collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "THAT" custom...  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
"THAT" custom...
« on: May 06, 2012, 11:16:33 PM »
So.
I'm guessing that any of us who have been customizing foe a while have a story about THAT custom.
You know, the one you dread even looking at because it was going to be amazing and it just fell dismally short, but not short enough for you to scrap it and start over? The one that your friends say they love but no matter how much positive feedback you get on it, it's still this glaring reminder of the time your custom flopped?

What pony was it and what would you do differently next time?

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: "THAT" custom...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 11:34:22 PM »
That would be My Little Deadpool:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I love the paint job on him, totally satisfied with that... but ugh... the clay work, it makes me cringe. it was my first one, and I am so going to remake him with a different pose pony and better clay work

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 02:14:58 AM »
That would be my Sharon Needles pony. My mom, boyfriend, sister and sister's friend all said that they liked it, but I still see nothing but flaws when I look at it. :| Perhaps the reason I'm so critical is because it's a gift... Either way, there are a lot of things I wish I could redo about it.

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline Ellis1342

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Doodle or do not doodle! There is no artist block!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 05:12:05 AM »
Mine would be my cabage patch Ferret Shock. I had an idea to use fuzzy yarm hair like I have seen some to...it was aweful so I just threw some regular hair on and crimped it. Its not bad, but I'm not thrilled with it. May redo it in the future...dunno really. Just not too happy

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 06:05:40 AM »
Oh, but the ferrety pony is just soo cute!!!  I think it's the expression on his face, but I love him.
:socks:   :frog:

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 06:35:03 AM »
I do know about "that" pony... for me, it's the pony I made for the egyptian swap. I look back on it and I just feel... awful. I made so many poor choices, and I feel like my partner just deserved a better pony.

I mean, those gems on the forehead? What was I thinking?? And that poor cat just looks like it's melted. And I know by now the dye must have bled through everything.

Offline Dee_Kary

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://deekary.deviantart.com
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 07:44:07 AM »
For me it's the second custom I ever did (and that it's still with me, haven't found a buyer yet). This girl was my first pony painted over the original body color, and I'm happy with the design I did on the body, but the eyes and hair is what I still can't feel good with!

The eyes are too "dilated" for my taste, and too much bratz-like. The hair had streaks of donated hair from a Rarity (super curly and hard to control!!) and if it that wasn't enough I chose to use clear tinsel... WORST. DECISION. EVER. She looked like one of those people touching a Van de Graaf generator! XD All her tinsel has been taken off by now, and I'm seriously considering to redo her eyes and hair in the future. Or even re-bait her, since she's the Twilight version with bangs... and they've become scarce! :P
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 07:46:11 AM by Dee_Kary »

Thanks to Rainbowjuice and SourdoughStomper for the sigs, and moonflower for the avie!
My deviantart / Commissions: Closed

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 08:20:46 AM »
Mine would be my very first attempt at a custom...I baited one of my original ponies (don't worry...was a snuzzle or something like that..or maybe cotton candy...) and it turned out horribly.  My idea wasn't bad, but the execution of it was.  I don't think I still have it, or I would show you.  This was about....ten years ago now.  xD  I tried t put those fabric wings from butterfly decorations on her (They are pretty but don't seem to work well), and the holes looked awful, and so did her paint and hair job, though I was rather pleased with my ingenuity on the hair...I couldn't order any at the time, so I used threads from a jumprope...turned out to be kinky curly and very pretty shade of purple, but it looked thin. 

Offline lemontwist

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 08:24:43 AM »
Maybe it's because I'm still new to customizing, but I think all these are beautiful! And I love the Ferret Shock one, omg so cute from the front!
Sales - Pony and Doll Wishlist!

Offline Katgyrl

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Just a pony and her sewing machine...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 10:04:30 AM »
I actually love the eyes on Raspberry Bloom!

Isn't it so true it is hard to get over the flaws we see in our own work, even if no one else can see them!

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 11:14:38 AM »
I know, it's so funny how we see our own ponies' flaws but to other people they are super cute.
This one is mine

Is she the worst pony in the world? No. But Those lame/glued-on wings are awful. The flocking on her feet was very sparse and that pretty metal swirly thing on her face makes me nuts. I fell in love with it and could not get past it to really edit my design. I am going to try to join the Masquerade Swap just to prove to myself that I can do a better masquerade pony. This one will probably be turned into a black circus pony at some point, so I don't have to do a ton to her, but right now, she haunts me...

deeleelambbaa

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 11:15:19 AM »
ugh...oh gosh... my Jim Raynor pony...
I made it for my boyfriend for his birthday. It's based on a character from his favorite video game, Starcraft II. He thought it'd be a b.a. idea for a pony, but kept saying it'd be too hard to make into a pony because of all the armor... i should have listened to him  :huh:

the sculpting is so bulky, and unrefined and it cracked a lot because I have crappy sculpting material and... gosh... the shoulder armor and leg plates fell off recently and I hate looking at it when I go over to his house, but he keeps saying that it looked and will look amazing still once I fix it. I just can't agree with him on that >_<

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 12:48:22 PM »
No Division, cats are melty in real life.  It makes sense to look that way on a pony. 
Mine would be Ruby Rhapsody. First pony.  Must get a pic of her.  Dyed the entire pony in Scarlet Rit.  Used a really cool sticker for a cutie mark, sealed in Modge Podge.  Realized later that I should have temporarily sealed the eyes first as they took some of the dye and my paint job to fix it stinks.  She's starting to fade, but she still has kick tush red hair and pretty good curls.  And in Charlie's mind, she's a red pony and that's what matters.  ;)
:socks:   :frog:

Miserati

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 12:55:50 PM »
Mine is the horrendous Dragon Blossom. It was my first attempt at sculpting, first FBR(which came out smooth at least) and also my second custom ever and I went a little overboard with it.

It still makes me cringe and is put on the very back corner of my customs shelf where I can't see it. This is unfortunately the one my boyfriend has most often showed people when they're curious about what I do.

Even the pictures make me cringe.  >_<  I so badly want to rip everything off and make her fresh, new and pretty.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal