collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Were you the one to propose? Tell!  (Read 355 times)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Were you the one to propose? Tell!
« on: February 15, 2014, 07:55:57 PM »
Lol I'm in a strange situation. I've been with the wife a good while and several years ago we went and got "married", but eh it's hard to explain. My state isn't one that allows gay marriage but there is one city within the state that will do a domestic partnership documentation. Now it doesn't really mean much of anything obviously except that one city in our state recognizes it to an extent (not sure if I'm explaining myself well).

I know it still might not mean much more than our other document but since before Christmas I had been toying with the idea of actually asking and taking my wife to a state where we could get married. I know when we come home yet again it's not going to mean anything, but I still would like to do that with her. If by some miracle it ever becomes legal in our state from what I've looked up, asked and called about the paper we have done would not really be legal (basically it doesn't serve a purpose at all). I think it would be nice though if we could get married and were married and then someday when the world catches up we're already married. Still with me so far?

For Valentine's day I had ordered my wife a new ring, but it didn't come in yet. I thought I would wait since lol she insists we celebrate two anniversaries. The one where I first asked her to be my girlfriend (in March) and then our "wedding" one in June. I could ask her in March and we could go in June. It wouldn't be anything big and just going to a court house really since I honestly cannot think of one family member other than my sister that would willingly attend a ceremony.

Anyway not putting this in the WYP section as it's not really a problem. I also don't want to like debate anything related to the legal or religious aspect of marriage. I'm just curious about some of you others that have proposed, how did it go? Any LGBT couples that have had it officially done? What was that like and was it a difficult process?  Do tell me all about it. :lovey:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
Re: Were you the one to propose? Tell!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 09:00:51 PM »
Hactually, it will mean something. The supreme court ruled that all marriages must be recognized.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 09:25:02 PM »
Hactually, it will mean something. The supreme court ruled that all marriages must be recognized.
Yup... Struck down DOMA.

Anywho, my lady and I have not married, and our state does not legalize it either. But I would still like to someday...even if it's in another state. I think you guys should definitely do it :). Even if it didn't mean something on paper, it'd mean something to you!

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 02:11:02 AM »
i agree if you want to get married then you should no mattr what sexual oriantation you are you deserve to be happy and included  !!! xaflame

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 02:00:48 PM »
Not me. Hubby did. And he just sorta blurted out that he wanted me to move up here with him. Seeing as he knew that wasn't happening unless we were married, that's what he meant. Yeah..... He's not too great at that sorta thing, but he's still the best.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 07:36:53 PM »
Wife did. We're legally married in NY. She pulled out a ring during my favorite TV show; I was sick, and she gave it to me early to cheer me up.  I think my state is headed towards legal marriage soon; two big cases were just filed.

Maddie, you should text me to talk about this!  :nod:  You probably know, but we went to NYC last Christmas and got married by a monk in the Village. It was amazing. Just the process of seeing all the couples at City Hall was great, and getting the license.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 07:39:17 PM by StoryDreamer »
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 09:16:50 PM »
I'm married but neither of us asked.  Our engagement came about after a series of discussions, and asking my parents if they'd help pay for a wedding if we decided to get married.  We were just in the car and I think hubby said "So we're doing this then?"  And I was like "Why not?"

Soooooo romantic.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:18:33 PM by xeevee »

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 09:26:23 PM »
My husband proposed.  He picked me up after my costume figure drawing class (I was still in grad school in San Francisco - and ironically that night the model was wearing a wedding gown!  Must have been fate, lol).  We went to a nice dinner at the top of the Bank of America building (which has beautiful 360 degree views of the Bay and the Golden Gate Bridge).  I totally thought he was going to propose at dinner, but he didn't.  He then suggested a walk (which after 9 pm at night in SF, I wasn't too sure about, but I said yes anyway).

We drove to Alamo Square Park (which is this iconic SF park here:)

We walked around for a bit, then he dropped on one knee, said a lot of beautiful and personal things, and asked me to be his wife.  It was romantic and I did like the fact that we were alone in the park.  Very special moment.  :heart:

And we're coming up on our 11th wedding anniversary in May!

If you are planning on an "official" proposal, it doesn't really have to be a grand affair.  I think as long as it's special to the two of you, it creates a beautiful memory to reflect on.  Whenever I'm in SF (we live about 40 miles south of the city), or I see pictures of Alamo Square Park, I think of that night.  :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:29:19 PM by ashes »

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 09:34:05 PM »
We drove to Alamo Square Park (which is this iconic SF park here:)

Isn't that the street from Full House?!  What a beautiful spot for him to choose :). And such a cute story.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 09:40:51 PM »
That's a beautiful area Ashes and I bet it was very romantic.

I dunno how romantic I can be on it. A part of me is just annoyed since technically we were married five years ago, and I hate that it doesn't mean anything. I dunno if I can do it again as nice as I did the last time. :lol:  I'll have to come up with some sweet way of handling it though.

SD I will totally have to text you in the morning since I'm about to hit pass out and sleep time. I totally remember talking to you about it, but I def didn't ask lots of questions on the process and legal aspect which I'm curious about. :lookround:

I def should not be this nervous! I've already done it once before. :blush:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 09:45:27 PM »
My fiance proposed to me at the MLP Fair this past summer! It was short, sweet and nerdy and just how I wanted it! He proposed in our hotel room just before we went out to dinner! I was so worried he would propose in public because I am super shy so him proposing in our hotel room was perfect and it made it so intimate and romantic! <3
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 11:04:33 PM »
Ooohh, I've been to Alamo Square Park, Ashes, and it's so lovely there. Such a romantic place for a proposal!

I just remembered that I once was witness to a proposal on the London Eye (big Ferris wheel). A guy pressed his video camera into my hands and asked me to film, and before I knew what was happening, he proposed to his girlfriend. I found it quite romantic, but I still recall that the girl didn't look all that delighted (even though she did say yes). Maybe it was too public for her, or maybe she was just surprised.

And Maddie, I totally agree that you should get married, no matter what the exact legal situation in your state is at the moment. What counts is just to celebrate your love. Whether you propose in public or private, big or small, is totally up to you.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:08:23 PM by SnorkMaiden »

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 01:36:27 AM »
Isn't that the street from Full House?!  What a beautiful spot for him to choose :). And such a cute story.

They do show that park in the opening credits of Full House.  :)

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 06:35:28 PM »
I proposed, in writing, on Valentine's Day 2002. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal