collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: IF Internet Neutrality Fails: Getting Rid of the Arena  (Read 6173 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: IF Internet Neutrality Fails: Getting Rid of the Arena
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2017, 12:29:11 PM »
People are pretty upset Luxray. Death threats are already starting to roll in and several states are starting to make bills that protect net neutrality in individual states. Jerkface Pai doesn't seem to realize that unless its a violation of human rights, states don't have to fall in line.

Given how blatant he's acting about ignoring the voters and individual state laws, hemay be giving himself enough rope to hang, as it where.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 12:47:57 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Shatyr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2017, 12:31:28 PM »
The proposal passed on partisan lines. The Dems said no, the Republicans said yes. Now it goes to... wherever it goes to, with protesters flooding their representatives and legal challenges.

American internet won't change overnight, but it won't say free and open unless the representatives get really scared of the American people.

People are pretty upset Luxray. Death threats are already started and several states are starting to work in bills that protect net neutrality in individual states. Jerkface Pai doesn't seem to realize that unless its a violation of human rights, states don't have to fall in line.

Didn't the UN say that a free and open internet was a human right? Something along those lines?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2017, 12:47:29 PM »
The proposal passed on partisan lines. The Dems said no, the Republicans said yes. Now it goes to... wherever it goes to, with protesters flooding their representatives and legal challenges.

American internet won't change overnight, but it won't say free and open unless the representatives get really scared of the American people.

People are pretty upset Luxray. Death threats are already started and several states are starting to work in bills that protect net neutrality in individual states. Jerkface Pai doesn't seem to realize that unless its a violation of human rights, states don't have to fall in line.

Didn't the UN say that a free and open internet was a human right? Something along those lines?

I don't know. I didn't hear about that. Given how many people depend on it as at least a partial income source, it may well be.

Given how many people use it for connections and entertainment, it more likely to be seen as a luxury like tv.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2017, 01:47:49 PM »
Well I've read that if Congress can either get presidential support or 2/3 votes from the house and senate, then it can be overturned. TBH, can't say I'm surprised it didn't work out. The people that were trying to put it in were clearly not intending on listening. Of course, this doesn't mean that we lose the internet overnight. Things still have to be done to make it happen.

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2017, 01:48:41 PM »

I don't know. I didn't hear about that. Given how many people depend on it as at least a partial income source, it may well be.

Given how many people use it for connections and entertainment, it more likely to be seen as a luxury like tv.

The internet is far more than an entertainment service. It is also an information resource and colleges and researching for college papers relies heavily on it now.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

|My Collection|

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2017, 02:01:27 PM »
This year has been so incredibly embarrassing for the united states. This is one of the bigger disappointments that's happened though, the internet is so much more than just a novelty at this point. Restricting access just for financial gain is seriously messed up, although I can't help but feel there's a problem with censorship mixed in here as well.

I saw something about the UN declaring free and open internet as a human right too. Although I don't quite understand what that means I hope it factors into reversing this awful decision. I'm so incredibly frustrated with our government right now. I've been calling senators and congress about a number of issues that are important to me, including net neutrality, and clearly it means nothing to them. I really hope we start to see more protests and civil unrest. More direct action. It's clear our elected officials have no intention of listening to the american people anymore and we need more than passive agressive facebook posts and frustration at this point to change the way this country is being run. I really don't feel like I live in any kind of democracy at all anymore.

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2017, 02:42:09 PM »

The internet is far more than an entertainment service. It is also an information resource and colleges and researching for college papers relies heavily on it now.

You didn't read my whole post.

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2017, 03:39:14 PM »
As of now I suppose I'm confused as to whether I should panic or not. Lots of the posts I've been seeing about NN have been rather grim in tone, but some are speaking out about doing that because it's actually not that bad? VERY confusing. So I guess I'll just continue to panic. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is a democracy. Its not how we do things in THIS country.

Sentiment is nice but I'm going to have to disagree. We live in an oligarchy now. Just look at how the president was elected! Clearly the higher-ups really do not care what everybody else has to say and have been disregarding all opinions but their own since this year started. Honestly, a world where we have to periodically ring up our senators and representatives to beg for things we need to survive or things that we'd struggle without is NOT what I'd call a democracy.

Although such a viewpoint is not surprising, I did recently read a piece that showed that those born into and brought up in a family that is unreasonably rich tend to exhibit less compassion in general just by nature. They grow up being taught such drastically different ideals from the rest of the world, basically "it's all about me" and everybody else can suck it.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2017, 04:27:04 PM »
I just read that net neutrality lost.. this is nuts. Cue legal battles. I’m going to admit, this makes me nervous.

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2017, 06:56:55 PM »
the people saying "it's not that bad" are the ones that have less to lose by it and more to profit from it ... granted, things won't change overnight, but you bet your sweet bippy ISPs have been working on things behind the scenes for when it kicks in ...

BUT as of right now ... yes the FCC voted to end it but it still has to go through congress ... but the scary thing is that a lot of congress people are in the pockets of ISP's and receive a LOT of money from them ... the fight continues ... call/write/email your congress people make your voice heard ...
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2017, 07:24:59 PM »
As of now I suppose I'm confused as to whether I should panic or not. Lots of the posts I've been seeing about NN have been rather grim in tone, but some are speaking out about doing that because it's actually not that bad? VERY confusing. So I guess I'll just continue to panic. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is a democracy. Its not how we do things in THIS country.

Sentiment is nice but I'm going to have to disagree. We live in an oligarchy now. Just look at how the president was elected! Clearly the higher-ups really do not care what everybody else has to say and have been disregarding all opinions but their own since this year started. Honestly, a world where we have to periodically ring up our senators and representatives to beg for things we need to survive or things that we'd struggle without is NOT what I'd call a democracy.

Although such a viewpoint is not surprising, I did recently read a piece that showed that those born into and brought up in a family that is unreasonably rich tend to exhibit less compassion in general just by nature. They grow up being taught such drastically different ideals from the rest of the world, basically "it's all about me" and everybody else can suck it.

Its days like this I'm inclined to agree with you.

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2017, 09:49:13 PM »
They actually did it...well, time to round up the mob! Grab your pitchforks and torches!
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2017, 10:49:09 PM »
The net neutrality regulations imposed utility-style regulation on Internet service providers such as Comcast, AT&T and Verizon to prevent them from favoring their own digital services over their rivals – for instance, by blocking or slowing certain content.

If they do decide to block content...wouldn't a VPN be able to get past the local ISP's? I used one in China to bypass their internet censorship to access sites like FB, Youtube, ect. I would pick a location - usually Hong Kong, Tokyo or Seoul and it would trick the "whatever it is" into thinking I was accessing the net from another location and not from inside China.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2017, 02:34:00 AM »
If they do decide to block content...wouldn't a VPN be able to get past the local ISP's? I used one in China to bypass their internet censorship to access sites like FB, Youtube, ect. I would pick a location - usually Hong Kong, Tokyo or Seoul and it would trick the "whatever it is" into thinking I was accessing the net from another location and not from inside China.

Honestly this might become a necessity now. Any recommendations?
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Strawberrysweets

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Like a strawberry, I'm sweet but I can be sour too
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2017, 03:12:16 AM »
Did it happen? I read in the news that net neutrality has been officially scrapped, but I don't see the internet freaking out yet. Anyway, net neutrality is apparently protected by Norwegian law, so I guess I won't be affected... directly :lookround:
When are we going to make international internet laws so stuff like this can't happen? This whole ordeal is so weird.

We might get effected by this. Think of all the non-norwegian sites we use like MLP-Arena, facebook etc.
Icon by Minty_Magic

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal