collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What do you need?...  (Read 824 times)

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
What do you need?...
« on: July 09, 2012, 06:06:19 PM »
It's been a while since I posted here, but I just had a random idea for a thread...

What do you need when you're drawing?  :)

I'm just working on a commission... it sometimes takes me a little to get going until the 'conditions' are right! For me, it's sun, quiet, and kind of the right moment, if you know what I mean?

I have two little girls, and honestly, I find it quite hard to work around them. Doing the pencil sketch is fine, but once I start inking an outline, they need to be thoroughly distracted and away from me!! I just can't concentrate on those crucial parts if I have 'Mum, Mum, Mum!!! in the background! LOL  Their nervous energy just gets me agitated!

I find the sun really relaxing and oddly motivating, and whilst I don't work directly in it, I need it for the light as well as atmosphere! A good cuppa tea whilst I'm working never goes amiss either!  :lol:

So what things do you need?! Food? Music? How do you work?  :)

SnowsLove

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What do you need?...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 10:57:10 PM »
Honestly, it really depends. Sometimes the big clincher is my current mood. Other times it can be random; for instance I could sit and type or doodle for hours with the right music in the background, but other times I have to have it extremely quiet or I can't concentrate. Also, if I'm super hungry I have to eat first and then come back to the art or literature later. But sometimes mood and those other things also depend on whether or not my 'muse' is with me or not. I've had days where I simply can't doodle or type ANYTHING because it just doesn't come together. I think sometimes it's a form of absolute boredom and monotony too.  Which can be strange, or telling, however you chose to view it, because in all honestly the only "kids" I have are my dogs and the biggest distractions they present is their occasional barking.

A-lure

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 06:48:18 AM »
I totally understand the right "mood" thing. As for me personally, I have this really OCD thing with paper...it has to be perfectly white. No little dots or anything on it, and smooth. And I always have to have like, a stack of 10 or more sheets underneath the image I'm drawing. I'd love to get one of those plastic board things you put under paper so I stop wasting so much! haha.
Also, If I'm coloring something, I like to have background noise rather then music. If I'm coloring a pony image I'll put FIM on in the background. Or a movie, or classical music. I often can't work with music that has lyrics because I get distracted by the words. :P

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:48:14 PM »
It's mostly a mood thing.  Sometimes I just can't do diddly (I've had a huge art block lately, haven't done a thing) and other times I draw like mad.  Usually I am ready to draw or be otherwise creative when I have other things that I SHOULD be doing!  XD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Arkillian

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 10:05:34 PM »
I use to like music, but now I prefer silence. I like to know that I wont be interrupted too. I also like to be warm and in good lighting conditions. Obviously well is a perk for inspiration right now that I don't have. :cloud:

Given noise cancelling headphones though I can work anywhere that is warm and well lit so music is just a preference at the time that has frequently been without. My MP3 player has been kicking Adam Lambert and 2NE1 lately :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:08:09 PM by Arkillian »

Offline Lina

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Bananas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 12:46:12 PM »
phew, that's hard... i think i need some kind of sound around me. music, tv, anything... or just friends talking.
and it's totally a mood thing for me, too...sometimes i'm just not in the mood to draw, and then my pics turn out horrible.

my wishlist || my sales || thanks to myself for my avi :P and SDS for sig! || Candy Gloss || Asteria
~ I need SHS baits! PM me with offers if you have! ~

SnowsLove

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 06:08:58 PM »
I totally understand the right "mood" thing. As for me personally, I have this really OCD thing with paper...it has to be perfectly white. No little dots or anything on it, and smooth. And I always have to have like, a stack of 10 or more sheets underneath the image I'm drawing. I'd love to get one of those plastic board things you put under paper so I stop wasting so much! haha.
Also, If I'm coloring something, I like to have background noise rather then music. If I'm coloring a pony image I'll put FIM on in the background. Or a movie, or classical music. I often can't work with music that has lyrics because I get distracted by the words. :P

That is so crazy! I do the exact same thing! Have to have a dozen or so papers underneath the current image I'm working on. On the music and lyrics thing it really depends.  If the words get too distracting I will change the music. But most of the time, depending on the mood and situation, lyrics can actually juice things up.

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 10:24:25 PM »
loud music, supplies (mechanical pencil, pens and every coloured pencil and good paper) and an ice cold diet coke :)
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 11:29:29 AM »
Supplies, and for people to not interrupt me just when the creative juices have started flowing.
should be perma-moderated

Offline paradise-estate

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • I Heart G1 Ponehs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 11:38:26 AM »
I used to have to have a certain type of music on to create, but now I just have tv on! But I have to be on my own! No distractions in the form of other people. I'd wish for sun but in England that's rare!

** COLLECTING G1 PONIES FOR MY HERD :D THE MORE THE MERRIER!**
My WANT LIST*~* My gallery of adoptables I've drawn!

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing, everyone! Interesting how we all work differently  :)  I've finished my commission now - yah for sunny days and sneaking in a few quiet moments! (and a few cuppas later...  ;))

Offline JigglesTheCat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 07:47:05 PM »
For me, it has to be a certain day. I'm not saying that on Tuesdays I draw better than Sundays, but somedays I have amazing drawing days, and others.. well, my hermit crabs have better luck at art than me. I also need some sort of noise around me - I absolutely, positively, CAN NOT, draw in silence, and I need soda on my side, too. Sadly, I haven't been drawing much lately :C
I took a break from the Arena from a couple months due to school and other things in my life. But I'm back now!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal