collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Thinking of doing a repaint to sell... advice?  (Read 1159 times)

Knibitz

• Trade Count: (0)
Thinking of doing a repaint to sell... advice?
« on: February 13, 2012, 09:19:38 AM »
So I've had several people now message me both here and elsewhere asking me if I'd sell my customs or asking me if I take commissions. I'm starting to consider trying out doing a repaint to resell.

What do you guys like about my customs?

Sleepy Cleo: [size=78%]http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,287214.0.html[/size]
Merideth: [size=78%]http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,286452.0.html[/size]

I guess my biggest worry is that people will get them and not be as impressed as they are with the photos  :cry:
You can see the flaws a lot better in person.
I think they look fine from a distance or on display, but getting up close to them, you can start to see my amateur work.

What would you pay for one of my customs?   Keep in mind that I can either do black out eyes (like merideth) or sleepy eyes (like cleo) I have tried open eyes many a time and failed horridly.
And I mean legitimately what YOU would pay, not what you think I could get for them.
I'd at least have to cover the cost of the doll (bought off the shelf so 15-25$)  but I'd like to hope to make profit too.

Lastly, if there is someone legitimately interested in being my guinea pig and would want to outright commission me for a custom, let me know.  Just realize that I am not 100% confident that my work is as great as I photograph it.

Offline MacabreDarling

• Trade Count: (+119)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://macabredarling.deviantart.com/
Re: Thinking of doing a repaint to sell... advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 10:01:47 AM »
Well, as a test out, why don't you find someone who would be willing to do a trade with you? Then you both get something from it and  you get the chance to experiment without worrying about a commissioner being mad about not getting their monies worth?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Thank you tinrobo!

Knibitz

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 10:14:48 AM »
Trade another custom? Or trade for just another mh?

Repulsive333

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 11:25:48 AM »
I think that is a great idea... A Custom trade.
:)

I think that is a wonderful suggestion.
Plus you will get more practice in too. <3

Knibitz

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 12:04:17 PM »
honestly I'm not interested in anyone else's customs :X I just putting my creativity on my own. 
I'd rather trade for just a stock doll.

Repulsive333

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 12:44:17 PM »
Well i would put up a thread and see if anyone is interested.
:)

Post Merge: February 13, 2012, 12:45:44 PM

Do you have any close up pictures of the one with blacked out eyes?
I would like to see your style. <3

SuniMoon

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 01:38:43 PM »
Honestly, selling customs is hard. You can make a gorgeous doll, price it fairly, and nobody will touch it for ages... Meanwhile, they'll buy another doll that isn't so great, and you sit and wonder "Whyyyy?"

But they DO sell, it just takes time and patience... I'd say if you're going to sell them, do it through Etsy. 20 cents for a three month listing isn't too big a loss.

As for photography... I dunno, I think flaws show up better on film... Granted, you're a photographer, you know how to make things look nice. xD

But I saw the unedited pic of sleeping Cleo from the other thread, and she looked really nice. Pretty photos should be used to your advantage, nobody is going to be disappointed. xD ...And if you're worried about disappointing, then start the prices on the low end.

I think I'd price/buy the sleeping Cleo at around $40, though, for the doll nude.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal