collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High returns again!  (Read 42486 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High returns again - 19/07 SDCC B+W Voltageous Frankie
« Reply #120 on: July 23, 2022, 01:41:29 PM »
SDCC 2022 Frankie

B+W version of Power Ghouls Frankie (Voltageous). She's nice enough but not my thing personally, I didn't really care for the original Voltageous either though. Kinda burned out on the black-and-white versions of the dolls too. But it's cool to see we're getting a SDCC doll already, I guess. She's pretty, just not my style.

I actually really like this. Once again amazing box design! MH making a SDCC return is a good sign. Let's see whether they'll be smart enough to keep the G1 a.k.a. Skullector bodies and heads for the future...

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
I'm sad to see them broken up too!! At first I thought "okay, they seem to be leading up to something here, let's just see where they're going with it..." but then G3 turned out to be a reboot/separate continuity/whatever, so now I don't know WHAT to think. They were MH's power couple, they were together right from the start!! I hope there is a second wave of HC that wraps the story up somehow :(

Post Merge: July 19, 2022, 09:43:31 AM

(Sorry for the double-post)

SDCC 2022 Frankie

B+W version of Power Ghouls Frankie (Voltageous). She's nice enough but not my thing personally, I didn't really care for the original Voltageous either though. Kinda burned out on the black-and-white versions of the dolls too. But it's cool to see we're getting a SDCC doll already, I guess. She's pretty, just not my style.

I quite like it! I always loved the B&W Skull Shores doll, so this looks really good. I won't be getting it because I'm not a Frankie collector, but really hoping it sells well!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2022, 06:51:53 AM »
I was pleasantly surprised to see them back at SDCC already :) I hope they keep that up.

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2022, 09:21:40 AM »
Oh I keep forgetting to post this...

Haunt Couture Lagoona and Cleo were shown off at SDCC:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CgSEguZuUzh/

No release date yet as far as I know.

Not as impressed with them as I was with the first three HC dolls (they're good but I don't think they're quite "collector doll" level) but I might need to get Cleo... waiting on more photos in better lighting before I make a decision either way.

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High returns again - 28/07 SDCC previews: HC Lagoona and Cleo
« Reply #124 on: July 28, 2022, 11:09:40 AM »
Is it just me or does Cleo's face look ... 'off' for Cleo? A comment mentions she looks like a EAH doll and I kinda agree

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2022, 01:46:08 PM »
I thought it looked weird, too - not bad but not Cleo - but I didn't want to say anything until we had better photos. The lighting at SDCC was soooo bad X_X

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2022, 06:24:34 AM »
I've been trying real hard to find good photos of the new HC dolls but all I could find were grainy youtube videos with annoying commentary full of yaaaas gurrrrl talk. The instagram link isn't working for me :(

Of what I could see I like them but they are thankfully not must-haves. I was afraid I'd love Cleo so much I'd have to hunt her down, but phew!

Btw, I read rumors that Deuce and Clawdeen are dating in the new movie and o - m - g please don't. I know the original diary canon mentioned Clawdeen briefly being with Deuce but can we please make this girl a lesbian now after 10+ years of Mattel not being okay with it? Geez. Hope it's not true.

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2022, 08:47:44 AM »
I think Cleo and Lagoona are using their G2 faces, unlike the first wave of HC
Freezestime's Masterlist! https://bit.ly/3x1te5n
Dedicated G2 thread! https://bit.ly/3vIIJhL
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new
Forgotten Toy lines! [urlhttps://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=395090.150[/url]

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2022, 08:43:50 AM »
https://www.youloveit.com/dolls/2417-new-monster-high-2022-dolls-masterpost-collector-new-core-plasets-and-more.html

The new Coffin Bean playset has been found, no photos of the playset itself yet (? Not on that site, at least) but that page has lots of photos of the box, which also have a good view of the new G3 dolls!! I like these MUCH better than the last few leaks we've seen - they've toned down the eye size which was really bugging me - Frankie still looks a bit "off" to me (can't put my finger on it, she just looks weirdly proportioned to me somehow? don't think it's her prosthetic.. which is a cool idea, I love them giving a prosthetic limb to a major character!! Don't much care for how her name is scribbled across it though, that's a bit weird) - but the others look great, I love Draculaura's sideglance and Clawdeen's freckles. Lagoona having a gradient on her legs is a cool idea... I like this design in general, it just still doesn't feel like Lagoona to me, you know? I wish they'd just made this design a new character altogether.

I still miss the skinny noodle bodies but I understand that's not the style these days, as long as they keep 'em for the Skullector dolls then I don't mind. :p

The pets are cute, kinda generic, but cute. I like the kitty thing.

I must say though - WHAT went wrong with the box art?!?! That's so ugly!!! I don't get it, usually Mattel's box art looks good even if the doll itself isn't up to much.

Also I might as well copy/paste the list of other dolls that are coming out, not sure where this info first came from but it's been floating around for a while, so I think it's legit?

Deuce Gorgon doll (Amazon exclusive)
Ghoulia Yelps doll (Target exclusive)
Toralei Stripe doll (Walmart exclusive)
Frankie and Deuce 2 pack doll set
Creepover Party dolls
Skulltimate Secrets dolls

Gore-ganizer with Draculaura doll
This Monster High doll and playset inspires spooktastic storytelling and styling play with a posable Monster High doll, lots of accessories that inspire storytelling and styling play, and a carrying case with a monsterric look and a compartments to help keep pieces organized.

Beauty salon playset with Lagoona Blue doll
This Monster High doll and beauty playset inspires spooktastic styling for both the doll and kids with hair chalk and 20+ hair accessories that fit into the included shell-shaped case. The doll wears a fintastic loungewear look and has a face mask and an eye mask for spa day play.

Monster High Bedroom Playset
Monster High car playset 2022
(no descs for these two)

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High returns again - 09/08 Lots of new G3 photos!!
« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2022, 10:53:45 AM »
That link above now also has LOTS of in-hand photos of G3 Draculaura, as well as stock photos of 3 Creepover Party dolls (it also now says there'll be a Twyla in the line too?!? :O Ooooh.. oh yeah I can see her on the boxart now! omg her bunny ears ;A;) and 2 budgets!!

Quick thoughts:
- Very glad Frankie is back to being properly green instead of that weird grey colour they had her as before
- I repeat: GOD the box art is so ugly!! It looks really cheap and bad, more like placeholder art than finalized packaging artwork. Really not sure what happened here :( It doesn't match the dolls at ALL and usually Mattel has good box art? the heck??
- Pleasantly surprised to see the Creepover dolls also come with their pets, wow. The dolls themselves are pretty meh, definitely not as cute as the classic Dead Tired dolls. They also look budget-y to me, which would be fine if it wasn't for the fact that these are more deluxe-scale prices I think..
- They really have no idea how to make Count Fabulous look like a bat, huh. Eagerly anticipating more photos of my favourite pet Crescent. Watzit is still a frankenpuppy, but otherwise looks totally different and is called "Watzie" now?? I don't get it, why the change. I guess it makes it easier to differentiate between the two though.
- The budget Clawdeen looks GOOD, they've struck that sweet spot where the dolls still look cute and fashionable while still keeping it a budget model. I always liked the idea of the budget dolls, but the old ones tended to be pretty boring and cheap-looking. Budget Frankie looks a bit knockoff-y to me? Something about her face. They seem to be going back and forth a lot on what exactly she should look like.

Hope we get pix of Twyla too, I didn't expect her to be back so soon. Ahhh I missed this, the sudden flood of new info out of the blue <3 <3 <3

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 31, 2022, 07:47:16 PM »
OOooo I love the new B&W dolls.  I hope I actually find them.  I never saw any of the Creeproducions.  It was disappointing.

I think these come out in October.
https://www.youloveit.com/dolls/2591-monster-high-black-white-dolls-2022.html
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2022, 01:03:35 PM »
Yessss they're gorgeous!! I really REALLY want that Clawdeen. I love how they come with their pets, and how their hair is longer to the original dolls, really makes them stand out more.

I never saw the Creeproductions, either :( I think Mattel's UK website had them in stock for like 5 minutes.. but so far I've yet to see any of the new dolls in an actual brick-and-mortar store.

Photos of G3 Lagoona have FINALLY popped up (top of the page) and there's some pics of the new Toralei too (lower down, probably easiest if you just CTRL+F to find it):
https://www.youloveit.com/dolls/2417-new-monster-high-2022-dolls-masterpost-collector-new-core-plasets-and-more.html

Lagoona is noticeably different to the prototype shown on the Coffin Bean box, that's a bit disappointing. Sad to see she doesn't have webbed hands now :( And I get why she has scales on her head, but they still look weird to me.. it feels like they're not sure what to do with her, her clothes are all different colourschemes and it's all a bit odd, like they're trying to do 20 things at once. Still don't get why they didn't just make her a new character. And man they wrecked poor Neptuna, she looks sooo weird now..

Toralei... hm... well you have to keep in mind, the werecats are my favourite characters, so I'm gonna be picky... I think she's nice in general but really doesn't feel like Tora! She feels very "unfinished" too, she really needs some stockings or leggings or SOMEthing to bring it all together. And WHERE ARE HER STRIPES!!! Two barely-visible stripes mostly hidden by her hair just isn't gonna cut it!! She looks weirdly bare without her stripes. :/ Clothes remind me of those Wild Hearts Crew dolls... and is Sweet Fangs just straight-up a recycled Cave Crew pet mold??? she looks a LOT like the pets from that line... googled around a bit and couldn't find any CC pets that matched, but damn if she doesn't look like a misplaced CC pet.. the aesthetic of the pets this gen is so weird, they don't look bad but they don't really look like they belong with the dolls, either? They look like they're from another line.

It seems like they've merged all the werecats together... Toralei has a microphone (Catty) and a beauty mark (Catrine).. have seen some folks say her hairline reminds them of the twins too, which yeah I can sorta see. Very odd... and it looks like she's in a band now? Hissfits.. is that a Jem ref (Misfits)??

Also I miss the notch in her ear. :( I don't get it, the other dolls have lots of molded AND painted details on them, why skimp on the painted details for Toralei...? :/ I do like her in general but ngl she's disappointing compared to the other G3 dolls.

edit: Also there's some weird-looking new plushies at the bottom of that page, not really a fan of those.

Also
https://www.youloveit.com/dolls/2562-monster-high-micro-figures-dolls-from-super-impulse.html
Tiny MH figures!! Eeeeeee. I wish Draculaura had her hair streaks (if they can do it for Frankie...) but otherwise these look really good.

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2022, 01:53:35 PM »
The pictures are still loading for me, bear with me!

I don't get why Frankie is Abbey blue rather than ... well, Frankie coloured

I don't like what they did to 'Goona :c This is not the saltie I liked!

I LOVE the addition of the prosthetic leg on Frankie tho! Inclusive AND fits her backstory!

I DON'T like Clawdeens big oversized eyes :C :C :C :C :C NOOOO

Cleo looks good, but her eyes seem a little off-colour? Like they're sunfaded or poorly colour printed or like she's ... dead?

Thats ... not ... Toralei??? That's literally Caterine De Mew?????

I'm not feelin' it :c Still doesn't seem to get the creepy-cool feel of the original. I'll still watch for an Abbey or Catty Noir. I'm very sad for Lagoona's complete redesign

Offline Ponyrama_95

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2022, 04:59:38 AM »
does anyone know if the MH Reef Drama dolls will be a Target exclusive? or will they be sold on the mattel website?

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2022, 07:30:26 AM »
I'm not a fan of Frankie's new colour, either - in general, not just compared to the original mint green. It just doesn't look good to me.

Re: Lagoona, honestly idk why they didn't just make her a whole new character. Apparently she's now Latina instead of Australian, so like... you've changed her this much, just go the full mile and give her a new name. I saw some peeps point out that "Lagoona Pink" looks pretty similar to Kelpie (G2 Lagoona's little sister) so... why not just make it her? Gah. I dunno. The design itself is okay (not my style, but to be fair, G1 Lagoona was never one of my favourites either), a bit too cluttered with various elements, but okay... but it's just Not Lagoona.

for Cleo's eyes, it looks like they're glossy/shiny like her body is? it's a bit weird, it does make her look dead. which maybe is the point since... well, technically she is? ^^; If that was the intention then I could get on board with it, I guess. It looks weird but it's not a dealbreaker for me.

See I really do like this Toralei in general, I just hate it as a "Toralei" doll, if that makes sense. She's a great generic werecat but she's just not Tora. Although I did see more pics of her today and it turns out she DOES still have stripes on one arm and leg, they just packaged her in a way that hid her leg stripes lol. So fair enough there, I still wish she had some face stripes though :/ Swap out the beauty mark for some stripes (nothing against the beauty mark, but that's Catrine's thing!) and I'd like her a lot better.

I agree that these still don't quite hit the mark for me, either. They're better than the first prototypes that popped up but they still feel a bit too.... safe? They just don't have the edge that old MH did. I get that they're not gonna be 100% the same as G1, cause y'know it's a different year, trends, etc have changed, they need to keep up with the times etc etc BUT I still think they're just missing that certain something.

does anyone know if the MH Reef Drama dolls will be a Target exclusive? or will they be sold on the mattel website?

I don't think they've said how these are going to be released yet, I hope they're not exclusives though, or if they are, that they're easier to get a hold of than the Creeproductions. I reeeally want that Clawdeen <33

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal