collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tail Rust Help?  (Read 1279 times)

Cassafrass

• Trade Count: (0)
Tail Rust Help?
« on: June 24, 2016, 05:19:11 PM »
Hello, I have a Baby Surprise that I opened today to clean out due to some tail rust. This was my first time attempting to clean a pony from the inside, opening the head, and I went with using Oxiclean - I also replaced the metal with twist ties. However, I had some major trouble removing all the rust from the area her washer was - her tail mane has a permanent looking brown splotch that I can't seem to remove no matter what I try. Her insides look much better, but there are still some brown stains where I couldn't remove the rust. I don't mind this, as you won't be able to see these issues once she's put back together, but I was just wondering if it's okay to leave her like this? I wouldn't like to have any issues pop up in the future. Even better would be a solution on how to fix this.  Thank you so much for any advice!  :lovey:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 05:24:02 PM by Cassafrass »

Offline SpaceButtPonies

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 6v9
    • View Profile
Re: Tail Rust Help?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 05:59:06 PM »
I hear toothpaste gets rid of rust stains.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Siggy made by tailrustedtealeaf

Cassafrass

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 06:25:54 PM »
I hear toothpaste gets rid of rust stains.
Whitening toothpaste? Oh, I'll have to try it. Thank you! :>

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 11:47:25 PM »
Definitely toothpaste and a tooth brush. and a pipe cleaner for harder to reach or smaller areas. it's harder to get out of the tail but I use the toothpaste and toothbrush on the tail too and just make sure to condition after because it'll dry her hair out.  :)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 01:34:21 AM »
I agree with the above. You might have to just keep trying but you will get there.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 03:33:32 PM »
I also like to use grease-cutting dish soap. Rinsing often, as it foams up quite a bit. It takes a lot of elbow grease, but it's definitely possible to nearly eliminate the effects of tail rust.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Cassafrass

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 05:51:19 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, everyone! Maybe I just didn't try hard enough. I did use pipe cleaners, a toothbrush, and I tried whitening toothpaste on the tail but it didn't get all the rust stains out (didn't think to scrub it with a toothbrush, though, but I swear - it's like the rust left actual stains!) I also soaked her in Oxiclean and dish soap. She's all dried out and ready to go, so I may just leave her as is -  she's good enough, and all the surface rust pieces are gone. Maybe it's because the whitening toothpaste I used is an all natural kind? However, she is white so that probably doesn't help...  :silly:

Anyways, long story short - she should be okay.  I shouldn't complain anyhow, I found her at a garage sale for 10 cents! :good:

Edit: I caved and did a little more cleaning. She's now drying again, and is a tad better than before - but I think she's good enough. The toothpaste and scrubbing got off a little more, but I suppose I'll just have to be content for now. Now, if only I could whiten her up again... that's my next task.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 06:25:32 PM by Cassafrass »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal