collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New G4 heads: Anybody know what is going on with these?  (Read 4320 times)

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
Re: New G4 heads: Anybody know what is going on with these?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 08:10:47 PM »
I haven't deboxed any of my ponies lately (and they have gone into storage).

Can someone post distinct images of the differences?

I am led to believe it must have something to do with the manufacturing process. Since they only have 2 head molds basically for normal sized ponies (discluding the princesses and boys) their molds got so used they probably needed to be replaced and that was a prime time to address any issue (minor or large) in production (whether quality, color, cost, etc). This is only my guess though. :P I'm curious to see the difference.
~Foxtale~

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 08:49:11 PM »
It seems a bit insulting to see official G4 things referred to as 'fakie-like' and real fakies being praised and sought after...

Don't worry, no one's implying that people who like the new heads are wrong, different strokes for different folks, you know? No need to take anything personally! :hug:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline MANIMAL!

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 08:54:16 PM »
different strokes for different folks, you know? No need to take anything personally! :hug:

WRONG! My strokes for ALL FOLKS!

Post Merge: September 10, 2013, 08:56:55 PM

Oh, and here's a photo. I'll try to take a better one of head lines and such in the morning. Notice how hideous "fat-head" Lyra is compared to normal Lyra.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

And here are all the fat-head ponies in a row!

And here is a picture of ponies that has nothing to do with this topic!

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:56:56 PM by MANIMAL! »

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 09:06:10 PM »
I honestly don't understand this debate. XD They look nearly identical to me, certainly too similar to have a preference, or even to notice a difference if it's not specifically pointed out.

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 09:08:10 PM »
I honestly don't understand this debate. XD They look nearly identical to me, certainly too similar to have a preference, or even to notice a difference if it's not specifically pointed out.

*nod nod*

I had to really look to figure out which one was which!

diamondshy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »

Me too, I've been staring at those Lyras for so long my eyes are starting to cross.  XD

Digging the customs in the bottom pic though~

Offline Shiromisa

• Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 09:11:49 PM »

Me too, I've been staring at those Lyras for so long my eyes are starting to cross.  XD

Digging the customs in the bottom pic though~
I've done this with two Pinkie Pies (the suitcase one vs. the masquerade one) in real life and I still don't get it!

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline MANIMAL!

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 09:16:11 PM »

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 09:47:09 PM »
I've posted this image before but here's another Lyra comparison

Older wedding version on the left, newer fav. collection ver on the right
The new head mold is rounder in the cheeks. I actually think it's cuter but don't like that the mold seam line is visible on many of the newer ones.

will2Bfree

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 10:03:31 PM »

*nod nod*

I had to really look to figure out which one was which!

I noticed the difference the first time it was used without anyone pointing it out. You don't have to be super observant to notice when they change something you really like for the worse (worse is my opinion). I think the old heads were much cuter, I don't like these fat faced ones. The angle of the muzzle on the older ones had a much sweeter look to them, while the new ones heads are tilted higher in a perkier look. I don't think they're hideous, but I certainly hope they don't start making all the releases with this head mold. I might have gotten over it if it fixed the head/body mismatch problem, which I originally thought was the point of it, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Instead, it's just introduced more problems such as the seam issue.

I didn't even realize until you posted that picture how huge it makes the head look in comparison to the body size, too. Yikes. It might seem subtle, but it sure makes a big difference. Like I said, I don't hate them, I just really preferred the older mold. It'll definitely make me think twice before I buy any more. It almost reminds me of the creepy muzzled stuffed ponies. :(

Offline sweetapple

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 10:24:01 PM »
I totally agree with will2Bfree
I made a topic on this a while back--for those who still have trouble noticing the difference, these ones are as clear as day. Definitely like the old mold better!

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328721.msg737075.html#msg737075

Offline Shiromisa

• Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 10:36:52 PM »
I made a topic on this a while back--for those who still have trouble noticing the difference, these ones are as clear as day. Definitely like the old mold better!

I'll agree with the muzzle, and the seam lines are annoying. But people keep calling them fat, and I just don't see it unless I actively look for it. I still do not understand. :s

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 11:43:01 PM »
different strokes for different folks, you know? No need to take anything personally! :hug:

WRONG! My strokes for ALL FOLKS!

DO YOU WANNA GO!?!!? LET'S GO!!!

After I'm done fighting you, I will thank you for the comparison photos! I can't see much difference in the size of the head myself, but the shininess in the picture unnerves me. The vinyl they use in the body is so bleck, I'm really worried this will muck things up in the customizing realm as well!! D:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 12:43:39 AM »

I'll agree with the muzzle, and the seam lines are annoying. But people keep calling them fat, and I just don't see it unless I actively look for it. I still do not understand. :s
I agree entirely, its a BARELY noticable difference, and I;m a person who checks every single G4 pony for the initals placed between it's plug holes just to see what head mold it has, and if it doesn't bother me..then it shouldn't be a big deal.
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 06:18:25 AM »
To me I don't really care if they are a little different. They are still cute looking. And the little lines on them, I just accept them.  These are meant for little kids and they would not care about this.  But its awesome to hear that the heads are more easy to get off :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal