collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dreamvalley closed?!  (Read 13562 times)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
Re: Dreamvalley closed?!
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 04:06:13 PM »
:(

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2016, 04:43:19 PM »
It surprises me that she would have just shut it down, rather than offer it up to somebody to take over.
I haven't spoken to Kim in years, maybe not since 15 years ago, but I think this was something personal to her and that handing it over to someone else wasn't realistic. I remember helping her at one point with one of the sections but at the end of the day it was her site and she liked to be the one running it (something I can understand, if I'm honest, because I'd be the same.) I think that DV was hers and therefore it wasn't something she'd hand over. And probably, she's right.

I liked DV better when it was insert scans. I remember figuring out all the variants on the baby sea ponies based on the insert picture of the US pearlies looking  up and trying to explain that to my pose-blind trading partner over the phone xD. It was so much fun playing that kind of guessing game and also seeing all those insert images. I guess I've always loved those. The real pony photos somehow didn't do it for me. I still think of DV as a kind of image gallery of insert and backcard images rather than just another site of pony photos. I think she shouldve kept it that way, especially when she focused on the US side of the line. It was a proper shout out to the US pony history when it had the inserts up.

From an ID site point of view, also, there isn't a need for it to be handed over, as all the information DV contains is somewhere else. Maintaining it would thus just be about nostalgia, and that's a lot to ask someone else to take on, especially when it was such a personal project.

I would never hand the scrapbook over to someone else to run, and I don't blame Kim for not handing over DV.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2016, 04:53:26 PM »
I liked DV better when it was insert scans. I remember figuring out all the variants on the baby sea ponies based on the insert picture of the US pearlies looking  up and trying to explain that to my pose-blind trading partner over the phone xD. It was so much fun playing that kind of guessing game and also seeing all those insert images. I guess I've always loved those. The real pony photos somehow didn't do it for me.

Felt exactly the same way! I appreciate that she went for greater accuracy w/ the actual pics, but I preferred the scans, and of course over time the quality of the photos became a problem as much better images became available.

I started collecting again in 1998 and Dream Valley was there from Day 1 . . . I even contributed some of the commercial song lyrics b/c I remembered them from the 80s! Kim was always very generous and interested in what other collectors had to offer. I remember she even altered her MLP checklist based on my suggestion, which was especially nice since she probably got a lot of nutty emails from other collectors :)

Hip hip hooray for Dream Valley! I'll always remember you fondly.
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline silverdawn

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2016, 05:10:39 PM »
Isn't there anyone who could or would be willing to take it over?  There are still a lot of pictures and informations on her page that I can't find anywhere else.  Ie, makeup bag mail order stuff, Lil Litter Nursery accessory pictures, and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.  I'm trying not to panic here...

Oops, sorry, just saw Taffeta's reply from while I was typing :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 05:12:22 PM by silverdawn »

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2016, 05:22:53 PM »
Oh nooo :( I went to DV a lot when I first started collecting, I know it was a bit out of date but I loved how nostalgic it felt. I understand why she doesn't want to hand it over to someone else (it did feel very personal, one reason I loved it) but why not just leave it up as an archive.. :( I'm sure she has her reasons. I'll miss it, anyway.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2016, 05:27:20 PM »
Use the Wayback Machine to see older versions of the site:
https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.kimsites.net/dreamvalley/
https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.kimsites.net/*

Images might not work and not all pages might be saved but maybe people can find some of the info they're concerned about and save it elsewhere.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2016, 05:28:46 PM »
I can understand not wanting someone else to take over, especially with so many of the pictures being of her own collection.

(I did prefer it when it showed insert pictures though, LOL.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline silverdawn

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2016, 05:38:40 PM »
Thanks Taxel, you're a lifesaver!! :D :D

Offline PetSounds

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2016, 05:59:57 PM »
I just came here to see if anyone else was already talking about this...... So quick.
This was also first site I used to identify ponies and such..... wow. Sorry to see it's gone.
"I guess I just wasn't made for these times..."   - Pet Sounds

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2016, 06:01:13 PM »
:(  It was such a lovely site and I have such fond memories of searching the site, looking up IDs and putting together wish lists when I started collecting.

I can understand wanting if she's done with it, for whatever reason, but I'm sad to see DV go.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline plushroo

• Trade Count: (+252)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • princess Cotton Candy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2016, 06:23:49 PM »
I hate to see another good site gone :(. I used Dreamvalley for identifying my stuff when I started collecting almost 10 years ago.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2016, 06:29:32 PM »
Thanks Taxel, you're a lifesaver!! :D :D

You're welcome! I hope you can find the info you wanted.

Offline BethyVic

• Let It Be/Peace & Love Pony
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There is still a light that shines on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2016, 07:09:26 PM »
That was my absolute favorite ID and information site.  Very sad. 
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

Online Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2016, 07:43:51 PM »
Dream Valley was the first MLP collector site I went to and discovered many ponies that I didn't remember seeing in stores and learning so much about the mail orders etc.. Dream Valley was where I learned that my white pegasus rainbow pony was Starshine.

As Taffeta mentioned though I also tried to help Kim upate some info on Dream Valley. She had posted on her site that she wasn't sure what duck pull toy came with BBE Baby Gusty. BBE  Baby Gusty was one of my childhood ponies and I still had her duck pull toy. She was also my only BBE that was sold with that type of toy. I emailed Kim and told her very nice that I could confirm that BBE Baby Gusty came with that duck pull toy but the next time I looked at her site it still listed BBE Baby Gusty's duck pull toy as unconfirmed. I wondered if she thought my information wasn't good enough since I didn't have BBE Baby Gusty MIB and was going off of my played with one.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2016, 07:48:34 PM »
 :(

It's sad to see it closed, but I can understand and respect her decision. 
Mimic on MLPTP

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal