collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone Else Finding Themselves Buying Alot More G4's Than Other Generations?  (Read 5103 times)

LuckySwirl

• Trade Count: (0)
I'm the same! I can't believe how much I like the G4s really... because G1 was always my focus, but I really like G3s as well because they were a throwback to G1 style. I hated 3.5 (sorry to their fans) so I was surprised to find that I actually liked G4. Part of it is timing for me, too, because when G3s came out I was just out of college so I wasn't spending a lot on anything that wasn't a neccessity. Now I'm older and have income so a $5 pony looks like a cheap pony fix! I can't resist them  :lol:  I've just been buying the smaller size individual ponies and the blind bags. The fashion styles are a little big for me, and I haven't brought myself to buy a playset yet because I don't collect accessories at all.
I've been spending more on G1s lately, too.

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
I admit to buying a lot of G4s. But I still buy G3s if I see them new in box on store shelves.
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
I buy G4's mostly these days. That's because I can get them in the store while I'm already there getting other things. I try to keep up on the brushables. I figures thats a good number less I'll have to try and hunt down later. G1's will always be my favorite, but it's just my economic focus right now. lol

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Actually I find myself buying a lot less of them!  I just don’t feel like the toys are very good quality compared to other pony generations.  I mean, the plastic “seams” on their legs . . . and the head/body mismatches . . . and so many of the same pose.

I feel like this toyline would be a flop without the fantastic show to propel it along, but maybe it’s just me.

I do love the blind bag toys, though.  <3
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
We would have more G4s if Hasbro released more of them. We have all of the ones that we want for now.

My daughter loves G3s and G1s too so we've been getting a lot of them. She really likes G1s. I was surprised. She's 3.
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
I'm buying less G4 now than I did when G3 were in the stores (well, at least up until the core 7.)  As other's have said, I'm not really in to buying multiples of the same pony.

As a boy, I wouldn't have wanted to have anything to do with MLP, so I don't have any of the older generations, and to be honest, I don't particularly like the way any of them look. I'm a 31 year-old brony. I got into collecting MLP because of the Friendship is Magic show, which I enjoy watching with my six and three year-old daughters, whose own collection is a mix of G3 and G4. While I love the new show, I can't stand the vapid "let's have a party getting ready for the party!" G3 stuff (my daughters have some of the G3 books, and they used to love watching video clips on youtube and playing the old Ponyville flash games before we discovered FiM).

I can understand your frustration with the G3 cartoons.  But let me encourage you to give the G1 cartoons a try.  Of course, they were made in the 80's so you have to keep that in mind but there is a whole lot more adventure.  At least if you watch "Rescue at Midnight Castle" (the first ever MLP cartoon) you'll see just how many concepts were lifted directly from that special for FiM.

Offline Cinnabar

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Past few weeks I have been buying more G4's and also trying to complete some G1 sets.
G3's have been put on hold for a little while  ;)

Water_Fire

• Trade Count: (0)
I collect a lot more G4 at the moment, since I got into collecting as a teenager when the G3 line was out and so I have more disposable income right now! It's just easy to wander into the store when I have a moment to stock up on ponies...

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
I actually dont think I buy as many as I thought I would. I am of course a G1 girl and I really am enjoying the G4 line but I honestly only tend to pick up my favourites or the individual ponies I like...so I guess for me its a no!

But I do understand how people could find themselves buying more than planned - they are rather cute!

It makes it easier when they're in the store! :) Imagine what it would be like if we could still buy G1's in stores...takes a trip down the Greek isle.

Now there is a fantasy!!!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Emfen

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
No not really, I've got fever for G2s at the time.  :lookround:
I think their slender bodies are pretty for some reason.
~✿~| No longer actively collecting. |~✿~

Offline Prismatic

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+55)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
I buy too many g4s lol.  Last year I could say that I bought more G1s than G4s, but that has changed this year since I've gotten most of the common G1s.

I have at least one of each released character (except Sky Wishes, I still need her!) and am only missing a few variations of each (like glimmer wing Rarity and Rainbow Dash, never saw the point in getting those) I love the show, and I love the look of the toys.  It also helps that they're available in stores and are easy to purchace because of it.  I can also fit my collection of them in a much smaller space than my G1s, which adds to their appeal XD  I live in a studio, so space is already kinda cramped.

Offline Sandi

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
G1s are my favorites, but I like the G4s very much too.

I've decided that I'll try to get all of them. Not all the versions of every pony, but all the different ponies. I have most of them that has been released. All fashion styles, all blind bags of wave 1, 2, and 3.

I'm missing Starbeam Twinkle, Star Dreams, Diamond Rose, and Cherry Pie of the normal sized brushables. Of wave 4 of the blind bags I'm missing all except the boys.

So to answer the question, I'm not more into G4s than the others, but  I like them very much.
G1, G2 and G3 collector. I also collect a bunch of other stuff. (Too much..)
My collection website
My toy Instagram
My cat/nature Instagram
My Tumblr

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
I haven't been buying G4 because they're so expensive!  :huh: Maybe it's just me but they seem to have too many overpriced "sets" instead of single ponies. I mean, I would like to have a Luna for example, but she always comes with Celestia.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline Opalescence

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
Yes, but only because G4 was the gen I started with. I keep limiting myself to actual cartoon characters though. (except when it comes to blindbags. gotta catch em all!)

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
I've bought a total of two G4s. If they make a Sunny Daze the way she looks on that episode with the 3 blank flanks performing on stage, I'd be all over that. Outside of that, I'm rather content to go G1 hunting at yard sales and whatnot.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal