collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone know anything about dog fencing?  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Roccoriel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Anyone know anything about dog fencing?
« on: April 07, 2015, 09:18:37 AM »
We recently got a German Shepherd pup, a little over a year old.  She is wonderful and is learning to walk nicely on leash, but I would like her to be able to run around and play in our back yard (she likes to throw balls into the air and catch them).  We are planning a fence, but where out yard meets our neighbor's, there is already a fence.  the problem is that it's a two rail fence, with wire mesh.  This would likely keep in a smaller dog, but our pup is tall enough to put her head on the dining room table without even stretching (a habit she's already learned not to do, thank goodness!).  This fence would not keep her out.  Because our neighbor's entire yard is fenced in this style, it's unlikely they would be interested in changing it.  Thus, I can think of two options:

1. Putting up fence around our yard that matches our neighbors and running an electric fence underneath to enforce that it's not to be jumped.  I absolutely don't want her shocked (she's ridiculously sensitive and tends to take even the mildest "No!" to heart, I can't even imagine what she'd think if we shocked her!).  I have seen systems that use a loud sound or vibration to deter the dog, and I think this would be enough, especially combined with a physical barrier.  The problem is, most of these systems are more for keeping pets of furniture, or out of a specific section of the yard.  I haven't found anything that doesn't use shock that is made to help contain a dog.  Does anyone know of a system like this, or have any recommendations?

2. Putting a higher physical fence, like the "Best Friend Fence" around the entire yard.  These fences are functionally invisible from 10 feet away, so our neighbor's view would not be impeded, and we wouldn't have to worry about our dog jumping it.  Where we might have a problem is mowing the lawn if there is a small gap between the fences, but we could try to put it right against the neighbor's fence, so this won't be an issue (their fence is on the property line anyway, so even coming barely on our side is our land).

Anyone have any ideas or opinions on the best option?  We're also trying to spend as little as possible and have the fence up as soon as possible.  We wouldn't ever leave her out by herself, regardless of the fence (she is very trusting and LOVES to get in cars, so someone could come steal her very easily, plus there are a ton of other dogs in the neighborhood, and we don't want her being overstimulated by them).

Thanks in advance!!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 09:24:59 AM by Roccoriel »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
Re: Anyone know anything about dog fencing?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 10:27:10 AM »
It sounds like you have a pretty good grasp of your fencing options already... I would definitely advise against the short fence/electric fence idea, though. Electric fences rarely work, and if she doesn't know it's there and just takes the leap, she'll be over the fence before she even knows it was electric.

I think a taller physical fence is your best bet. Make sure that when the fence is installed it is places a few feet into the ground in case your dog learns how to dig under the fence (or learns what my old terrier used to do: stick his nose under the fence and keep pushing it up until he had bent it into a gap large enough that he could squeeze through).

But also training your dog not to run away will help keep your fencing costs low. If she is trained to know the boundaries and not to try to leave them, that will help a lot.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 10:32:48 AM »
When I was a kid we had a similar problem--the neighbor had a split rail fence, about waist high, and at five months old our puppy got out after finding out she could sail over it with ease.

What we did was build a taller 6' chainlink fence and we just ran it parallel to the neighbor's shorter fence.  The fence was fully on our property, not that the neighbor really cared anyway.  Though it's true that you want to put the new fence as close as possible, to avoid getting weeds in the middle.

Later my mom started growing clematis up the fence, which was really lovely.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 10:36:02 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 10:42:15 AM »
I agree with what the others have said about non-physical fences. They are unreliable and as you point out yourself, could do a lot more harm than good to a sensitive dog.

I don't think your neighbour should have an objection to a mesh/chain-link type fence, as they don't block out the light, and if you make it lovely and pretty as Lady Moondancer suggested, it sounds like it would actually be an improvement on what they have already.

You seem to have forgotten the pictures of your shepherd though?  ;)

**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Roccoriel

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 11:36:39 AM »
Yeah, I've been leaning more toward the taller fence.  Glad to see that's a popular option! Since we only have to fence half the year (the other half, where it meet's the other neighbor's land has high fences- go figure).

I LOVE the climbing plant idea.

Here's my fur baby, Phoebe:

Sitting in the car, and not sure how to do it right.  She has three front legs?

Sleeping on the floor:

Smiling for the camera:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 12:08:04 PM »
What a lovely girl.   ^.^ I second putting a chain link fence and making sure it goes a few feet more into the ground. We had to add chicken wire into the ground because my aussie digs.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 02:42:06 PM »
What a lovely girl.   ^.^ I second putting a chain link fence and making sure it goes a few feet more into the ground. We had to add chicken wire into the ground because my aussie digs.
Yes, if your dog is a digger you may as well invest in a chicken wire company. :/ G. Shepherds are not as known to dig, though, so hopefully you won't have that problem! But if you are having a fencing company install the fence, they should know what you mean if you tell them to put it a few feet into the ground.

And such cute pictures! Thanks for sharing. :)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 03:12:05 PM »
Btw is it wrong that I had a mental image of two dogs fencing when I first saw this title?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 04:09:02 PM »
Btw is it wrong that I had a mental image of two dogs fencing when I first saw this title?

LOL So did I!!!!!!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline pony_magick

• Trade Count: (+14)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 07:26:34 PM »
Yeah, I second the chicken wire fence idea! I've had dogs all my life and our 2 most recent additions have meant that we've had to add another meter in fencing because they love to jump over.

I haven't heard anything good about the electric dog fences, I know our pet stores have pamphlets on them but most vets/pet shop workers don't seem to recommend them.

You just have to make sure that what ever type of fencing you get that the holes are too small for your dog to get a paw through for climbing (my ones loved this until we extended).
I am a Dreamer/So a Believer

My want list.

Offline palaisdejouets

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toy Palace
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 09:18:35 PM »

LOL So did I!!!!!!

S A M E

Fizzy Adoptable by LyraHeartstrings
Visit my tumblrs:
★*. Toy Palace •*. Toys of the '80s ★. OMG Strawberry Shortcake ★*.

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 12:34:29 AM »
Phoebe is adorable! I want to smooch her nose! :lovey:
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 08:41:39 AM »
You said you would never leave her out there unattended, so I don't really see the need for more fencing?  If she has a shepherdy personality she should be easy to train to know the boundary.  You can look up boundary training online.  I have a shepherd and she learned the boundary btwn my yard and next door's VERY fast, and there wasn't even a fence or anything.  The more you get to know her the easier it will be to train her for this. :) 

If you DO plan to leave her out there unattended, then I would recommend the physical fence over the electric one, for peace of mind.  Though I have known people who string a line of electric fence wire at the top of a fence to keep dogs from jumping/climbing out AND keep coyotes, stray dogs and/or deer from getting in.  I think a tall physical fence would be the most reliable, though.  :)
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Roccoriel

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 09:19:09 AM »
Haha, her lack of opposable thumbs ended her fencing career prematurely! Also, she love smooches. We warn guests that she has a hard time holding her "licker"

I will definitely look into a physical fence.  She is a very smart dog, so I am sure she could learn boundary lines, but it's a small yard in a busy neighborhood, and she has selective hearing... She would visit every person and dog walking by And I think only a fence would deter her!

Sorry for typos, my phone is weird sometimes...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal