and Nigiri.  :P 
Bwahaha!!  Love it! 

Here's Kedros

He's adorable. ^_^

I love fish!  When I was a teenager, I had four tanks--a 20 gallon, a 10 gallon, a converted plastic hamster cage, and one of those 3-sided desktop aquariums.  Right now I've only got 1 10 gallon tank, which is all the apartment manager will allow. :(  If I'm ever able to buy my own place, I plan on having 2 or 3 more aquariums.  I did have goldfish for 2 or 3 years in this tank but they died last year.  It sat empty for several months but last month I bought a crowntail beta (they look so sad in the stores in those tiny little containers with hardly any water).  He definitely looks happier now.  I'd love to have some small tetras in there too but am afraid to try it...I've seen a single beta in tanks with other fish before but am afraid to try it myself, I don't want him going after other fish.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:07:57 PM by bewilderness »

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2012, 12:12:18 PM »
Its usually the tetras who pick on the tails of the betta. You could definately have some kuhli loaches in there with him.

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2012, 12:52:30 PM »
I used to have fish...and I loved them!  But I had some rather....interesting situations with them.  >.>  *cough*

I had goldfish and I was small enough I couldn't take care of them all on my own, so mom was helping me.  She cleaned out their tank and filled it up with water, but added too much tap water.  My poor fish got sick, so we gave them some sort of fish medicine....except she overdosed them and they got really loopy.  She tried to redo the water again but they ended up all dying any way.  XD  it's a running joke to this day about how she is a fish drug dealer and a killer.  It's rather funny. 

Then I think my next set of fish (fantails) heard about my mom, and when she and I were cleaning the tank out together (was finally big enough to help) one of the fish jumped out of the net, out the open window, and down into the flower bed.  >.>  Kamikaze suicidal fish.  Managed to find it and get it back in with the others safely, but we still laugh about that too.

xD  I want fish again, but this  time I think I will take care of them, LOL

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 02:25:04 PM »
Fish are actually quite hard to take care of properly. They are in an enclosed ecosystem so the owner controls each chemical in the water. I've actually met goldfish who were 36 years old.

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+79)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2012, 03:23:11 PM »
36 years old?!  Wow!  The most mine ever last is about 3 or 4 years and usually 2.

Its usually the tetras who pick on the tails of the betta. You could definately have some kuhli loaches in there with him.
Next time I'm at the pet store, I'll take a look for them.  I wonder how guppies would get along with my beta.  I've seen some really pretty ones...especially the yellow ones with black stripes/spots.

antlercat

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2012, 09:17:49 AM »
Fish drug dealer...ha!

And, I second what HavACrumpet says: fish are so delicate & need a lot of love and care. I hate people who just rush into pet ownership without doing their research. Even more grating is when people are like "Oh well, it's just a fish." UGGGH. Don't even get me started

MsTwilight: I have lots of bettas :) but yes, the one pictured is completely white - he's a halfmoon named Arcturus, and I love him dearly. Definitely one of my fancier boys!

Offline WhispersOfTheWind

• Trade Count: (+183)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2012, 04:12:04 PM »
I have one betta, Sammie, and two ghost shrimp  (Thing 1 and Thing 2)
When I first got Sammie he lived in a critter keeper

and then i moved him to a 2.5 gallon tank

but now he lives in a 5 gallon tank, with the shrimp, and i have blue sand in there instead and a few marimo moss balls.  i wanted a planted tank with java moss but when i kept the moss in quarantine i quickly found out i had a snail, who after a few weeks started leaving weird trails around the container and i found out it was a pond snail and rapidly having babies.  i had to find a pond to release them into, but they were fascinating to watch.

this is my cat watching the fish, and the snails in the critter keeper when i had them

and one ghost shrimp

Sammie again, I've had him since September 2011.

Sammie watches me a lot.  He starts flaring when my cat comes to visit him.  He doesn't like anyone looking at him, he gets mad and flares at them but he tolerates me..sometimes.  It's really funny, I would have never guessed that a fish could pay attention to me like that and be so involved with whats going on around him.

i would like to get another betta.  i'd like a half moon betta who is marbled with blue.
:lovey:

antlercat

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2012, 07:27:23 PM »
Sammie is very cute :)  As is the cat!
I'm glad to see you upgraded his tank, though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal