collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Does anyone have a sewing machine?  (Read 567 times)

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
Does anyone have a sewing machine?
« on: December 14, 2012, 12:17:37 PM »
If you do, could you tell me about it? Like the brand, price, and size of the machine?

I've been talking with dad about getting a sewing machine, and maybe trying my hand at plushie making. He's thrilled at the idea I want to sew, as he is an Upholsterer by trade, so wanting to learn part of his business makes him happy lol. However, (as in his nature as a tradesman) he's looking into industrial sized into the thousands of dollars type machines.  I... don't know if I want to go quite that far just yet. ^^; I don't want to spend a ton of money if it's something I find I just can't get into or do.  He's not bought a machine in uh.... I think before I was born... (he hasn't needed to, his Phaff machine is still working as well today as the day he bought it- which is why he's sort of insistent ON a Pfaff), so he doesn't know much about the "new" machines with "all their computerized nonsense" ^^; 

But then, I don't want to get a cheap trinket either, because that would probably just frustrate me and turn me off of wanting to use it.  I don't need to worry about material or stuffing, as since dad has been a buyer form J. Ennis Fabrics for as long as he's been in business, I can get access to any material wholesale.  I'd try and learn on his machine, but, being an industrial, it would eat any thinner material, since it's made for things like furniture, boats, and heavy equipment. ^^;  I could make a pony in Naugahyde, but dang, that's be one crazy looking pony LOL.

So... yah. Here I go again, jack of all trades, master of none. XD I just have to try any art project at least once! But I think sewing might be fun, I've made plushies before by hand stitching, but that is just horrendously long. X_x And... it would be nice to have dad teach me the basics, I know he's always wanted me to learn. I just don't think I could ever really do things like couches or winter fronts, such objects bore me LOL. But plushies.... yah, now THAT I could get into! Or maybe even doll clothing...

Offline Whoa1234

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have a sewing machine?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 12:47:42 PM »
I just purchased a Brother Cs-6000i for $150 off of Amazon (regular 400+ or something)
I'm taking costume design and construction classes at my college and normally use a 1k + machine.
I honestly love my Brother machine more, it's more user friendly and versatile  than my class machine.

For the price you get a really good, easy to understand machine with a bunch of options and goodies.
It's perfect for just getting started sewing or having more advanced sewing skills.
It also had a lot of really good reviews on Amazon.

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 01:59:24 PM »
I just purchased a Brother Cs-6000i for $150 off of Amazon (regular 400+ or something)

I've had this machine for a couple of years and it's given me so much trouble lately. Finally it just died.

I'm looking into buying a new machine now and I have my eyes set on the Brother SE400. It will be mine!

I also have a Janome serger which I love.

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 02:10:01 PM »
I have a Husqvarna that I love, love, love! I bought it last winter and it's one of my best buys. It covers the basics with lots of extra unecessary functions and only costed me 179 usd. I don't know if that brand exist in Canada but it's one of the best you can get in Sweden. Mom has one off the same brand, has had it for 30 years or so and it still works with no problems.

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 02:11:25 PM »
I have a Husqvarna that I love, love, love! I bought it last winter and it's one of my best buys. It covers the basics with lots of extra unecessary functions and only costed me 179 usd. I don't know if that brand exist in Canada but it's one of the best you can get in Sweden. Mom has one off the same brand, has had it for 30 years or so and it still works with no problems.

Yes! My grandma runs a small sewing business (in Sweden) and she only sews on Husqvarna and Bernina.

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 03:45:55 PM »
I have a Husqvarna that I love, love, love!

.....Huh. I thought they only made chainsaws. o.o My dad has one, he loves it lol.

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 07:22:50 AM »
You guys are lucky to own such new sewing machines. We're still saddled with a old-timey foot pedal powered machine over here :P

I guess it's a family heirloom, since my mom refuses to part with it.
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 07:24:44 AM »
Not me. I handstitch everything.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 09:21:55 AM »
I rarely do any sewing - more just little repairs (buttons, etc), or crafts but it's all by hand.
My mom has a Bernina that she's had for years (since she was a teen) and it still works great.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Whoa1234

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 11:44:49 AM »

I've had this machine for a couple of years and it's given me so much trouble lately. Finally it just died.

I'm looking into buying a new machine now and I have my eyes set on the Brother SE400. It will be mine!

I also have a Janome serger which I love.

Oh no!
I hope mine doesn't die too soon!
It's been a dream so far though!

You  said you wanted to make plushies, so here she is!

I whipped out this little baby last night (it's a pony, hope you can tell :3)
It was a little tricky to work with, I'd suggest practicing with fleece or cotton before moving on to faux fur.
The machine handled it pretty well, only once did I have to pull it out  and reposition it.

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 11:49:06 AM »
i would recomment husqvarna, my mom has one and it is awesome.
i collected 3  sewing machines over the years and all of them tend to break down 2 days before deadline. ^^"
donĀ“t invest into a cheap machine, you will kick yourself later for this.
if you are into plushs, try to look for machines which can do embroideries! ;)

edit:
yes, and Pfaff is usually very good too! if you can spend that money.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 11:50:54 AM by emuel »
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 04:08:14 PM »
I'll have to look into those Brother machines, they look pretty good!  I've been looking at plushie patterns and the plushies I own to get an idea of how the patterns look and come together.  Is an embroidery one hard to use?

CrimsonEtClover

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 04:13:29 PM »
I had a very cheap White brand machine from Wallmart... it was awful. Now I use my grandma's vintage/antique Singer... I don't think that thing will ever break!

Offline reddsetgogirl

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 08:30:24 PM »
Mine is a second-hand Toyota.  I have to say that the absolute best thing about the particular model (which I couldn't tell you right now) is that it was designed and built primarily for schools, colleges, etc with beginning sewers in mind.  It is easy to get set up and start sewing.  I had sewn prior to buying it, either on my mum's machine or the ones at my high school, but as I don't sew anywhere near often, it's nice to have something built to withstand the mistakes of a beginner and be easy to relearn after a long absence away from it.

If you can, see if you can borrow or hire a machine, even if only for a month just so you know if this is something plausible to put money into. Don't be affraid to go second-hand either, as long as it isn't on it's last leg.
Follow me on Instagram: @theponiesiownies
Most wanted: Nursery Families white bathtub.

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 07:38:30 AM »
I also have a Husqvarna and it's far better than the Singer I used to have. That Singer used to always break.  But there's a big difference in price for the quality. I paid $600 for my sewing machine.  It's really easy to use, too. 

I would say if you have the extra, go for the Husqvarna. 

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal