collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MIBs - I don't understand. Do you open them up?  (Read 4219 times)

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
Re: MIBs - I don't understand. Do you open them up?
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2015, 07:13:53 PM »
My first thought is generally to want a pony loose. Once I have it loose, though, sometimes I do want its MOC counterpart to have a 'timeless' version of it. I have what my bf and I dubbed a wall shrine of g3s (and a few other mixed MIB / MOC toys) that go around my computer monitor, and two more MIB / MOC toys on either side of the light switch in my room.

I feel that the age of the toy is the primary thing that needs to be considered. There are people who specifically want the MOC versions of things and once they are opened, that opportunity is gone forever. I also think that how nice things look in their packaging (and how that packaging is set up) plays a role for me personally. If the packaging is nice and I can hang the toy on my wall a lot of times I'm happy to leave it in its box. If not, i often don't have room to.

When it comes to g1 (and possibly even g2. Still don't have any yet.) I also feel there is a level of community responsibility / compassion involved. Sort of like how we agree that cars need to stop at a red light. Yes, you -can- drive your car forward if no one is there, but is that really the best idea? The last time this conversation came up, I sat reading the comments and contemplating the fact that I had been thinking of getting a g1 to unbox. Prior to that discussion I had no clue the role MOC g1 ponies actually played within the community. Once I was aware, I made my peace with the fact that I would not be doing that--partially out of moral support for those who collect MOC g1 and partially because I found a way I like getting poinies better: swaps. (Truthfully? Getting toys out of packaging, at least 2015 packaging, is a pain!) :lol:

So I guess my short answer is that I don't think it's my right to tell others whether to open their ponies, but as an aware member of the community, it is both my responsibility and privilege to be a part of the preservation of our hobby's history--whether that's through owning a favorite g1 MOC (not yet) or by recognizing the importance of making sure some ponies stay that way.

Also, I :heart: my g3 wall shrine. :lol: When I get stressed writing or blogging its lovely being able to sit back and just enjoy my ponies.

Swap Wishlist

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2015, 10:27:15 PM »
I would get an MIB pony just for the backcard story :3

But I WILL avoid MIB G1s...they're way to pricey and they'll have body issues when you take em out and I don't have time for that mess XD
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2015, 11:04:03 PM »
I would get an MIB pony just for the backcard story :3

But I WILL avoid MIB G1s...they're way to pricey and they'll have body issues when you take em out and I don't have time for that mess XD
Yep ,I'm with you on the G1s ,sticking to my G2,G4 and the few G3 I get here and there :)
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline Bibinettepony

• Tickle, the Rainbow Pegasus Queen
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2015, 05:29:21 AM »
Seeing a MIB pony is like being transported back to a time when every store with a toy aisle had ponies hanging on the pegs, beautiful and new.  :)  They're also a unique little piece of history.  I don't really get it when people think they're 'sad', lol.

^.^ ^.^ I love this.

I am a MOC MIB Collector  ;) mostly because I got only one pony (I mean real MLP item) my sister also one and the rest was remco.
And also because :I have really no souvenir of seeing them in supermarket etc..  :huh: :huh: that's why now It is always a real pleasure to discover them still in their original package !! nearly 30 yrs later I see what I did not seen  :biggrin: I really really love them  :lovey: :lovey: :lovey:
MLP forever MLP pour toujours

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2015, 08:32:03 AM »
I have a lot of MIB G4 ponies, but those are much easier to come by and some of them have really nice packaging that's perfect for displaying. 

If the price is right, I'll sometimes get one MIB/MOC and get a second to take out.

I will NEVER get a MIB G1 though (unless there's something super special about the packaging).  I definitely prefer those loose.  I'm not gonna pay an arm and a leg for some cardboard. :nope:  Plus, I'd be too tempted to remove them and it seems the collecting community has a thing against people doing that with G1s (although I say do what you want with what you bought with your money. No one should stop you from that).
Instagram / Want List

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also likes transforming plastic robots
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2015, 08:52:27 AM »
I'm definitely a fan of taking things out of their boxes. I usually don't have the space to keep all those boxes and I love displaying figures loose. They look much nicer and I can play with them if I like. That being said, I would NEVER do that to a 20-30 year old pony. It has survived this long with its packaging why take it out now? However, I'm still on the fence about some MIB g3's I found. I want to take them out but sort of not at the same time. However one of the packages is sort of damaged so It's probably not worth keeping it.

Also, what would you guys do if some G1/G2 package is damaged? Like not just time-related stuff like the glue/tape loosing their stickiness. I'm talking about something major that really could decrease the value or is an eyesore that detracts from the overall MIB look? As unthinkable as that is, let's say it DID happen. What would you do? Keep the pony in the box anyway or take it out?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 08:59:57 AM by Shimmer Mist »

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2015, 10:04:22 AM »
I have 3 moc sparkle ponies crumpled up and barely hanging on. I kept them that way. They were hanging up like that. They're in boxes with everything else right now. :)

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline DalaPony

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2015, 10:15:30 AM »
I don't buy MIB or MOC, as I like to have ponies loose so I can touch them and play with them. I also don't have room for a lot of packaging, even though the boxes and cards are really pretty. I concentrate on finding loose ponies and leave MIB and MOC ponies for those who do collect them :)

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2015, 06:48:53 PM »
I can totally understand the appeal of MIB ponies and I love looking at pictures of them.  That being said, they are not for me, personally.  I like being able touch, handle, and photograph my various collections (from ponies, to Breyer horses, to dolls).  So I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a MIB pony when I could purchase and enjoy the loose version much more cheaply in most cases.  If I ever found a MIB G1 or G2 in a thrift store or something, I'd probably keep it just because it is a cool thing to have in my collection, and I wouldn't open it so it could stay as-is for the sake of preserving it.  Even though I don't seek them out, though, when MIB G3s come into my hands (usually as presents from my Dad) I open them without guilt.  They are new enough that I don't feel conflicted and I enjoy them more out of the box.  That's just my opinion, though, and I understand that there are counter arguments.  I also open G4s.

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Ponykit

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2015, 04:49:44 PM »
If I buy a toy that comes in a box, I will open it up, regardless of value.

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2015, 06:11:57 PM »
If I buy a toy that comes in a box, I will open it up, regardless of value.
:like:
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline Lady.Arachnia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I, Myself, am Strange and Unusual...
    • View Profile
    • Boutique Gothique, Very Unique Gothic & Fantasy Wear & Jewelry
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2015, 01:38:37 AM »
If a G1/2/3 pony is still MIB i would personally let them MIB/MOC.
But a couple of years ago I bought here on the Arena a MOC G1 FireFly with as purpose to decard her! I asked for a MOC pony with flaws such as a cracked bubble or something like that. The FireFly I bought had a very yellowed and cracked bubble, so she was better off with her bubble. Her card was still intact and the pony is so mint, like she was made yesterday!

Thank you Artists for Itsy Bitsy Spider Pony! xxx

PrincessGlitterBloom

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2015, 11:35:39 AM »
My brain kind of auto goes to "free them" and "they're suffocating!"

But for the sake of other's logic, that is much more sound than mine. I'll just pretend MIB ponies are the prissy ones that want to remain perfect protected princesses.

;) Since they're basically time capsules, I'll say they're quarantined from all our future germs. They don't want to end up sunfaded with pony cancer, the horror (though I don't think staying in box will necessarily prevent this)

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2015, 02:22:42 PM »
My brain kind of auto goes to "free them" and "they're suffocating!"

But for the sake of other's logic, that is much more sound than mine. I'll just pretend MIB ponies are the prissy ones that want to remain perfect protected princesses.

;) Since they're basically time capsules, I'll say they're quarantined from all our future germs. They don't want to end up sunfaded with pony cancer, the horror (though I don't think staying in box will necessarily prevent this)
  :) LOL  yes , that is a fact , I had been forced to open a couple of  G2 Mocs ,they were in super bad shape ,horror indeed :(
I was able to clean them up and put them back on their box,or replace the pony with a minty loose pony I had in hand :)
so ,some will get damaged ,even being Moc but exposed to heat and humidity and sometimes sun .  :pout: lol
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal