collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any tips on relaxation?  (Read 704 times)

Offline Emfen

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
Any tips on relaxation?
« on: June 03, 2012, 06:35:06 PM »
I've been really stressed out lately, not severely as before but enough to have insomnia. Last night I sat up to 6 am just thinking of work work work! I need my brain to function properly if I am to finish my test for approval to change school.  :huh:
 Got any great tips for relaxing? I could use some. :)
~✿~| No longer actively collecting. |~✿~

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
Re: Any tips on relaxation?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 06:43:19 PM »
For Distraction/Relaxation: Reading. This works every time for me. Pick up a good book and just read it until you're lost in it.

Another good one is a hot bubble bath. I like to turn out the lights and burn some candles (do this carefully). I have aromatherapy bubbles that really calm my nerves when I get uppity.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 06:46:50 PM »
Heat is the most soothing thing I use.  Even if I don't have aches and pains, I'll use a heat wrap or electric blanket on my neck and shoulders and it will take away stress.

Meditation and deep breathing also help.  I'm a big believer in yoga as well!  I do it nightly before bed.

Hope you feel better soon!  I know how much anxiety sucks.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 06:52:55 PM »
Go for a walk - just get out for a bit. Doesn't have to be a long time, just a few minutes to clear your head.

If it's specific things about work (a project or something), write down everything that is on your mind. Then put that paper away until you go to work. That way all the ideas and thoughts in your head are safe somewhere and won't be forgotten, but you don't have to think about them.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 07:49:04 PM »
Chamomile is good too.  Just the smell or in a tea.  hope you feel better soon!

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline Nonnavlis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • ~Tiny Space Princess~
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 07:50:09 PM »
The thing I find most helpful is to listen to soothing music, preferably with a slow beatrate and without distracting vocals. My favourite relaxing soundtrack will always be Flower by Vincent Diamante (It's the soundtrack to a video game, but dear gosh is it ever beautiful. You should try to look it up on YouTube). I find this works best if I can also keep my mind on one train of though while I listen to it (and a train of thought unrelated to my problems). I usually attempt to plot out one of the stories I'm working on, or just puzzle on randomly about ponies or some other happy thing. Sometimes I try and think of what the music reminds me of, and come up with some sort of scene it would fit.

Tea also helps a lot (non-caffeinated, obviously. My favourites are chamomile with honey and mint with a spoonful of sugar). And curling under an electric blanket.

Phekzhen

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 08:30:49 PM »
Personally, video games. It's hard to be stressed when you're blowing up demons in Diablo 3. I also like to go bike riding, hanging out with friends, napping, watching MLP or King of the Hill, or eating.

But there is no one thing that works for everyone. Like, my boyfriend can't relax by playing video games since he gets wicked competitive, and if he doesn't win when he's already stressed, he gets really frustrated. The only thing that does work for everyone would be medications like valium, but you only need to take that route if you suffer from chronic anxiety and you can't function because of it.

If your stress is recurring, seek psychological help. If it's only a sometimes thing, experiment on what works for you.

Does your stress physically manifest yourself? Aches, increased heart rate, digestive issues, can't eat/over eat? Because that has to be handled different than if your mind is just racing all night long.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
I wish  knew! :( I never sleep. I hope some of these ideas help you though!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Emfen

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 02:29:17 AM »
@Phekzen It's temporary stress, the week before school ends of course you get a tad stressed.  :huh:

Thanks everyone for your kind help! I'll make sure to try out the different tips. :)

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 03:57:27 AM »
If your stress is recurring, seek psychological help. If it's only a sometimes thing, experiment on what works for you.

Does your stress physically manifest yourself? Aches, increased heart rate, digestive issues, can't eat/over eat? Because that has to be handled different than if your mind is just racing all night long.

I too deal with recurring stress.   Every single Monday I wake up anxious.   If things at work are not just right (like a while back when my instrument was not working properly) I get ill every morning.  Mine manifests in digestive problems.  Back when my instrument was down I had loose stool for over a month!   I finally went to the doctor, but all she told me was to try a gluten free diet (no thanks!) and gave me anti-diarrhea medication.  While the medication helped get my system back on track, I know that the root cause was not addressed.   I don't want to go on medication for anxiety, because I am afraid of bad side effects.   Going through medication after medication trying to find one that worked I feel would stress me out more!   :/

I've always been one to worry more than most people.   Little things bother me more.   I tend to focus on negative things rather than the positives.   I don't know how to change though.   I have been this way at least since I was a teen, maybe longer.   I don't think I can change it.   I think it is just part of me.   Sometimes I can distract myself, but if things are actually bad then it is about impossible.   

So yeah, I also deal with stress.   Unfortunately I can't always keep it in check.   I do alright most of the time, but there are times I wish I could make it stop.   I hope you find something that works for you!!

Offline Emfen

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 05:22:13 AM »
@wysterarya I completely understand your ways of thinking. Last year I was on a terrible anxiety trip loaded with depression, at one point doctors gave me meds to cope with my issues but to no avail. I figured that if I can find ways to calm naturally I didn't have to feel sick, right now I've been clean since december and I'm feeling great(!). Talking with my psychiatrist have helped me far. :)
But sometimes we seek new ways to get the positive effect, in this case calmness.

Offline Dawn

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 10:20:48 AM »
You could try autogenic training - it's a quick and easy relaxation technique (the basic routine takes literally two minutes) and can help you keep calm throughout the day or in accute situations.
I've been doing it for a few weeks now and it's really helped (I'm generally a nervous person and don't deal with stress very well), the book I've been learning it from is this one, but I'm sure there are good books about it in English too  :)

Also, general things like drinking tea, jogging and spending extortionate amounts of time on tumblr tend to help me as well  ;)

Tenar

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 12:22:02 PM »
The mp3 / recordings of this guy: http://www.withandrewjohnson.com/recordings/
you can get them as apps in the app store if you have an ipod/iphone/ipad

I love them I've bought several of the apps, there are ones for stress, deep sleeping, positivity, etc..  The suggestion is to use it for 3 weeks.  The secret to it though is to actually try it with an open mind, follow the instructions because that's what helps you to relax.

Try the free one, see if it helps
http://www.withandrewjohnson.com/recording/free/relax-free/
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:25:22 PM by Tenar »

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
meditation, tea, quiet music, or a bath.  Or a combination of any of those.  I also stretch or do yoga to relax sometimes, I always feel better afterwards.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 05:11:43 PM »
The thing I find most helpful is to listen to soothing music, preferably with a slow beatrate and without distracting vocals. My favourite relaxing soundtrack will always be Flower by Vincent Diamante (It's the soundtrack to a video game, but dear gosh is it ever beautiful. You should try to look it up on YouTube). I find this works best if I can also keep my mind on one train of though while I listen to it (and a train of thought unrelated to my problems). I usually attempt to plot out one of the stories I'm working on, or just puzzle on randomly about ponies or some other happy thing. Sometimes I try and think of what the music reminds me of, and come up with some sort of scene it would fit.

Tea also helps a lot (non-caffeinated, obviously. My favourites are chamomile with honey and mint with a spoonful of sugar). And curling under an electric blanket.

really i relax to pink floyd and other loud stuff when i am stressed it puts me in a better mood.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal