collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pet stair recommendations?  (Read 849 times)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Pet stair recommendations?
« on: July 25, 2016, 10:55:54 AM »
Those that don't know last week my Yorki was playing rough with my older poodle and made him cry and bite the crap out of her. After all of this he couldn't seem to walk and was very wobbly. I took him to the vet and they said he has arthritis and the little incident has made him sore, since is all in his back that causes the walking issues.

They did x rays and gave him some
Shots and then meds. He was feeling better till the shots wore off, but he hurts today. I've been carrying him up stairs and putting him in couches and beds ect that require jumping. The vet said to try two weeks on the meds and see if he feels better.

I'm curious about pet stairs. I thought about getting him some for the bed and couch to encourage less jumping. My question is has someone used these? Is there a brand better than others? He weighs about 20  pounds so not for like a tiny tea cup sizes dog. Thanks!

Would he do better with a ramp? But wouldn't that be hard to climb?
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Pet stair recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 04:33:28 AM »
I don't know. Hubby has forbidden stairs for the pups. He says they are in the bed enough as it is. :silly: I would imagine if they were sturdy enough for his weight and had something (like carpet) on them for traction any would be fine. I'd think a ramp might be difficult too.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 08:15:40 AM »
I had some fancy wooden Animal Planet ones that were expensive, and they broke quickly.

I have two sets of these and they hold up for 2-3 years.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/pupstep-plus-dog-stairs/1015078499

My doggy loves them for getting up on our bed. He's short and it's too tall for him to jump up. He gets confused if I move them to vacuum or whatever and tries to go up them and when there's nothing at the top he looks around like, wtf?

I had to show him how to use at first but he picked it up quickly. My mom has tried it with Ellie but Ellie refuses to use the steps and prefers jumping up and down.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 08:25:28 AM »
I have a set my grandmother got for her ancient fat Boston terriers before they passed away.  They're plastic and a single piece, and I don't think they can break because I may or may not have used them to reach the top of my closet and I weigh a lot more than a fat Boston!  I will look to see what brand they are when I get home. 

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 08:27:20 AM »
I cant help you there--the dogs were forbidden to go to the upper level over here
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 08:48:08 AM »
They sell stairs at pet stores. I have two old couch pillows stacked against one bed and a low chair next to the other. My little dude has trouble jumping since one leg is shorter. It's just hard for him to get enough thrust at the correct angle. I've used boxes before, too. Sometimes you have to show them how to use any form of stairs several times before they trust it.

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 12:09:39 PM »
I have a set very similar to the ones dragonfly posted and they work perfectly. Not had any issues with them. The dogs like them too. And I like that I don't have to lift them onto the bed every night lol.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 03:59:09 PM »
Thanks everyone and no rush Skeen when you find the brand to would be helpful as I plan to compare prices and quality. He isn't super heavy but at 20 pounds it's not like a 10 pound toy poodle. Honestly he has always been a jumper and gets up on his own. It's just now after his injury he needs something. He will sit in the floor near the bed or couch and just stare at me looking sad.  >_<
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 01:11:05 AM »
Oh. Poor guy. My Wesley was like that after his surgery. He'd sit there and scratch at the couch or bed with one paw. He's 15lbs. I also wanted to add that I've used stairs made for children to use at the sink before. They were inexpensive and worked well. Washable, too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal