collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone Else Finding Themselves Buying Alot More G4's Than Other Generations?  (Read 5105 times)

Offline Gypsy_Nights

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolute Night Owl!
    • View Profile
I never used to buy ponyville ponies, fashion style ponies, or "So Softs" (that are now more like baby dolls than the G1 versions, which I miss terribly by the way!  Wish they would make more like them!)  I used to buy only the regular sized brushables.  I didn't buy ponyville ponies because they didn't have real hair and have alot of the same poses, fashion style because they were to big, and "so softs" because they were to big and more for a child. 

I don't know what it is but I'm buying tons more G4's than I ever did G3's.  I have tons of the blind bags, all the fashion styles, and I even went ahead and bought the Sweetie Belle, so soft, baby the other day!  Partly for my daughter, but I'd be holding back if I didn't say that I bought her mostly cause she is so darn cute!  And I'm thinking of buying the Rainbow Dash baby when it comes out too.  Been buying alot of playsets too.  (I always think I'm buying them for my daughter but I have them set up nice and neat in my display area where she can't get to them.   :blush:   I do let her play with them every now and then though.   :satisfied: )  I think I'm going to buy the talking Cadence and talking, white Celestia when they come out too.  Even though I think they are huge.  And of course I have even more of the regular sized brushables.  I've gone pony CRAZY!  Maybe its because the of the major pony drought we had when hasbro kept making the core 7 over and over again!  :rolls eyes:  I still don't like to buy duplicates though.  Course I don't think many people do.  I hate it when hasbro pairs duplicates with the new ponies, making you have to buy the duplicates if you want the new pony.  I have plenty of custom bait when it comes to that though!   :lol:

So has anyone else been finding themselves buying more G4's than any other generation?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:13:31 AM by Gypsy_Nights »
~~~Me and My FiM Family~~~
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Sales Thread     My deviantART Page

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
For me it is the opposite.   I've bought a lot less G4 ponies than the other generations.   I like them OK, but I think my pony buying days in general are going down.   I'm over 30 now, and I guess I don't feel the need for new ponies as much anymore.  heh!

But, I will always treasure my childhood ponies.   I just think that new additions for me are going to get less and less now.

Artsy Craftsy

• Trade Count: (0)
I mostly have G4s because I actually have the income (or had it anyway...) to buy them! I have a big G1 collection because my mom bought them from thrift stores for me as a kid, I don't have any G2s and I only own 2 G3s... But I really love the TV show for G4! I used to buy a ton of G4 stuff but then I became much more selective about my buying...

Xaniss

For me it is the opposite.   I've bought a lot less G4 ponies than the other generations.   I like them OK, but I think my pony buying days in general are going down.   I'm over 30 now, and I guess I don't feel the need for new ponies as much anymore.  heh!

But, I will always treasure my childhood ponies.   I just think that new additions for me are going to get less and less now.

Hahah! I'm over 30 too, but can't seem to buy enough ponies!!  :lol:

But, I am finding I'm buying many G3 ponies these days.. I am mainly into G1, but the ponies I'm missing seem difficult to find in good condition (since I'm picky) ... so I've been taking my money and buying the less expensive MIB G3 ponies or lots of loose G3's!

As for G4, can't say I'm a fan at all -  what I personally think of them, I'll have fakie ponies hurled at me!  :P   But I see them in the shops and go 'nup' so you guys have zero competition from me.  ^.^

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
G4's are in stores and since I already have over 900+ ponies, logic dictates that G4's are being made and are cheaper than spending a zillion dollars on some Greek pony I don't have yet. Most everything I don't have in my collection comes from outside the USA. And that usually means i'll be spending an arm and a leg to get one pony.

And really I don't consider buying G4 any different than buying G1 - it's all My Little Pony so for me it all sorta blends together in a multicultural pony party. So I'm less likely to separate the fact that the pony is different as I just consider myself increasing my already existing herd.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
I only buy G4s, and only the mid-size brushable "playful ponies". That being said, I haven't bought any since some time last year. I do intend to buy a few more later this year, though. I want Lyra, Sunny Rays, Lemon Hearts, and Zecora. [I currently have Honeybuzz, Flitterheart, Blossomforth, Plumsweet, Sweetie Swirl, Fluttershy, Rarity, Lily Blossom, Cheerilee, Dewdrop Dazzle, and Princess Luna].

As a boy, I wouldn't have wanted to have anything to do with MLP, so I don't have any of the older generations, and to be honest, I don't particularly like the way any of them look. I'm a 31 year-old brony. I got into collecting MLP because of the Friendship is Magic show, which I enjoy watching with my six and three year-old daughters, whose own collection is a mix of G3 and G4. While I love the new show, I can't stand the vapid "let's have a party getting ready for the party!" G3 stuff (my daughters have some of the G3 books, and they used to love watching video clips on youtube and playing the old Ponyville flash games before we discovered FiM).

My interest in photographing my G4 collection and sharing the pics on Flickr has led me to get into Monster High as well. I've been busy collecting and photographing ghouls instead of ponies recently.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:34:29 AM by pukunui »

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
For me, I'm across the board. I do by the blind bags/ponyville when i can but as far as the brushables... it's an on off thing as it's easy right now for me to pass up G4s stay (oh I already have that pony from another wave and I really don't need her). Which is true because the only thing that changes is the accessories for them :| Now I am working on trying to get some of the sets but the cost is what puts me off...

As for other Gens, I find myself searing more for G1 ponies than anything else and for bait ponies or ponies that need some serious restore work
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

plusleg1rl

I have more G4. It's my 1st collection.

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
I don't really actively collect but there have been several G4s that I may have to have when they come out.  If we ever get that glow in the dark Zecora I will be waiting to jump on that.  And the princess style blind bags.  Since the other generations came out when I was fairly small I don't actively remember wanting them from the store.  However, there are some baby G1s that I was that zealous about in my adult years and stalked mercilessly.  Since I am such a casual collector I suppose I have about the same amount of G1 and G4, then G3, then G2. 
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
I actually dont think I buy as many as I thought I would. I am of course a G1 girl and I really am enjoying the G4 line but I honestly only tend to pick up my favourites or the individual ponies I like...so I guess for me its a no!

But I do understand how people could find themselves buying more than planned - they are rather cute!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
I actually dont think I buy as many as I thought I would. I am of course a G1 girl and I really am enjoying the G4 line but I honestly only tend to pick up my favourites or the individual ponies I like...so I guess for me its a no!

But I do understand how people could find themselves buying more than planned - they are rather cute!

It makes it easier when they're in the store! :) Imagine what it would be like if we could still buy G1's in stores...takes a trip down the Greek isle.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
At the moment yes.  Most of my collection is packed up because we're moving around the world for work over the next 4-6 years.  And as I'm in China right now, I'm taking advantage of buying things cheaply on taobao.  I also have this not wanting to miss out on ponies that I didn't really have with G3s.  I think while we're in the states maybe I'll end up getting my G1s, particularly at the fairs.  But with my collection packed away, and not being in any one spot for super long, buying G4s is the easiest thing to do.  :)

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
I buy more of them right now but that's just because they can be found in stores and are quite a bit cheaper than hunting down some previous gen ponies.
Compared to when G3 ponies were in stores i actually think i'm buying a lot less ponies now. G4 has a lot of re-releases and i am not someone who spends money on those. There is also the fact that a lot of G4 ponies look quite similar, partly because they all have pretty much the same pose...So i'm a lot more picky.
For example, i know i will be skipping Cherryberry because i already have enough pink ponies and her cutie mark is not that interesting.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 07:20:18 AM by Malicieuse »

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Nope, I'm still focused as ever on G1s - sometimes a trade even comes out of all these new members interested in "pony" but not the "pony" they have.  ;)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
g3 was my favorite generation to buy.  Lot of colorful ponies!  I haven't bought any of the g4 regular sized ponies except for the hard hair pack.  I wish they'd make more of those.  Also I find the blind bags to be utterly charming so I pick up 1-2 whenever I find them.  I like the mystery. :)
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal