collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Plant Thread  (Read 25315 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: The Plant Thread
« Reply #450 on: February 20, 2023, 06:13:52 PM »
That looks like a really big pot. I'm sure Mint 2 will be okay and happy to have all that room :)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #451 on: February 25, 2023, 03:46:49 PM »
@Ponyfan, I think Mint 2 should be ok, even with mixed soil. In nature, roots do get damaged, so long as the bulk hasn't been, it may well spark new growth. Mint plants are pretty tough :)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 25, 2023, 06:24:01 PM »
I repotted the chillies! 5 of the ones that are going to my colleagues are in pretty purple pots for gifting once I'm happy with their size, one chilli doesn't have a nice pot so has to wait until I get more. My two plants for this year are in BIG pots despite still being small so they get lots and lots of room to grow. Very pleased with how everyone is doing!

Repotted the succulants, two of the biggest ones got pots like Mama Gasteraloe, and their vacated pots let one gasterling get a nice pot and another was free from sharing with its sibling.

The biggest offshoot I gave to a colleague got a nice pot as an upgrade and is still flourishing! Colleague was like 'I can't believe I haven't killed it' and I went 'Mama Gasteraloe doesn't raise quitters' lol.

My pink Anthurium is doing well despite being in bits when I bought it (Asda had the nerve to still charge £2.50 for it)

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #453 on: February 27, 2023, 12:50:06 AM »
I had to say goodbye to one of my palm trees today. It's been with me since I was 17, so more than 20 years. It just decided to dry up and go and I was in denial for so long and kept watering it but no, cut throught the stem and it's all dried up and hollow inside.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 27, 2023, 07:47:28 AM »
I had to say goodbye to one of my palm trees today. It's been with me since I was 17, so more than 20 years. It just decided to dry up and go and I was in denial for so long and kept watering it but no, cut throught the stem and it's all dried up and hollow inside.

I had this happen with my original dragon tree, which I rescued from the library when it closed down. It and I had the same memories xD. It lived with us for some years after, but eventually it died of old age. It was heart breaking when  it died :(

Since 2020 I've had a new dragon tree. I do tend to fuss over this one as well, especially last year when it overheated and some of its leaves wilted. It's doing a lot better now, but I don't want to lose another one.

RIP Palm Tree.

Meanwhile, my grumpy old Poinsettia trots on, dropping her old leaves wherever she can reach.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 27, 2023, 12:26:30 PM »
Thank you everyone.  I've tried really hard to keep the mint plants alive, but sometimes I still worry that I'll end up killing them accidentally.  I wanted to repot Mint 1 today, but the weather isn't cooperating. :( 

Mint 1

I think you can see a glimpse of my mom's new plant too.

Mint 2

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #456 on: February 28, 2023, 04:41:41 AM »

I had this happen with my original dragon tree, which I rescued from the library when it closed down. It and I had the same memories xD. It lived with us for some years after, but eventually it died of old age. It was heart breaking when  it died :(

Since 2020 I've had a new dragon tree. I do tend to fuss over this one as well, especially last year when it overheated and some of its leaves wilted. It's doing a lot better now, but I don't want to lose another one.

RIP Palm Tree.

Meanwhile, my grumpy old Poinsettia trots on, dropping her old leaves wherever she can reach.

Yeah, when they've been with you so long, they become like family. I had a Dragon tree I got when I turned 16 that grew as tall as I was (I'm quite short though) and it died as well after 20ish years and another one I got as a housewarming gift from moms boyfriend lasted for 10 years. It's like they grow alright and suddenly decide it's time to off themselves :(. I have another one that is like 15 years and I am so fussy over it now.

Time has come to repot every plant and give them fresh soil. I both look forward to it and not. Dirty work but they will be so happy when it's done.

Those mints look lovley Ponyfan.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #457 on: February 28, 2023, 05:29:10 AM »
Sorry about your palm tree :( I kind of grew up with a palm tree we had inside. I liked to play around it (not on it or in the pot, just in it's vicinity as a cool background for my animal toys). I remember when it got too big for its biggest indoor pot and my mom was tired of having it so she gave it to my aunt. I'd say it was about 5 feet tall, maybe taller, at that time. I was sad to see it go.

I don't think my spider plant is going to make it :cry:

And here is Ben since I haven't shown him in a while.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 02, 2023, 07:01:46 AM »
@BC, how did that happen?! Spiders are usually pretty tough plants. Could it have got cold? Or too wet? I know they don't like masses of water. Mine can usually go some days without me watering them.

@Beldarna, exactly! The old library dragon tree was nicknamed 'Nathaniel' so he was 'Nat' to us for the years we had him xD Of course, his successor had to also have a name, so he's Nikolai (I'd just read War & Peace when I got him), or Nik for short. I don't mind repotting, unless it's the poinsettia. The way she grows, and the fact they hate roots being messed with makes me very nervous every time.

She's getting a haircut soon though. She doesn't know it, but she needs it.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #459 on: March 02, 2023, 07:31:56 AM »
I think what happened was that I didn't notice some cellophane was still around the roots and by the time I took it off it was already on the way out. I could have also overwatered it. The soil was dry to the touch though so I'm not sure.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #460 on: March 04, 2023, 11:31:21 AM »
Mint and chives are doing well. Rosemary and cilantro seem to be coming back too. the basil didn't make it through the fall so i plan to replant. i'm still planning to add rocks and step stones. paying for Jessie's unplanned vet bills and cold weather set me back a little. but i think i'll get that done in a few weeks. right now it's mostly just finding a weekend where we have energy and the weather forecast looks good.

i'm also working on removing grass (mostly dead grass) to build some flower beds. but i have some questions. the soil seems pretty good. i see worms and grubs when i dig. but there's maybe half a foot to 3/4 foot of soil until i get to a layer of clay. can i turn over the soil, plant, and then add mulch. or should i add more soil to the beds? i'm planning to add some bricks to line the beds but nothing too high. maybe eventually i'll add some higher stones to the edge of the beds but right now it's way out of my budget. i'm worried that if i build the soil up high it won't stay in place if we get a lot of rain. but i also need enough soil for plants.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 04, 2023, 12:28:27 PM »
Here's this week's pics of the mints.  I hope Mint 1 makes it until I can repot it.  The weather always seems to be working against me when I want to work with plants.

Mint 1

Mint 2

Mint 2 top down

The stores in my area are starting to put plant and gardeing stuff out.  I saw a lot of seed packets today, but I know if I wait a little longer, the live plants will be out.  I'm still trying to decide what to plant next.  I want to try to grow the strawberry seeds but I'm also leaning toward basil. 

Ponyfan

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #462 on: March 07, 2023, 07:42:56 AM »
Good news! My regular spider plant has sprouts :green:

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 08, 2023, 07:02:59 PM »
Lots of baby mints are trying grow out of Mint 2's roots. I hope they make it.

Here's a pic

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 10:46:14 AM by Ponyfan »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 10, 2023, 02:21:43 AM »
Yay for the spider plant! They are tough little critters. :)

THe little mints might be mint 2 trying to build from the bottom, Ponyfan. Either way it's a good sign.

My Morning Glories are flowering. Outside, it's snowing, but in my bedroom, it's summer.

I am quite proud they got to this point, actually. From some random selfseeded seedlings I took in in November, with no guarantee they would survive., they are now quite big thriving plants.

One of the fuchsia cuttings is also flowering up a storm. I think it feels competitive.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal