collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "Mark" your pony??  (Read 3432 times)

Offline zzzova

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
"Mark" your pony??
« on: February 14, 2012, 03:10:45 AM »
I was reading about a girl that was going to give new hair to her ponys and several said that you should "mark" the pony if you do.
Well how should I mark it? :blink:

Thanks for the answers  :lol:

(i didn't find the one i was reading so i hope its okey that i made a new one ^^ )

Offline salemsparkler

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • TotallySparkler on Etsy
Re: "Mark" your pony??
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 04:37:06 AM »
mark it with "re-hair" under one hoof for example.

xx

Offline maycrestmom

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 06:16:09 AM »
yeah, I put DF on a hoof for manky SoSoft ponies I deflock... just a good thing as these toys can be around hundreds of years
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

loves me dem green ponies (thank you Lunar!)

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 07:35:58 AM »
I'd rather put a note on a string around its neck to avoid ruining the pony.

Offline StrawberryFair

• Trade Count: (+264)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 08:22:56 AM »
Well, it would take one heck of a skilled hand for someone to be able to cut new hair to look like a factory cut. You can always tell when a pony has been rehaired, both from this and from the new quality of the hair. Old hair is very differently textured simply due to 30 years of weathering.

If it was a custom she was referring to, many customizers (such as myself) add a symbol or initials on a bottom hoof as a "signature" of sorts. ;)

Offline Firebyrd

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.firebyrd.net
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 02:29:25 PM »

Yes, and what happens if someone removes the note and then sells the pony again?  You don't know where these ponies are going to end up in the future or in whose hands.  I think it's simple politeness to mark a restore as such to help protect future buyers from people passing them off as original when they're not, because it /does/ affect their value.

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 02:57:27 PM »

Yes, and what happens if someone removes the note and then sells the pony again?  You don't know where these ponies are going to end up in the future or in whose hands.  I think it's simple politeness to mark a restore as such to help protect future buyers from people passing them off as original when they're not, because it /does/ affect their value.

And unfortunately it has happened time and time again. :(
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

Offline naylastar

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 03:00:18 AM »
Well, it would take one heck of a skilled hand for someone to be able to cut new hair to look like a factory cut. You can always tell when a pony has been rehaired, both from this and from the new quality of the hair. Old hair is very differently textured simply due to 30 years of weathering.

If it was a custom she was referring to, many customizers (such as myself) add a symbol or initials on a bottom hoof as a "signature" of sorts. ;)

Ditto, I sign every custom I make under her hooves.

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 10:13:50 AM »

Actually, the way I do  rehairs are easy to separate. I never glue the hair! So if somepony who dont know if its a rehair and want to know, its just to pull the hair. Quite a fail safe test which dont injure the pony itself. I also dont glue the head back on if I can avoid it and I like to make the hair longer than the original hair.

In any case I am not selling the few rehairs I have done, atleast not anytime soon.

Offline tehrin

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 12:44:56 PM »
I've been writing on the bottom of mine with a fine point sharpie, detailing what I've done with it. Like if I've done a partial rehair, what parts were rehaired and how much.

(also click for my sales here. :3)

Offline Firebyrd

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.firebyrd.net
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 01:05:06 PM »

Actually, the way I do  rehairs are easy to separate. I never glue the hair! So if somepony who dont know if its a rehair and want to know, its just to pull the hair. Quite a fail safe test which dont injure the pony itself. I also dont glue the head back on if I can avoid it and I like to make the hair longer than the original hair.

In any case I am not selling the few rehairs I have done, atleast not anytime soon.

But someone who isn't a knowledgeable collector isn't going to know from those things.  There was just a thread on this in the Corral, where someone had bought what they thought was a very nice Baby Lemondrop but it was a rehair.  Marking a pony on the bottom of the hoof in the case of restoration isn't a bad thing /because they've already lost much of their value/.  No one can see it on the bottom of the hoof when it's on display and it saves people from unscrupulous or unknowledgeable sellers. 

Dyzarktarzk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 04:32:34 PM »
I've seen  a lot of customs signed (my only custom is still needing a signature... but I think it'll be sooner to go to my artists city to ask for it XD).

With rehairs, paint retouches, I've seen written what was made on one hoof, and in one case (I think it was a total rehair) was carved.

Sakuyamon, I think it's a good idea to put a note on the pony, but as others have said, if you sell/trade/lost/etc. the pony, it can fall into someone who doesn't know/nor does care what's happened to the pony.

It's not bad if you keep them always, but while saying goodbye to them, some problems can occur.

And unfortunately, not all open their ponies to check the inside condition (me included), so checking the head is not always an option.  Even with loose heads, it scares me to behad a pony o.o
And a small note or mark isn't visible and does not bother =)

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 09:57:34 PM »
I think if you rehair a pony, you should just put a small "RH" on the bottom of one hoof.  Any collector should know what that means  :)

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 03:25:58 AM »

So...the hair would just pull out? =/

To be honest, if I got a pony and brushed it's hair and it all just...popped out, I'd be pretty disappointed.
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 10:52:01 AM »
usually the hair will hold in place, and can be lightly styled, but if you brushed it hard or washed it it would come out.

love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal