collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Have You Caught the Skylanders Bug?  (Read 11475 times)

Offline TraderTif

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Have You Caught the Skylanders Bug?
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012, 11:07:47 AM »
I thought Whirlwind was a Target exclusive......but I saw 2 of them in Walmart today (along with a bunch of the newest ones)......what's up with that??

Offline barbgirl1999

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/barbgirl1999
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2012, 11:30:41 AM »
I thought Whirlwind was a Target exclusive......but I saw 2 of them in Walmart today (along with a bunch of the newest ones)......what's up with that??

I remember reading somewhere that the exclusives were going to become non-exclusive after general release, so that would explain it.  I also saw Drill Sargeant at GameStop, and he was a Wal-Mart exclusive to begin with.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

~Rodan+Fields~

Offline Eternia

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2012, 11:33:15 AM »
I like Whirlwind best. She spits rainbows.
awwww! I really want whirlwind. They are so hard to find in my area :(
I like playing as spyro best, I'm biased I guess :p But I also enjoy wrecking ball. The figure looks dumb, but in game he's adorable and I love his wrecking ability.
My Wantlist! Connect with me! Facebook Tumblr Flickr Instagram=oatcouturepony & charmingplastics
No girly swap this year!

Offline crimsondeity

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2012, 02:15:40 PM »
I snagged a Whirlwind at Target before the holidays, since she was an exclusive. I plan on getting all of them once they aren't as hard to find. I'll get the game as well for Spyro, but I'm not sure whether or not I'll play the game through. I just think the figurines are cute!

Offline Echo_Shell

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • De Omnibus Dubitandem.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2012, 02:52:34 PM »
Is there someplace that shows off some of the unreleased characters?

Offline crimsondeity

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 03:21:24 PM »

Is there someplace that shows off some of the unreleased characters?

Do you mean all the charaters, or just the ones that haven't been released?

Because the official site here [size=78%]http://www.skylanders.com/[/size] shows all the characters that have been announced. I know that they plan on slowly releasing additional characters, but to the best of my knowledge, nothing has been shown or specifically mentioned.

Offline Bunny-san

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ponydex.com
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 07:16:51 AM »
Ok, so I'll be honest. I went to Gamestop last night with the FULL intention of picking up Skylanders. Honestly. I did. But I decided not to after talking to the salesperson for a good 30 minutes about it. I'll see if what she said is true (and what led to my not purchasing). So she said that in order to unlock all the gates in the game, you are *required* to buy all the figures? In other word, you buy a fifty dollar game (on sale right now), and you can't even PLAY the whole thing without spending an extra...four figures per element..ten ? elements...minus the three...Lets just say an extra hundred or so dollars (I'm ballparking) on figures? TO UNLOCK content you already PURCHASED? See if that's true, to me that is a MASSIVE marketing ploy and a HUGE ripoff! And completely *different* from buying DLC, as DLC *ADDS NEW* content to the game, and does not unlock content you should already have access to.

SO. Is it true? Did the lady make a mistake? Are the figures required to make progress in gates in the game? This is a pivotal answer in whether or not I purchase or not =\ I'm just the type that doesn't like getting ripped off...

Oh, and as far as The pokemon thing goes about having to have the different versions to get all of the Pokemon, that stopped with Pokemon Black and White. You are now able to get them over the Global Trade Station, and you can also sync your game cards with the new Dream World game that Nintendo has on the web and you can get a new Pokemon that you can't catch in Black and White every day (free!) So There's kind of no comparison anymore ^^;

Thank you artists for my siggys!

Offline Eternia

• MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »
Ok, so I'll be honest. I went to Gamestop last night with the FULL intention of picking up Skylanders. Honestly. I did. But I decided not to after talking to the salesperson for a good 30 minutes about it. I'll see if what she said is true (and what led to my not purchasing). So she said that in order to unlock all the gates in the game, you are *required* to buy all the figures? In other word, you buy a fifty dollar game (on sale right now), and you can't even PLAY the whole thing without spending an extra...four figures per element..ten ? elements...minus the three...Lets just say an extra hundred or so dollars (I'm ballparking) on figures? TO UNLOCK content you already PURCHASED? See if that's true, to me that is a MASSIVE marketing ploy and a HUGE ripoff! And completely *different* from buying DLC, as DLC *ADDS NEW* content to the game, and does not unlock content you should already have access to.

SO. Is it true? Did the lady make a mistake? Are the figures required to make progress in gates in the game? This is a pivotal answer in whether or not I purchase or not =\ I'm just the type that doesn't like getting ripped off...
There are 32 characters and you by no means have to have all 32! There are 8 elements in the game, and to get past the various gates, you need one of each element. So, if you want to get every single little thing, you need 8 figures, one of each type. You get 3 in the starter pack, so you only would need to buy 5 more. the gates are not detrimental to the game, they give you more money and 'hats'- the hats give you stat boosts. You can beat the game fine with just the 3 it comes with, the gates are just a fun little bonus I think, not necessary for game completion.
hope that helps :)
My Wantlist! Connect with me! Facebook Tumblr Flickr Instagram=oatcouturepony & charmingplastics
No girly swap this year!

Offline barbgirl1999

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/barbgirl1999
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2012, 08:31:25 AM »
Yeah, like Eternia said, you can beat the game just fine with the 3 that it comes with, but if you play for trophies, you won't get them all without buying at least 5 more figures so that you have one of each element.  The gates are just "elemental challenges" and don't push the story forward or anything at all.  They're just for bonuses.

~Rodan+Fields~

Offline Bunny-san

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ponydex.com
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2012, 08:52:10 AM »
So an extra 40 dollars (US) to access the full content of the game? ( If you buy them singularly, at least. I know there's 3 packs that are 20 a piece...so yeah still 40 :P) I am a completionist, unfortunately. I'm not down for spending extra money to access content I've already purchased. It feels too much like a con to me. :( I'm glad you guys enjoy it, but I think I'll have to take a pass. Thanks for the info guys!

Thank you artists for my siggys!

Offline Private_Bubbles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • I'm Bubbles, Private Bubbles.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2012, 03:46:07 AM »
It looks so awesome and I really want it for Wii, but at $99 I can't really afford it right now :(
I'll just stick with my older Spyro games <3

Offline Squirtsquirt

• Trade Count: (+235)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2012, 11:07:39 AM »
We have been playing, but we have settled down until the next wave of figures comes out.  We did buy a few figures on eBay, but not for ridiculous prices! 

One salesman told us that the exclusive figures will be re-released in a 3 pack, so we are holding out for that!  I wish they would hurry up and fill the stock, though.  This is horrible having to wait months!
Thanks to Whippetluv for my awsome persona pony!!

keikokukien

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2012, 02:33:31 PM »
I just sold the pirate ship set on ebay yesterday...But I have an extra whirlwind and cynder. My sister caught this particular bug around christmas (since I work in a game store) and if I'd have known they were THIS hard to find, I would have just bought all our stock months ago. XD; My sis has had my entire family scouting for her...

So when I saw three she didn't have yet in the store, I bought them up. Unfortunately, I called her as I was leaving the store and she tells me quite flippantly, "I just bought those 'sissy. Take them back." ...So...I still have Whirlwind (which is ADORKABLE! Rainbows and clouds that kick butt!!) and Cynder still. I'm trying hard not to want them too. lol

Post Merge: January 28, 2012, 02:36:01 PM

It looks so awesome and I really want it for Wii, but at $99 I can't really afford it right now :(
I'll just stick with my older Spyro games <3

I'm not sure about all of the platforms, but recently, at Game Stop, the price for the 3DS version was reduced to $49. I'm still not sure if that was a sale of the week or not, but you could probably make that much AT LEAST from the figures alone. Then you could afford the Wii version. Or if you have a 3DS, all the figures work for all the systems :)

Post Merge: January 28, 2012, 02:45:13 PM

Oh, and as far as The pokemon thing goes about having to have the different versions to get all of the Pokemon, that stopped with Pokemon Black and White. You are now able to get them over the Global Trade Station, and you can also sync your game cards with the new Dream World game that Nintendo has on the web and you can get a new Pokemon that you can't catch in Black and White every day (free!) So There's kind of no comparison anymore ^^;

Ah...well, you get 3 with the game as someone said before....and yes, to get all the treasure and things, you do need one of each element, but you can play through the game just fine with only 3. ^ ^ And~ it's a two player game. Dunno if anyone else has realized that? It took me tripping over the remote and accidentally starting up the second player to realize we could do that XD It helps level up faster and is pretty fun. My sister is 8 years younger than me and this is kind of our weekly bonding time before she remembers that she's a teenager again and dosen't need anyone else. (Sorry to the teenagers in the forum. ^ ^;; I was that way when I was that age too XD) You could always buy a few now and wait until the price drops in a few months. I approximate...around July/August. For some strange reason, that's the off season for gaming. Go figure!

But really, I enjoy playing it with her even though it's her game. It's a great way to accessorize a game, that's for sure!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 02:45:13 PM by keikokukien »

Offline Echo_Shell

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • De Omnibus Dubitandem.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2012, 04:38:39 PM »

You're missing the point.  They're all extra.  They're all optional.  Nobody's forcing you to buy anything.  For extra content, (the characters and everything that may be attached) you may choose to buy them.  You may choose to pass.  It is the same as DLC - exactly the same.  And when a single character for Dragon Age Origins will cost me $14.99 on Playstation Store, $7-$9 for Cynder seems a decent price to me.

And for Pokemon - I would LOVE to be able to purchase some of the rarer ones for the price of a Skylanders figure.  But that's just me.

Offline Eternia

• MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2012, 12:43:18 PM »
cynder is awesome! She's my favorite to play with now, I love her little ghosties. So while playing this weekend, our portal started freaking out, like I would go to switch out my skylander and my bf's character would be 'reset' as well. which was annoying. and then mid-play it would say that a skylander had been taken off.
anyone else having issues with their portals? I reset it, so hopefully that fixes the problem.
No girly swap this year!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal