collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Canadian prices question  (Read 428 times)

Pinecone

• Trade Count: (0)
Canadian prices question
« on: September 06, 2012, 10:55:25 AM »
Usually the ponies seem to go for about 2$ more than the American prices from what I can tell. However, today I saw the play sets (Apple family and others) for 12.99. Even though that seems like way overcharging, I got it. Is it common to find items with such price hikes? It retails 7.99 in US so I'd think it would be something like 9.99, but no.

The price wasn't listed but that's what it read at the cash.

Offline xkelpiex

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian prices question
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
That's the normal price for that set here, actually. Really sucks, but what can you do?

Offline therestornadosinmysoup

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 11:55:17 AM »
Canadian retailers used to say it was because of the difference between the US and Cdn dollar. But since it's darn near equal, and has been for awhile, I don't know what their reason/excuse is now. Phooey  :|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 12:40:40 PM »
Canadian retailers have to pay more when they buy/order the ponies, as Canada has a tenth of the population of the USA.  The USA  gets first dibs on orders as they are the largest consumer base, and therefore, they are able to order more of the ponies than the other Hasbro divisions.  Since Canada doesn't have the population to support purchasing in a bulk amount equal to the USA, the prices go up.  :)  Simple supply and demand of the economy!
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Pinecone

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 03:55:48 PM »
Okay, that makes sense. I know it's a silly thing to complain about, I was just rather startled.

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 05:04:45 PM »
Okay, that makes sense. I know it's a silly thing to complain about, I was just rather startled.

Not silly, totally normal thing to complain about. :lol:  I've been kicking about the price of books for years. :P

One thing it does wind up doing is to encourage cross-border shopping excursions for those lucky enough to live close-ish to the border... when I was a child and we nipped into the States on our holidays, I used to stock up on ponies; even then they were way cheaper (and far more accessible) than here.

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 05:20:03 PM »
It's about a %25 increase in price here.  Even some things that are made here cost more than in the us.  It's too bad, but I just can't justify those sets, unless they go on sale.

Pinecone

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 05:28:37 PM »
Yeah, I don't think I'll be picking up any more sets unless there's a Hoity Toity.

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 05:45:41 PM »
I'm going to get the Apple Family set if ever I see it, and then only another should they release Flim & Flam.  Though a Photo Finish would make me waver... ^.^

Ooo, just a note; I saw the sets at Zellers, which is interesting considering they'll be closing soon.  (Ours won't go till near Christmas, so it'll stay pretty well stocked until Decemberish.)

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal