collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP Kinder Eggs  (Read 3586 times)

Offline millenium0chi

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
MLP Kinder Eggs
« on: September 30, 2016, 05:25:04 AM »
Does anyone know where I can find those Kinder Surprise Eggs that are made of chocolate and have the MLP figures inside?  Walmart, Target, some pharmacy?

Thanks in advance!
Be a Blessing
Looking for my childhood loves:
Princess Tiffany, Mimic, Twinkler, Surf Rider (baby sea pony), Majesty, Megan and Sundance, Cotton Candy

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
Re: MLP Kinder Eggs
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 05:33:51 AM »
Does anyone know where I can find those Kinder Surprise Eggs that are made of chocolate and have the MLP figures inside?  Walmart, Target, some pharmacy?

Thanks in advance!

I believe Kinder Eggs are banned in the US because of the dangers of children swallowing the capsule the toy is in.

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 05:39:42 AM »
eBay would probably be your best bet ^^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 06:15:19 AM »
You can buy just the toys fine as an American on ebay. You cannot buy online, or have anyone bring an egg intact (with the chocolate) over the border.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/01/26/kinder-surprise-usa_n_9081286.html

and, anyone outside of the states. NEVER- EVER ship a US person an intact kinder egg. You can be fined as a sender, and it's not cheap. I'd rather buy a punzie and scoops with that kind of money.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 06:17:21 AM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 08:28:17 AM »
Yes, kinder eggs are illegal in the US and it's illegal to import them in. You'll need to find someone that can send you just the toy. There's some open ones on ebay too.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 09:11:34 AM »
I always find this a really ironic law in the US.

They no longer sell the MLP Kinder Eggs in the stores by me (here in the UK) so I can't help, but I do predict that we will probably see a whole load of them come up on Ebay as time goes on (like the dollymix ponies). So unless someone can help you directly, it might be worth waiting a little while till they flood the market.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 10:25:12 AM »
I love Kinder toys, and on my way home from Sweden I saw a ton at the airport but didn't get any because I was sure I would be fined as soon as I made it to US soil. Its so stupid :( But I did get a lot of Finding Dory toys :)

Offline Terra

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/Longeared/
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 11:26:50 AM »
This has been thoroughly answered, but yeah - sadly if you live in the US they cannot be purchased! US laws prevent the sale of any food item that entirely encapsulates a toy. (As if anyone is going to choke on a kinder egg capsule!) Similar American-sold products get around this by having a capsule that sticks partially out of the chocolate. (Like Yowees)
Its a dumb law, and I've heard rumors that it was lobbied for by American candy companies who were actually hoping to cut out competition....

You can buy kinder chocolate that is in non egg form however, and like others have said and you can buy opened toys online!

I did get very lucky once and I was able to buy pony kinder eggs from a booth at a flea market. The booth was  selling treat brands popular in Mexico, so presumably they were able to get it through the boarder while transporting Mexican coke and such. I'm not sure if that's a particularly common phenomenon however!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 11:43:28 AM »
It's not because the toys are considered choking hazards.  It's because, in the 1930s, food manufacturers would "bulk up" food with sawdust and other random junk.  So a law was passed in the US saying that inedible content cannot be contained within a food item.

Kinder Eggs entirely enclose their toy in chocolate; therefore it is illegal under the law because the capsule is "contained inside" food.  It's not that the law is specifically TRYING to "go after" Kinder Eggs, it's just that they happen to fall under the umbrella.

However, eggs in the style of Choco Treasure are allowed:

See the yellow seam of plastic?  It is part of the capsule.  Because it is visible, it gets around the ban on inedible items "contained inside food" (since it's not 100% contained).

I believe some Kinder Eggs also come in this style too (with the seam), and those ones may be imported into the US.

Edit:  The other eggs I was thinking of was the "Kinder Joy" egg.  I'm not sure if it's another product FROM Kinder Egg or if it's just a similarly named product from another company.

But at any rate, the toy and the chocolate are in separate sides of the egg, and therefore legal in the US.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 11:50:11 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 12:25:38 PM »
It's not because the toys are considered choking hazards.  It's because, in the 1930s, food manufacturers would "bulk up" food with sawdust and other random junk.  So a law was passed in the US saying that inedible content cannot be contained within a food item.

Kinder Eggs entirely enclose their toy in chocolate; therefore it is illegal under the law because the capsule is "contained inside" food.  It's not that the law is specifically TRYING to "go after" Kinder Eggs, it's just that they happen to fall under the umbrella.

However, eggs in the style of Choco Treasure are allowed:

See the yellow seam of plastic?  It is part of the capsule.  Because it is visible, it gets around the ban on inedible items "contained inside food" (since it's not 100% contained).

I believe some Kinder Eggs also come in this style too (with the seam), and those ones may be imported into the US.

Edit:  The other eggs I was thinking of was the "Kinder Joy" egg.  I'm not sure if it's another product FROM Kinder Egg or if it's just a similarly named product from another company.

But at any rate, the toy and the chocolate are in separate sides of the egg, and therefore legal in the US.

But the US candy companies do lobby to keep it on the books now since an exception could be made for these kind of products. Or even just an exception as long as it is clearly spelled out in the packaging. I think requiring "contains sawdust" would prevent such things from happening again.

You would probably be better off trying to get them from someone here since ebay fees are so high and it's such a little thing.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 12:27:50 PM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 02:56:39 PM »
Are there MLP Kinder Eggs out right now? I haven't been keeping up with the times.

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline Ponytails

• Shenanigans Pony
  • Trade Count: (+134)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I love Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 05:17:01 PM »
If you want just the mlp toy that was in the egg, I have several for sale that Chrissytree got in the UK as extras trying to get us both a set. I live in the US so shipping to you would be cheap. PM me if you are interested!!
My G3 grail is LS Pinkie Pie MIB.  If you have her for sale or trade, I WILL pay.

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 06:43:25 PM »
I live in the US, and there's a fancy imported chocolate store in the mall where I work, and they get shipments of Kinder Eggs pretty frequently, though they sell out pretty fast.  I always wonder how they get around the law.  Come to think of it, there's another store around here that sometimes has them too.   

I did manage to get a couple of MLP toys.  I was thinking of doing pick ups for Arena peeps for a while but they had the pony eggs mixed in with a bunch of other ones so there was no guarantee that there would be ponies in the eggs, so I decided against it so no one would be disappointed.  While they had the MLP display, I bought a whole bunch of eggs trying to get ponies but I only wound up with 2 MLP figures and 1 MLP ring, so pickups definitely would not have worked out, unfortunately. 

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 07:15:47 PM »
I live in the US, and there's a fancy imported chocolate store in the mall where I work, and they get shipments of Kinder Eggs pretty frequently, though they sell out pretty fast.  I always wonder how they get around the law.  Come to think of it, there's another store around here that sometimes has them too.   

I've seen them in the mall too... Not at a fancy store, but at a kiosk selling snacks. I also have seen them at small ethnic stores

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline silverdawn

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 04:28:53 AM »
I'm headed back to Canada this november... Guess I should stock up? When I was home this summer I could only find Disney Princess ones... Where are they selling the pony ones?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal