collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The first thought I had this morning-  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
The first thought I had this morning-
« on: April 15, 2017, 11:28:44 AM »
-is kind of a stupid one but just. Do me one favor and consider thinking about it.

Imagine you're at a thrift store/garage sale/flea market/whatever and you find a pony most people will NEVER find ~in the wild~ as the kids say. Maybe it's Mimic or a grail or a nirvana (yes people have found those too, and not just in places like Europe where driving to another country is like driving a couple towns over for us Americans™) and wow! She's super cheap too!

But a little kid also wants this pony. Like not the bag of toys she might be situated in- they want this particular specific pony you've got in your sights. Do you give the pony to the kid, keep it and explain the value, make up some outlandish sob story about some rare incurable disease you don't actually have or what? Because even I'm struggling with this now and I need help.  :sad:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: The first thought I had this morning-
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 11:46:06 AM »
I'm kind of a doormat, so in this situation, I'd likely give up the pony regardless of the other person's age. You could also say the pony is better off with the child because ponies ought to be played with... On the other hand, children are fickle creatures, so the pony may be quickly forgotten, gone to waste. I'd say make a decision based on your pre-existing knowledge of the child's behavior and tendencies, but if this isn't something you have... Ask the parents?  :wonder:

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 12:37:14 PM »
I feel like I've been in this situation at a garage sale.  I had a large pokemon plush and the a kid approached me and he really wanted it.  I think I just said sorry I already bought this and moved on. 

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 12:47:55 PM »
I guess I'm not as nice as you guys.  If I don't have it and I found it first, I keep it.  If it's one I already have I'd consider leaving it for the kid, but it would also depend on whether or not I'd seen the kid acting like a brat in the store already.  If they ask me why I need it (and I'm not about to let them have it), I either tell them the truth that I want it  or else I lie and say that one of my nieces was looking for it.

Thrift stores are a first come, first serve, finders keepers kind of place.  Just because someone has something in their cart that you want, they are not required to hand it over, nor are you required to give up your find to someone else.

Also, if it's an 80s pony they're made of a different plastic than the newer ones and I read somewhere that the 80s plastic recipe isn't being used anymore because it's been found to be bad for kids to play with.  So really, by keeping it you could be saving a kid's life.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 12:54:18 PM »
First come, first serve...
That's a part of life. In this situation the item shouldn't be given up based on age and no other information. It could just be a greedy kid who always gets their way.

(PS I find myself to be a nice person but this isn't a situation I feel like that the other person should get their way)

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 12:55:36 PM »
I wanna say I'd be noble, but I'm not entirely sure if I would be.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 01:14:34 PM »
I normally just plan that in the event something like that happens I'd apologize to the kid and say it's for my little sister. Which through a long complicated string of loopholes it totally is lol. It just seems like the situation would go over so much easier if I didn't say it was for me. If I got the pony first then I should have to give it up. There's also as has been mentioned before there is the possibility of the pony no longer being safe to be a child's toy. Pony could have a plasticizer leak, mold, or rust.

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 01:44:26 PM »
As someone who recently kept an eye on a kid in goodwill who was carrying around a spyro plush in hopes his mother made him put it down so I could snatch it - I'd probably come up with an excuse to take the pony.  :lookround:
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 02:03:15 PM »
i wouldn't give it up. first off, i found it first >: )! secondly, older ponies arent safe for kids to have anyway! so if the mom had the nerve to come up to me, another adult, and demand i give it up id kindly let her know about all the lead and plasticizer leaking out of these babies.

wishlist

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 02:16:33 PM »
i would keep the pony sorry but most kids wreck stuff in my experience i have seen kids come in the shop where i work ( charity shop ) and grab a porcelain doll out of the toy basket and throw it and it broke  and the mum did nothing just walked out didn't even give us a donation for what the little crap broke !!!!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 02:25:17 PM »
If I had the pony in my hands or in my basket unless an adult came over and demanded that I give the pony to their child I would keep it. :)

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 02:47:31 PM »
Finders keepers :P I actually had something like this once, but with another collector, not a kid - they were looking for a pony that I'd just picked up. Like others have said, first come, first serve; that's just the way the world works, haha. (Plus the whole "G1s-aren't-necessarily-safe-for-kids-any-more" thing... but also finders keepers. :P)

i would keep the pony sorry but most kids wreck stuff in my experience i have seen kids come in the shop where i work ( charity shop ) and grab a porcelain doll out of the toy basket and throw it and it broke  and the mum did nothing just walked out didn't even give us a donation for what the little crap broke !!!!

:shocked: That's awful! Some people, ugh..

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 03:02:41 PM »
Yeah, despite how awkward it would make me, first come first serve. If the parent came up telling me to give it to their kid that would make me even less likely to give it up. They aren't teaching their kid any lessons​ about patience / you don't get everything handed to you. But I have never experienced this, typically the kids go straight for the bigger or flashier toys and yeah just throw them all over

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Blue Haired Ken Doll

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
  • Always eat your vegetables young grasshopper ♡
    • View Profile
    • My Blog ♡
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 03:24:58 PM »
I'm hearltess in these situations, I'd say "sorry I want this and I'm faster" and be on my way lol
To me G1's aren't toys anymore, they're vintage collectables and like a child shouldn't be messing it up lol
(ᵄ̴̶̷́ॢ ˙̮ ᵄ̴̶̷̀∗ॢ) ♡ Formerly known as Diamond Pony

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 03:29:46 PM »
If it were a G1. I honestly would keep it for myself. Because of how they were manufactured and how they age I wouldn't give it to a kid on that merit, not even taking into account the rarity of the pony in question. And I mean. Who knows what could be lurking inside the thing that the parent might not even think to clean! I'd feel bad, because they were originally kids toys, but their safety is more important than happiness in this instance.

Also a little bit of it is first come, first serve, but. I don't want to admit to that lol.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal