collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Twinkle Eye Question  (Read 342 times)

Offline summerday

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Thanks Brightberry for my avatar!
    • View Profile
Twinkle Eye Question
« on: October 19, 2013, 11:01:02 AM »
What have you used to recoat the eyes on a TE pony. I've got a project I'm working.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Twinkle Eye Question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 11:29:55 AM »
I hear some people have had success with nail polish but you may want to check out the Customs forum and see if anyone has advice!  :)  Best of luck with your project.
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 11:55:27 AM »
I believe you can find clear iridescent paint, which would be my best idea. Paint it then seal it.

Offline summerday

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 02:11:09 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 02:12:25 PM »
I just want to say I tried glossy mod podge but it did NOT do anything that I could see a difference... so... that did NOT work for me. :biggrin: - thought that info might be as helpful as something that does work? maybe? :)
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline summerday

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 02:14:25 PM »
I just want to say I tried glossy mod podge but it did NOT do anything that I could see a difference... so... that did NOT work for me. :biggrin: - thought that info might be as helpful as something that does work? maybe? :)

It sure is. I've read about using glass paints, so I might give it a try. Otherwise, I think my pony will be fine without it.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 07:03:12 AM »
I've used iridescent nail polish with some success, but the stuff I have looks a bit cloudier than original Twinkle Eye shine. It looks a lot better than no coating at all, though. I will have to search out proper paint that produces a closer effect, one of these days.

Here are my nail polish results:
Masquerade's new coating, compared to Locket's original coating:

Masquerade's new coating, and Fizzy pre-treatment, with all her original coating gone:

Fizzy post treatment:

Hope that helps a bit. :)
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 07:08:30 AM »
The problem is most materials will leave a glare/smear/cloud on the eye or even seal to make the scratches more apparent. In addition some things will change colour over time - the worst for this is clear nail polish. It starts great but it can yellow/cloud over the years.

This is not the stuff I use but I cant find the product online - I buy it at a local hobby shop - but this is the same idea. http://www.liquitex.com/iridescentmedium/ - I would recommend testing with it first and using a very light hand to apply as otherwise the pearly coating becomes too apparent.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline summerday

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 12:30:17 PM »
I really can't wait to try some of these. I'm turning my BBE Shady into a TE. She already looks better with just the gems. She looked sick with her rusty eyes.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 02:48:43 PM »
The problem is most materials will leave a glare/smear/cloud on the eye or even seal to make the scratches more apparent. In addition some things will change colour over time - the worst for this is clear nail polish. It starts great but it can yellow/cloud over the years.

This is not the stuff I use but I cant find the product online - I buy it at a local hobby shop - but this is the same idea. http://www.liquitex.com/iridescentmedium/ - I would recommend testing with it first and using a very light hand to apply as otherwise the pearly coating becomes too apparent.

Good to know! I felt okay doing it with Masquerade and Fizzy as they're already restored-- they have partial rehairs, and both, sadly, have age spots so they'll never be perfect display quality anyway. I will have to look into that paint though. :)
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 12:48:18 AM »

Good to know! I felt okay doing it with Masquerade and Fizzy as they're already restored-- they have partial rehairs, and both, sadly, have age spots so they'll never be perfect display quality anyway. I will have to look into that paint though. :)

It takes a long time for it to change and it depends how thick the nail polish was applied as to how much of a colour change you will see. So I am sure it will be fine :) And you may not even notice!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal