collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: {Updated!} Issues with a doll...  (Read 878 times)

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
{Updated!} Issues with a doll...
« on: January 08, 2013, 12:32:24 PM »
I wasn't sure if this should go in its' own thread or in the MH Discussion, but I need some advice on a doll with face-paint issues.

My aunt got me a Scaris Clawdeen from Amazon for Christmas, and I noticed after I opened her that her eyeshadow on one side is flaking off. Quite badly, too; there was one small spot, and then when I moved her hair away to check it out, more flaked off just from touching it.

Should I write to Mattel, considering she was a gift, I have no receipt (and don't know if I could get one from my aunt), and I've completely deboxed her? I also have a lousy camera, so I'm not sure I can get pictures of the issues if they ask for them.

How exactly do I go about contacting Mattel, anyway?

Any advice would be great.

UPDATE: I did write to Mattel, and got a reply back a little while ago. They asked me to send her back to them for a replacement. I think I'll try exchanging her at Walmart first, though. I'm a bit afraid of getting another one sights-unseen because I don't want the same issues.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:04:46 AM by GryffindorHermione »
**Formerly known as GryffindorHermione**
~*{Squirrely's Stuff For Sale}*~
Ponies ;; Dolls ;; Other Toys

Rococo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Issues with a doll...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »
You should still get in contact with Mattel and explain the situation to them. Maybe snap some photos of the defects for reference if you can. They may (or may not) ask you to return the doll for a replacement but you shouldn't be stuck with a dud doll.

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »
How do you go about contacting them?

Offline BlueChaos

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 02:22:31 PM »
There is a phone number on the customer service part of Mattel's website.

Rococo

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 02:25:47 PM »
When my Rochelle had major face/eye issues, I went to the Mattel website to their "contact us" page and sent them an email. I also took pictures of my Rochelle's defects and put links in my mail showing them visual proof. They sent me a voucher by mail without asking for anything to be returned but different customers have different experiences. Some are asked to return the dolls for a replacement, others get a free replacement, and some get vouchers. Not sure how Mattel determines how they handle any one customer so it might depend on which representative you get.

Rainsong

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 08:47:12 PM »
When the Cupids I got off Amazon arrived and both had eye wonk (not severe, but still), I went to their website and sent an e-mail. Got a $40 voucher (cost of both Cupids) without ever having to talk to a live person. I didn't have to send the dolls back, and I didn't have to send in any pics or anything.

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 09:56:29 PM »
Thanks for the advice, guys. ^_^ I sent off an email to them a little while ago, so I'll just hope for the best.

The sad part is, I went to Walmart tonight and they had two of the dolls, both with perfect faces. If I had only noticed before opening her, I could have exchanged her for one of them.

Rococo

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 11:00:41 PM »
Thanks for the advice, guys. ^_^ I sent off an email to them a little while ago, so I'll just hope for the best.

The sad part is, I went to Walmart tonight and they had two of the dolls, both with perfect faces. If I had only noticed before opening her, I could have exchanged her for one of them.

Can you not take back all the cardboard packaging and the doll/accessories to Walmart with the receipt and get an exchange for a non-defective one?

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 11:25:43 PM »
I considered that, but I don't know if they'd take her back considering she's been opened and I don't have a receipt.

I thought about buying one of the ones they had and then returning my defective one with that receipt, but again, I'm not sure if they'll take back an open doll and I don't really have the money to spend on another one if they won't take back the one I have.

Rococo

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 11:50:00 PM »
I considered that, but I don't know if they'd take her back considering she's been opened and I don't have a receipt.

I thought about buying one of the ones they had and then returning my defective one with that receipt, but again, I'm not sure if they'll take back an open doll and I don't really have the money to spend on another one if they won't take back the one I have.

*facepalm* you said right in OP you didn't have a receipt. Silly me c:

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 01:26:43 PM »
No problem. XD

I did give Walmart a call, and the person I talked to said she couldn't make any promises but to bring the doll in and they'd see what they could do about exchanging her for me. So right now I'm trying to decide whether to wait on Mattel's response or to just go ahead and try to exchange her.

Offline Wrenn_Rosencrantz

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • Somewhere over the rainbow...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 01:53:53 PM »
I'd go with Mattel, tbh.  They have really good customer service from what I've found.
Wrenn's Wish List! visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 07:58:37 PM »
Mattel is usually pretty good on customer support. They'll probably just have you ship the doll to them and they'll send you a replacement.  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 09:00:32 AM »
I got a reply back a couple minutes ago. They asked me to send her back to them for a replacement. I think I'll try exchanging her at Walmart first, though. I'm a bit afraid of getting another one sights-unseen because I don't want the same issues.

Rococo

Re: {Updated!} Issues with a doll...
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 01:54:13 PM »
Good luck with Walmart! Hopefully you get one with a flawless face. I totally get not wanting to send in your doll for a sight-unseen replacement because there's that off chance that you end up with a doll that is at worst more flawed than the original doll and possibly just a "bit better" but still flawed.

It's really a shame that it takes so much work to get a good-looking doll. I don't remember the toys from my own childhood (which was admittedly around 15 years ago) needing to be so scrutinized for a decent one.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal