collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Have MLP been featured on PBS' Antiques Roadshow?  (Read 1501 times)

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
Have MLP been featured on PBS' Antiques Roadshow?
« on: June 14, 2012, 07:53:59 PM »
or are they too new still? or worse... considered insignificant? :(

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Have MLP been featured on PBS' Antiques Roadshow?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 07:59:54 PM »
I've never seen them on there . . . I think they are not really "obscure" enough to be on Antiques Roadshow.  Most of the stuff there is stuff that the people who own it can't ID right off the bat.  If you have a MLP, you pretty much know it and can find out how much it's worth from eBay.   But if all you know about your teapot is "this is a teapot and it looks pretty old", that's another story.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 08:07:24 PM »
No, I've never seen it.  Most of the stuff on there is from hundreds of years ago, and usually of a certain cultural worth.  Like a Lincoln campaign button..  I do so love when the people think they have something that's worth thousands and they paid thousands and it's worth like.. $500.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 08:17:34 PM by StoryDreamer »
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline gabumon

• Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 08:18:21 PM »
LOL Boba Fett!

awh... I guess I'll just keep hoping, unless one of YOU want to take your Punzie or Mimic in when they go through you town!!!

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 09:45:57 PM »
Eh...we already know what they're worth. So there'd really be no point...and it would only lead non-collectors to believe that every pony ever including fakies is worth hundreds. :/
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 01:13:52 AM »
I wouldn't think so as for stuff to be considered antique needs to be over 75 years old.

I used to love that show when I was a kid.
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline gallifreyan_pony

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 06:49:26 AM »
They've definitely had things newer than 75 years old on the show before, but it's always very rare and/or unusual stuff, like a record signed by all four Beatles or the Aslan prop from the BBC Narnia series (that was so cool I literally squeed!). MLP is too mainstream and too common. Perhaps if someone had a large collection of MIB G1s they'd get featured...

I agree that showing ponies on the show would only raise the price in the secondhand market so I'm not too disappointed not to have them shown!

Offline gabumon

• Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 06:52:36 AM »
true!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 10:44:57 AM »
They'd have to call upon us collectors for a true value....  can you imagine if they said Peachy was $100?
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 03:21:05 PM »
They've definitely had things newer than 75 years old on the show before, but it's always very rare and/or unusual stuff, like a record signed by all four Beatles or the Aslan prop from the BBC Narnia series (that was so cool I literally squeed!). MLP is too mainstream and too common. Perhaps if someone had a large collection of MIB G1s they'd get featured...

I agree that showing ponies on the show would only raise the price in the secondhand market so I'm not too disappointed not to have them shown!

Yes, this...I love Antiques Roadshow...dont know why maybe its just that Sunday night "staple tv show"...

I have seen quite a few toys feature on the show but they are either very old or from those "exclusive collector" focused lines like Star Wars, Dr Who and Star Trek...MLP I think just dont quite fit.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 06:58:18 PM »
... something is antique at 25 years ... early years g1's are certainly antique as they are the same freakin age i am lol

... and how are star wars, star trek, and dr who classified as "exclusive collector" focused lines? the old toys maybe, but the new ones, outside of limited runs and the like are pretty much morthless because they make so much of them, and it's mostly kids that buy them ... dr who is probably a little more "hard to find" but my little cousins love the crap out of dr. who and have pretty much every toy out there lol i know i've seen some barbie stuff on there and other dolls, but no ponies to my knowledge
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 07:21:15 PM »
I imagine most of the toys that do get featured are pre-1980's. Like Star Trek action figures that came out during the original series or a Barbie from the 1960's. I do think a Kenner Blythe might be old enough to make it on there but I have never seen one on there.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 07:27:08 AM »
... something is antique at 25 years ... early years g1's are certainly antique as they are the same freakin age i am lol

... and how are star wars, star trek, and dr who classified as "exclusive collector" focused lines? the old toys maybe, but the new ones, outside of limited runs and the like are pretty much morthless because they make so much of them, and it's mostly kids that buy them ... dr who is probably a little more "hard to find" but my little cousins love the crap out of dr. who and have pretty much every toy out there lol i know i've seen some barbie stuff on there and other dolls, but no ponies to my knowledge

My apologies for not quite terming it right but I couldnt think of another way to phrase a description for the lines I meant - in my head I always think of these as the type of toys you get in stores like Forbidden Planet - toy lines which have had products geared specifically at adult collectors [these are "exclusive collector" toys are they not? thats the market they are aimed at, certainly for the price many of them retail at I wouldnt imagine they are every day toys for children]. Normally such "collectors" lines come about because the "product/line" has a significant enough adult following to make it work - these lines are items such as Star Trek, Star Wars and now even Dr Who and Transformers [and in a teeny tiny way I guess MLP now with their Collectors set although these are still more toys than the more high end items I am thinking of].

For me it is lines like these that I have seen on shows...yes, not the newer manufactured items but the exisitence of the newer collectors lines seems to always be indicate an historical trend and therefore the existence of lots of older toys and merchandise.

Other than such "collections"...everything else does seem to be much older than 25 years old - early, early Barbies, Hornby trains, pre war dolls and cars, etc.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

sarafina

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 08:07:46 AM »
There's also a new Travel Channel show called Toy Hunters - I haven't watched it yet, but I imagine that they'd be more likely to feature MLPs.

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 08:27:09 AM »

Things are certainly not antique at 25 years. 100 years is a bit more like it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal