collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Budget brushables vs Luxury. Should there be equality for quality?  (Read 3509 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Budget brushables vs Luxury. Should there be equality for quality?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 05:01:19 PM »
How do the Basic Fun brushables fit into it? They have much better quality than your standard G4 but they are still brushable ponies.
personally, I tend to see them as display pieces meant to be shown off from in their box, so they might be ok beside the actual figures and custom, probably.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 05:02:33 PM »
I think OPs question is less about what people personally feel the value of an item is...

Probably, but what the OP actually said was shouldn't we hide the cheaper brushable ponies in the cupboard so they don't tarnish the expensive collector model that someone shelled out $100 for...

Which conveys a different nuance.

Right, and I think that comment sounds pretty elitist... but sometimes people don't think about what they say. I think OP was just more asking about the balance of different priced items next to each other..
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2020, 05:04:49 PM »
I think OPs question is less about what people personally feel the value of an item is...

And more so the difference of something that toy quality vs a collector quality. That shouldn't be taken as that toys can't be collected, or are not collectable items. But there is a difference between a hand crafted resin statue (and/or mass produced) vs something designed for play.

and if those things look good next to each other.

ETA: I just don't agree with that if something is cheaper (original price point), it doesn't look good next to something more expensive
this exactly! Thank you for clarifying, and I hope the discussion stays on THIS topic, as it was meant. (I’m sorry if I have a Tendency to poorly convey my subjects of discussion)
formerly nightmare muffin

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2020, 05:12:32 PM »

Probably, but what the OP actually said was shouldn't we hide the cheaper brushable ponies in the cupboard so they don't tarnish the expensive collector model that someone shelled out $100 for...

Right, and I think that comment sounds pretty elitist... but sometimes people don't think about what they say. I think OP was just more asking about the balance of different priced items next to each other..

The thing is that that doesn't make a lot of sense with MLP, since you can line up the TE ponies, for example, and Mimic is probably 10x the cost of the others in the set. But it doesn't necessarily make her the most loved in the set for everyone because of it. And some people would absolutely hide her in the cupboard or not even bother to own her because they prefer Fizzy or one of the others. Which is completely fine of course.

Since price in actual pony collecting is so subjective and changeable, it's kind of like Carrehz said. Comparing apples and oranges.

As well as being pretty rude.

Not to mention it also denigrates OP's favoured Takara ponies alongside the others, since they're also toys made for kids to play with, and brushables. They're about 10x more expensive than some of these figures being discussed, but again, that's only sticking to the OP's rules, not mine. If OP is not trying to be offensive and is just airing a comparison about value of items, then Takara has to also be included in brushable pony and kid's toy.

With the Kotobukiya ones in particular, Japanese price point is also completely different on many items, not just on figures and such, which will influence what prices people in the West pay (adding on conversion and import before the fact). (Pretty sure you know this but OP may not).

Funko are really not that expensive in comparison to quite a few G1 ponies. At least not what I've seen...I don't buy them so can't be sure if I missed something extravagant.

I just think it's a poor topic written in a really unwise way and I am trying to work out whether I'm confused by it or offended :/
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 05:17:49 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2020, 06:02:23 PM »

The thing is that that doesn't make a lot of sense with MLP, since you can line up the TE ponies, for example, and Mimic is probably 10x the cost of the others in the set. But it doesn't necessarily make her the most loved in the set for everyone because of it. And some people would absolutely hide her in the cupboard or not even bother to own her because they prefer Fizzy or one of the others. Which is completely fine of course.

I guess I didn't explain well...  I didn't think personal (or secondary "resale") value came into play, but more so initial value.. Sometimes things that call for a higher price point are less likely to be toys.

It would be like comparing a MLP G1 toy to a porcelain toy. Something that was a toy vs something that wasn't really meant to be played with..
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 08:59:37 PM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2020, 06:35:24 PM »
I don’t know what the question actually is... but my toy ponies are interspersed among my bjd dolls.  I think they look great.

I also feel that because MLP was originally a brushable pony and all stories/shows/comics revolved around that, being a toy is the only thing that’s going to be consistent about MLP.  Everything else falls back to history.  Brushing them aside seems weird.

I don’t see myself buying any MLP funkos/statues and such.  They are lovely, but I don’t feel a connection to them.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2020, 06:52:34 PM »
OP I get what you mean. People bringing in the cost of things on the 2ND hand collectable market are just confusing the topic. Mimic might be 150$ now but she was 3.99$ (or whatever) just like all the rest of them originally

Further this is just about G4 items but the sound of it. Comparing different lines in one generation. There were really only porcelines in G1, so I guess you could ask would you display the porcelines with the brushables in g1

Basically brushables are toys, vinyl and resin statues are art. The audiences are different. If you are more an art audience person, toy stuff might not appeal to you. It's ok to not mix them or even get toy stuff. Likewise, you might like both. Or just the toy line

I don't think I'd display them together. I've never really gotten into resin or vinyl statues (I have just a few Sailor Moon, Utena, Rayearth etc) but if I had them of FiM characters I'd put them with my other statues rather than with my brushables

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2020, 07:20:56 PM »
Basically brushables are toys, vinyl and resin statues are art.

If one is art, they pretty much both are.  It’s just a matter of personal taste.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2020, 09:37:28 PM »
Hmm I guess this is hard for me to answer because my collection is primarily all brushables. For my G4 ponies I do have a few of the Funko figures and the more elaborate Guardians of Harmony figures. Although they are on different shelves, they are all in the same display case and I don’t feel like it looks weird to have the more expensive figures by the cheaper brushables. I’ll try and get a clear pic of my G4 display when I get off work. If I’m being honest, they ARE the most challenging generation to display because of all the repeated characters and different lines. :P I’ve rearranged that display many times now! The awful, untamable hair doesn’t help this generation either.

I think the key to displaying the regular ponies is to make sure their hair is brushed and styled, and that you organize them in some manner of your choosing. I personally have mine organized by generation, and then I group them by color. I think BlackCurtains makes a good point that if you are displaying by aesthetics, the original price of the product doesn’t really matter. Style and quality is SUPER subjective. What you consider to be the best quality or style may not at all appeal to someone else. Versace is an expensive designer brand, but personally I think it’s tacky, ugly design. :shrug: There is no right answer to this sort of thing.

I don’t even want to unpack the logistics of what is considered art and what isn’t, as that will vary from each individual person, but considering the guardians of Harmony figures or funko figures as “art” is a stretch at best. They are still mass produced toys and the quality is pretty iffy on those too. I’d say they easily have the same quality as the brushables, it’s just a different thing.

I’m rambling at this point, but I guess the core of what I’m trying to say is, just collect and display in a way that makes YOU happy. If you don’t like the brushable toys, that’s fine, you don’t have to buy them. If you just want them shoved in a closet, it doesn’t seem like they are bringing you much joy. There is no “right” or “wrong” way to collect. If having just  a few of the more expensive figures or handmade figures makes you happy, that is just as valid as someone who wants an expansive collection of all the “regular” toys. :)

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2020, 06:45:33 AM »

If one is art, they pretty much both are.  It’s just a matter of personal taste.

Agree. I think THIS is the material point that undermines the thread topic.

I don't think bringing the relative values of earlier generation ponies vs the modern figures is confusing the issue at all.

If the OP meant to talk exclusively about G4 then that might be another thing, but that isn't what was said and no subsequent clarification of that fact has been given, so we can only take it at its word.

I don't think the kotobukiya statues are 'art'. I think they're collectable figures at a certain price point for a certain audience that finds them appealing. There is nothing wrong with them. But they are not superior in value because of how they are made, marketed or sold. They are only superior in the minds of those who buy them.

The comment OP made about the BF brushables also really confuses the issue because they're $10 toys. They may be a throwback to our childhoods, but they are toys. Their price point is kids and casual nostalgia. There's no argument that those are 'art'. And if you work out the price point of the pony toys from all earlier generations, accounting for inflation as well, you probably have $10 toys. So what really does make them different?

Nothing except personal opinion.

Then there are the collectable dolls, like the IT dolls, or even more the adult collector barbies and those things. They're 'brushable', aren't they? But they have a much higher price point than some of the figures available. Are they toys, because they have hair? What about the OOAK customs and repaints people make from these? Are those toys, or are they art?

This brings us back to the issue of custom ponies, which OP has already made a separate thread about. But again it's subjective - individual collectors will choose whether a custom goes beside a real pony, or on its own, or whether it has more or less status in the collection because of it's particular meaning.

The only thing wrong with that is telling someone else that their perspective is 'confused' based on not recognising different opinions exist on what constitutes 'quality'.

I guess that I don't judge the price point/production process as a determiner of quality in any of the things I own. :/
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 07:16:18 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2020, 07:02:13 AM »
The quality of an item, I feel, does not affect what it should be displayed with. Whether it looks good or not is a matter of personal opinion.

I currently have 6 of the statues from Trail of Painted Ponies on my desk (because most of my shelves have been removed from my space and I'm pending on moving hopefully next year) and I plan on displaying them with lower quality items that are horse related (older Grand Champion horses and some Kid Core horses I have stored away) along with some really fragile horse models that I have that have easy to scratch paint (yeah they were models meant for display and not play and me as a kid didn't know that).

My ponies are a mix and match at the moment between the generations and customs. I don't buy the "higher quality, higher dollar" items due to price point (and interest). I do have two of the Guardians of Harmony Statutes with the rest of my G4 ponies... but to be honest, I don't feel that their "supposed" quality makes them need to be displayed with something that isn't of a lesser quality.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2020, 07:44:44 AM »
I really think the main point is that currently, the brushables are so cheap and low quality that they aren't as collectible as even past generations. As inflation happens Hasbro refuses to raise the price point and instead lowers the quality. I would honestly pay the $10-15 to have even G3 level quality.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2020, 07:49:03 AM »
I really think the main point is that currently, the brushables are so cheap and low quality that they aren't as collectible as even past generations. As inflation happens Hasbro refuses to raise the price point and instead lowers the quality. I would honestly pay the $10-15 to have even G3 level quality.

Also agreed, but the OP didn't specify G4, so what was said carries over to all generations, and that's why the topic is problematic.

...G4 brushables, some have decent quality but sadly a lot don't :( Which is entirely on Hasbro, and it would be lovely to see BF type quality on any future pony generation (assuming G4 is really done and PL is a short term thing)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2020, 08:44:53 AM »

If one is art, they pretty much both are.  It%u2019s just a matter of personal taste.

Art is subjective but one is designed to withstand play and one is not.
I could say "this piece of art that was created for young children to play with" or I could say toy. I'm gonna say toy because it's shorter and toy is generally a known word

I don't think it's important to discuss the semantic difference between toy and art in regards to the topic, we could even bring in the topic of capitalism and how that affects the consumption of art, or the consumption of art in different economic  classes.

But the question is does this piece of art that was created for young children to play with look good displayed with art design only to be observed. When that toy art isnt particularly well made.

and again art is subjective (Brightberry I quoted your reply, but my response is in general to what has been said in this thread overall since my last reply)

Thank you!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 08:50:26 AM by SaraMari »

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2020, 09:13:04 AM »
The comment OP made about the BF brushables also really confuses the issue because they're $10 toys. They may be a throwback to our childhoods, but they are toys. Their price point is kids and casual nostalgia. There's no argument that those are 'art'. And if you work out the price point of the pony toys from all earlier generations, accounting for inflation as well, you probably have $10 toys. So what really does make them different?

yeah, I didn't get that either? I've paid more for probably 90% of my original G1s than what I paid for the repros. I'm kinda confused by this idea that the repros are "meant" to be collectibles along the same lines of the Bishoujo figures?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal