collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Plant Thread  (Read 25404 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: The Plant Thread
« Reply #195 on: August 12, 2022, 03:25:18 PM »
I'm sorry that one of your delphiniums might be dying, Taffeta. 

There was a yellow leaf on Mint 2 for a while, but it turned brown and died overnight.  It was a really old leaf so I'm not sure if that's why it died or if part of Mint 2 isn't getting enough water.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #196 on: August 13, 2022, 08:58:24 AM »
i still need to work on the lawn. it's been so hot I can't really be outside. the late afternoon/early evening when i'm off work is somehow the hottest part of the day. it's almost september so hopefully it will cool off enough soon. i feel like we have the ugly flower beds.

as a gardening newbie i don't want to get overwhelmed. i have a tendency to get really excited about a project and then get over ambitious. maybe just weeding and putting more mulch would be a good start? it's so dry i really hate to plant when i can't really water enough. i think people are watering anyway because some homes in the neighborhood have pretty green lawns.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 13, 2022, 02:45:02 PM »
I know it's a bit early to be talking about this, but does anyone know how to get mint plants ready for winter?  I think I read that I need to cut all of the leaf nodes off once it gets cold and cover them up until spring?

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #198 on: August 14, 2022, 03:10:10 PM »
Our mint plants live outside (as in, they're planted in the garden).

We have frosts, heavy rain, temperatures below freezing and sometimes snow.

They're all fine.  None of them have ever been inside or covered up over winter.

Check on your mint variety and see what it advises, but I can't imagine your winter conditions are worse than ours. Unless it's a local variety that is not frost hardy or is more sensitive to certain temperatures, of course!

@Beth, that sounds like a good place to begin!

My winter project is going to be additional bottles in the ground for irrigation. If we're going to get hotter weather, there are some of my plants that have barely hung on this week and need that extra help.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 14, 2022, 03:42:39 PM »
My wild catnip bloomed and is making seeds, and I have hen and chicken succulents making babies. They are very happy on the side porch.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 15, 2022, 09:52:46 AM »
Thank you, Taffeta.  I'd much rather leave the mint plants alone during the winter and hope they survive until spring instead of doing a lot of stuff that isn't necessary.  I think they are both sweet mint. I know they're not spearmint. 

Our winters can be extreme but more often they we'll have several days below or at freezing with sunshine.  Sometimes we'll have snow. 

Here's this week's progress pic of the mint plants. 

Mint 1

Mint 2   

I keep trying to get the long runners in the pics.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 15, 2022, 10:59:25 AM »
I would then see what kind of temperatures they are tolerant to (how far below they can handle, some plants are better than others) and whether they struggle if you have a lot of cold days together. If you have a sheltered place for them, like up near the house, that might also help. If you go ten below (celsius) during winter, you might need to protect them - but a few degrees below I wouldn't think would hurt.

Definitely google it to be sure though, since I don't think we have sweet mint.

We had rain today!!

Okay, we probably need a lot more of it, but it's so nice not to have to go out and water.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #202 on: August 16, 2022, 08:20:17 AM »
My mints live outside too (I'm in the UK like Taffeta), I move the mints to a sheltered spot next to the house and they have been ok. The runners are the mint propagating itself and they will root and grow into another mint plant :)

I have moved my Venus Flytrap. I found some proper care instructions and am following those. I think it was feeling ill during the earlier heatwave as it got a bit too dry. I have removed the black traps and stood it in a shallow dish of de-ionished water. I looked up the water hardiness in my area (2.53 Clarke) and it is soft enough for me to use safely on my Venus Flytrap and Butterwort. I think I will try and catch some rainwater (if it ever rains again).

Dad has been kindly watering my outside plants/pots due to me being very unwell the last week. They need sorting out as they have "finished" and starting to seed and die off, but it'll get done when it gets done.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #203 on: August 16, 2022, 11:15:24 AM »
I think my rosemary is dead. I thought I had seen little green needles sprouting but either I was wrong (might have been a trick of the light) or they died. The soil is finally dryer and I wanted to replant it but I think if it is still alive, repotting it would definitely finish it off. This is what usually happens to plants in my care. I got lucky with Ben and the catnip, but I'm not a natural green thumb.

The catnip is getting big too. I keep trying to get my cat interested. I crush up a couple leaves and she can't decide if she wants to eat them or play with them but it doesn't last very long. Not like when I give her dried. I wonder if I can dry mine? It's probably too humid.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #204 on: August 16, 2022, 11:19:54 AM »
I think my rosemary is dead.

To be honest as soon as I saw it I didn't think it would recover. Don't give up. You're doing great with the basil, but the rosemary was probably sat waterlogged in the supermarket for days before you tried to rescue it.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 16, 2022, 01:17:32 PM »
My morning glories are basically done, lots of seed pods appearing. Not sure whether to gather them or not. Still have some seeds from earlier this year.

The Thunbergia are still going mad though. They're trying to grow all over Dad's cactus at the moment.

My little indoor cactus didn't like the heat, but is doing better now, thankfully, after some careful targeted watering and a bit of shade.

Sorry about the rosemary, BC :( The sad thing about plants is that sometimes you lose one no matter what you do. :(
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 17, 2022, 05:44:34 AM »
Thank you, Taffeta, and pinkkittywinks for the advice on the mints.  :)  I tried googling some information about sweet mint but didn't find anything too helpful.  It was mostly just people suggesting different things but nothing I looked at seemed like solid information. I'm going to move them to a more sheltered area once the weather forecast starts predicting winter temperatures. 

I got one of the old flowerpots that was laying around the backyard and cleaned out most of the debris that was in it.  It's a lot bigger than Mint 2's current pot.  I'd prefer to get a new one but every time I say something about it  my dad says "We have tons of flowerpots."  That's true but most of them have remnants of dead plants and other stuff in them that needs to be removed. One of the ones I was trying to get in the yard yesterday has several cracks in it.  We have a chance of rain for the next several days and I don't want to repot Mint 2 if it's going to rain.

BC, I'm sorry that your rosemary died. :sad:

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 17, 2022, 07:14:25 AM »
@Ponyfan, I think if you clean out the pot with dish soap/washing up liquid and water, it will probably be fine for a new plant to go into. We reuse our pots over and over this way. Cleaning it out just makes sure no bugs or soil based diseases can get into new plants from old ones. Dad has something else he uses for pots but I suspect it's not available in the US - but this method works just fine too :)

We had a lot of heavy rain overnight, the garden is looking a lot happier now. It's been a really hard summer trying to keep everything going.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #208 on: August 17, 2022, 08:43:45 AM »
I'm sorry about the Rosemary :( I don't think it was anything you did BC :hug:

The mints I have are Chocolate Minty (smells like After Eights), Pineapple Mint and Apple Mint :)

I ended up sorting the pots out last night, I just wanted to be out side doing something after being housebound with Chicken Pox for 10 days.

I use a stiff brush to remove dead plant bits and dry soil from pots. If anything remines I just swill them with water from the hose pipe. If you think their might be disease, hot soapy water should kill anything.

My partners Mum has been known to put plant pots through the dishwasher :lol: but then again, I have put ponies through the dishwasher, so who am I to judge?

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 18, 2022, 06:40:10 AM »
Thank you, Taffeta and pinkkittywinks.  I feel much better about using the old pots now. :)  My main concern was the old plant debris or other stuff left in the pots might hurt the newer plants even though I think most of the old ones died from being neglected (not watered or removing baby plants) instead of disease.

I'm already thinking that I might get more plants next spring if the mints to well.  Chocolate mint sounds interesting.  I'm assuming I'd have to look for more varieties at a home improvement/garden store instead of just at Walmart.

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal