collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Let's talk hair colors for WIP Pirate Pony! Also: PIRATE HAT!  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Naamah

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
This is my latest girl, tentatively named "Stolen Kisses."

I started her back in November and am finally finishing her up.  She has a removable pirate hat and belt, and will be getting some other accessories, too!  There will be a glittery skull and crossbones on her backside in pink, unless I think of something else iconic and piratical to go there instead.  I am really proud of her so far. I think her body fade came out really well for something I had to drybrush (it's hard to see in the second pic because of the light, but she's neon purple above and dark purple on her legs and ears and snout).  And her eyes came out so pretty!  I'm pretty much awful with eyes, so I am really pleased!

But I'm kind of stumped on her hair!  I was originally going to do two or three different shades of purple, and I still think that's a great option and what I will do if I can't decide on anything better, but I also considered black, because I just love black hair on ponies.  I am afraid black would be a little too dark even if you added purple to it.  Someone on my LJ remarked that I should have some gold or silver in there (pirate booty!).  I dunno.

So I'd really like to know what everyone else thinks!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Pirate Pony WIP 01 by Naamah Darling, on Flickr

Pirate Pony WIP 02 by Naamah Darling, on Flickr

Pirate Pony Hat WIP 02 by Naamah Darling, on Flickr

Pirate Pony Hat WIP 01 by Naamah Darling, on Flickr

I'll be rehairing her starting mid-week next week or thereabouts, if my guesses are accurate.

When I'm done with her, I'll post pics, and if I have time and there is interest, instructions/a pattern for the pirate hat, which is pretty simple if you aren't bent on edging the whole thing with embroidery floss and painting everything to match.  It's not a perfect pattern, but obviously it can be made to work!  And maybe the next person will be better than me at sewing stuff and be able to work out the kinks.

Note to self: saturated purple is a really translucent color with poor coverage.  Even sponging it on means you have to use so many layers that it gets kind of uneven and gross. HAVE SOMEONE AIRBRUSH THE NEXT ONE FOR YOU.
"I have lived my life as best I could, not knowing its purpose, but drawn forward like a moth to a distant moon; and here at last, I discover a strange truth . . . that I am only a conduit, for a message that eludes my understanding." Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Offline ChocolateStarfire

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • May the 4th be with you. Always.
    • View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
Re: Let's talk hair colors for WIP Pirate Pony! Also: PIRATE HAT!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 06:26:47 PM »
The colors are great! Loving that hat!  :lol:

As far as hair...I'm thinking hot pink, bright fuschia and maybe midnight blue or black for some sassy flair.
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales
My pronouns-She/her and they/them  ^.^

Xaniss

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 06:38:25 PM »
She really is a cutie! Love the hat!!

As for hair, I'd be tempted to put Pussycat in there since her hat has neon pink feathers... small stripes of black or even Moonlight (or even them next to each other) will add abit of spunk. But on the flip side, Sour Grapes with Black would be really bold and threatening for a pirate!  ^.^

>_< Decisions, decisions - glad I'm not making them! Can't wait to see what you go with!  :biggrin:

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 06:46:30 PM »
I think black with a pink streak - I'm currently in love with Sugarberry, but it might be a bit too bright. Maybe Hearthrob instead? And I like the idea of a little gold - I'm also lovin' the crap out of Sunlight for little streaks right now.
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline Naamah

• Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 06:56:12 PM »
@Xaniss: I like the idea of streaks of Moonlight!

I went and looked at all my hair AGAIN.  I've got Old Bubblegum, which is a pretty good match for the pink in the trim on her hat.  Sour Grapes is a trifle cold, but holy cats, Ultraviolet is a dead-on match for the dioxazine purple I used on her legs and points.  Bougainvillea is a perfect match for her bright purple/fuchsia body.

I don't have Pussycat, so I can't judge how bright/saturated it is.  It looks light and soft on the site, not very saturated, but really vibrant colors you just can't tell from the pics.

(I have to order a bunch of new pinks, anyway, for the OTHER custom I have on the block.  "I never use pink, I don't need pink!" I said to myself before placing my first order.  I should have known!)

@ Pythia: I'mma go check out Sunlight next to her right now. I have a whole baggie.  I was thinking gold would have to be Golden Goddess, which would look really awful, but Sunlight might work.
"I have lived my life as best I could, not knowing its purpose, but drawn forward like a moth to a distant moon; and here at last, I discover a strange truth . . . that I am only a conduit, for a message that eludes my understanding." Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Offline Pythia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 06:57:43 PM »

(I have to order a bunch of new pinks, anyway, for the OTHER custom I have on the block.  "I never use pink, I don't need pink!" I said to myself before placing my first order.  I should have known!)

I just ran into this exact problem. Le sigh. On the upside, it meant I had an excuse for buying more hair...:D
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 07:01:52 PM »
If she were mine, I think I would be tempted to do mainly silver maybe a starlight? Or moonlight? I forget the names. With streaks of sugar berry and bougainvillea and sour grapes. I'd start at the top with a streak of each, then do the rest in silver. Or blend all four.

She got such pretty colors!

P.s. pattern for hat totally wanted!!! I'm doing two pirates myself right now and would love the hat pattern.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 07:41:08 PM »
hgbdrtfgh I LOVE THAT HAT

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 08:35:06 PM »
I do not know why but lime green is screaming to me.  Then again it might be the rum.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Naamah

• Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 08:42:12 PM »
Diamond: You know, I ALMOST made her eyes green, and almost decided to make her a purple and green pony. . . .

• View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 08:44:37 PM »
Diamond...that actually would work well, tbh...and that's where the rum went!
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 08:47:14 PM »
Diamond...that actually would work well, tbh...and that's where the rum went!
I know, I keep coming back and going yup lime green.  Oh and no worries we have tons of rum down in the cellar.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

• View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 11:18:19 PM »
:D
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 02:00:04 AM »
Lime green, purple, and pink work awesome together. Its my favorite sprinkle mix to use on girls cupcakes at work :)

Offline Pythia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 02:11:24 AM »
Oh and no worries we have tons of rum down in the cellar.

Had.
*hic*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal