collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tired of ugly FiM ponies? Especially boys?  (Read 18371 times)

Lon-san

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Tired of ugly FiM ponies? Especially boys?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 11:22:21 PM »
Ugly? No. Not at all. I agree with the crowd that thinks they are getting better with the designs. I have said previously that I like Blossomforth's show look a lot more than I like the toy. And the boys? I'm happy to SEE more boys. The show will always be based around the female characters but it's weird when they don't even seem to EXIST...

The older gens? With G1, the bodies AND hair was more or less the same. Thanks to he colors fading, there are some I can't tell apart unless they speak or I can see their mark. I was recently talking to a guy in the local brony group about the Big Brothers' toys vs. show. The toys have the same basic shape and hair cut but with the colors and accessories they end up unique. I couldn't tell a couple them apart in Sonambula. They made the episode to promote the toy but didn't go to the trouble of making them look like the toy :(

Seconded! I feel like we're losing the variety of background names we might have had otherwise, when everyone kind of came up with their own names. Horse Power? Really? :/ So I guess Arnold Schwarzenegger should be renamed 'Human Power'? It just seems really ridiculous to be named after your own species, is all.

Haven't heard that one. :O The places I've been hanging out mostly want to call him things like "Chunky", "Roid Rage" and "Muscles McBeefcake" XD

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 11:25:31 PM »
I like Roid Rage a lot lol
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline Scraleos

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 11:40:42 PM »
I love the diversity of ponies in FiM. Snips and Snails are adorable, Fleur is a really pretty pony, and Muscles was really funny! Diversity is a very good thing to teach children, because people don't all look the same.

Trade | Wanted | Pony Plushies

Offline dippindot

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2012, 12:04:13 AM »
I cast my vote for Muscles McBeefcake.

CloudBurst Reference

Signature is rotating, PM for artist info! : )

Bounty Trotter

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2012, 12:47:38 AM »
I usually find the big eyes, overly cutesy stuff not to my liking, but I really love the look of the G4 ponies, and the more interesting ones like Roid Rage (or whatever his name ends up being, I'm sure Roid Rage won't stick due to bad connotations, even if it amuses me to no end!) are like bonus cupcakes in the box. Zacura is awesome looking, the mules and donkeys are neat and unique, and Thunderwing (I think his name was) and Orion (unofficial for now) were amazing! And I thought they were pushing it with the one guy that's strangely obsessed with jelly, but then this muscle-bound guy shows up, ROFL! I can't wait to see what shows up in the future.

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2012, 01:28:47 AM »
O_o  Is that real?  lol  I've never seen the like.
apparently grown during the winter, probably so they don't freeze their muzzles off while foraging xD

and here's the story about the first one http://www.amusingplanet.com/2011/08/horse-who-refuses-to-have-his-moustache.html
For a little while I had a placement at a horse rescue and we had at least one horse with a 'tash

Any way going back on topic. I like the diversity of pony types, cartoons tend to exaggerate things anyway so it's just par for the course.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:30:31 AM by starrypawz »

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline babymoondust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2012, 02:14:08 AM »
Whenever I see "Hasbro have gone too far" pertaining to a FiM episode, I know I'm not going to agree with the person.

And I don't agree with you at all.

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 02:41:13 AM »
If anything I'd like to see the same variation for female ponies. Girls are the ones who are most self-conscious about their bodies, I'd love see a chubby female pony portrayed in a positive light. However, if not handled right it could easily turn controversial.

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012, 02:44:34 AM »
If anything I'd like to see the same variation for female ponies. Girls are the ones who are most self-conscious about their bodies, I'd love see a chubby female pony portrayed in a positive light. However, if not handled right it could easily turn controversial.

I would offer Mrs. Cake as an example, but for all we know her body just hasn't bounced back from having twin foals yet.

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012, 03:14:57 AM »
Yeah, Mrs. Cake is good, but I still feel she's not that far off from the regular female pony body type.

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2012, 04:06:21 AM »
I like the diversity. I liked Man!Pony/Roid Rage/Beefy McTinyflappers or whatever people choose to call him too but only because he reminded me of the Ren & Stimpy cartoons :)

I think FiM needs a little diversity but not so much that it becomes too ridiculous.

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline Sandi

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2012, 04:13:46 AM »
I don't mind ugly ponies, but I do mind when they have beard and when they look too human, like many of the old ponies do.
G1, G2 and G3 collector. I also collect a bunch of other stuff. (Too much..)
My collection website
My toy Instagram
My cat/nature Instagram
My Tumblr

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2012, 04:22:43 AM »
I like the variety (and that muscled pegasus) but at the same time i know where you are coming from.
Though for me this has mostly to do with art style than anything else.
Some pony designs look so alien compared to 99% of the other ponies. I'm not talking about a bit of chubbyness or facial hair or whatever. I'm talking about ponies who's body build is so vastly different that you almost wonder if they are a different specie. While i like some of those designs at the same time i think they are a bit distracting.

Also, what bothers me most about the male ponies is their limited colors. Last episode had some good designs but next episode there will again be a new male character they just slap brown on. And muliticolored manes....there are far too little ponies with muliticolored manes.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 04:30:03 AM by Malicieuse »

creampuf

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2012, 06:42:28 AM »
I like the diversity. I liked Man!Pony/Roid Rage/Beefy McTinyflappers or whatever people choose to call him too but only because he reminded me of the Ren & Stimpy cartoons :)

Ren and Stimpy!!! I'm so happy I wasn't the only person who thought that when I saw him.

Also...I like the variations among the ponies...it just makes sense to me.

Offline babymoondust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2012, 06:49:04 AM »
Some pony designs look so alien compared to 99% of the other ponies. I'm not talking about a bit of chubbyness or facial hair or whatever. I'm talking about ponies who's body build is so vastly different that you almost wonder if they are a different specie. While i like some of those designs at the same time i think they are a bit distracting.

I think vastly different, exaggerated or wacky-looking characters is part of the appeal - in a lot of cases it serves as an actual part of the comedy.. Like caricatures.

It's very refreshing for me to see this kind of comedy in MLP. I don't think it's ever been done before in previous generations. It feels more diverse instead of perpetually stuck in a kind of one-dimensional saccharine world.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal