collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

What is a duplicate?

Every pony is different - there is no such thing as a duplicate!
1 (1.4%)
If it has the same name and general colour/symbol/hair going on, its a duplicate
16 (23.2%)
Different poses/hair/symbol variations do not count as duplicates
49 (71%)
I don't know
3 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: What is a duplicate?  (Read 417 times)

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
What is a duplicate?
« on: May 26, 2013, 07:17:35 AM »
So. I do not want duplicates in my G4 collection - I have duplicates in my G1, G2 and G3 collections. I know with G4 particularly there are a lot of re-releases and I have been reasonable about putting extras in my bait box.

However, help me out! Bent leg Cherilee and straight leg Cherilee - are they duplicates?

thekozmicpig

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What is a duplicate?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 07:32:28 AM »
For me, a slight variation (bent leg, glitter, tinsel, forelock) wouldn't count as a duplicate as there is something different there, but for some people, Rainbow Dash is Rainbow Dash regardless of whether or not she has glitter on her.

I don't loose sleep over not having a Fluttershy with tinsel, but some do. It really depends on how you want to collect, and how much space you have in your home and bank account.

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 07:34:17 AM »
Had to go with the 3rd choice. To me, variants are not duplicates!

http://www.strawberryreef.com/Index/BodyType/fim.html <- if I have two of the same variant, then its considered a duplicate to me! Things like cutie marks of the opposite side, tinsel,  glitter, posed legs, different hair patterns, different eye patterns, all of those matter in difference to me!

Post Merge: May 26, 2013, 07:38:48 AM

So. I do not want duplicates in my G4 collection - I have duplicates in my G1, G2 and G3 collections. I know with G4 particularly there are a lot of re-releases and I have been reasonable about putting extras in my bait box.

However, help me out! Bent leg Cherilee and straight leg Cherilee - are they duplicates?
I consider those completely different ponies! =P It depends on how you see it. For some just having one toy of the character  is enough, some people don't think slight differences in two toys of the same character are worth buying,  for others small things like glitter on the cutie mark are dramatically different!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 07:39:46 AM by Lightning Twirl »

Offline Rhubarbpie

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 07:42:19 AM »
Yeah I am with Lightening Twirl on this.  Tinsel hair, different poses, even a gem eye shine, are all variants not duplicates.  I have a few G4 armies, every one of my ponies in my armies have something different about them.

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 07:50:43 AM »
^ thank you! Same here, I have a few armies from collecting variants as well-particularly my Pinkie Pie army! 17 total (even ones coming in the mail) and no two Pinkie Pies in my herd are the same! =P
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 07:53:13 AM by Lightning Twirl »

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 08:09:26 AM »
I think when it comes to your personal collection, you'll need to decide for yourself. If you let someone else decide what "duplicate" means for you, you may regret some decisions you end up making later. That said, to me a duplicate is a pony that is the same release of a pony. So the 2 Cheerilees would be different for me.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 08:14:26 AM »
I used to keep any pony that was even slightly different than its counterpart, but as my collection grew and my space diminished I decided to become much more decisive in declaring ponies duplicates.
So to me, a pony in the same pose with the same symbol and hair, regardless of small variations is a duplicate. I will keep CP and Shy Pose Bow Tie (for now :P) because they are different enough for me. I also will not keep an Italian and and HK pony if they are basically the same pony with slight paintwork differences.

Oh and as for G4 which I don't really collect, one pony per character is enough. My mom bought me my second G4 - Crystal Empire Twilight Sparkle and as far as I'm concerned, that will be the only regular sized brushable Twilight Sparkle I want to have
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 08:17:55 AM by Vintergatan »
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 11:06:29 AM »
I think when it comes to your personal collection, you'll need to decide for yourself. If you let someone else decide what "duplicate" means for you, you may regret some decisions you end up making later. That said, to me a duplicate is a pony that is the same release of a pony. So the 2 Cheerilees would be different for me.

Pretty much all of this for me :)

If Cheerilee is identical - same pose, same symbol location, same hair, etc etc, then she is a duplicate. If any of these features vary she is a different release. I dont like the word variant in relation lol...I am being fussy but for me variant is something which defines Argie Lofty from US Lofty not a raised leg Cheerilee from a standing on all 4s Cheerilee...*goes off to hide in her old fashioned, fussy cave*
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Winter Bones

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 11:12:27 AM »
For me, a slight variation (bent leg, glitter, tinsel, forelock) wouldn't count as a duplicate as there is something different there, but for some people, Rainbow Dash is Rainbow Dash regardless of whether or not she has glitter on her.

That's me. :P I generally don't like having two of the same pony when it comes to G4, and the only ponies I would really count as non-duplicates would be the Lyra/Trixie mis-match prototypes, the sparkle/black haired Pinkie, glimmer wings and alitwi because they differ enough from the regular releases. The rest, like tinsel hair or eye shines or sparkle symbols strike me as such minor changes they don't really warrant me buying them-especially when you consider the vast amount of mane 6 characters being released again and again. That's just my opinion, though. There's nothing wrong with adding both Cheerilees to your collection if the bent leg pose is a big enough difference to you. :)

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 11:17:04 AM »
I would consider any pony that is the exact same release to be a duplicate..
Like I have 2 Surprise's for example. One has factory curls and is nicer while the other has straight hair and less glitter. While they are different from one another they are still the same release, so for me they are duplicates.

However if I had a No Country Surprise, even though they look the same on the outside they are stamped differently and were available in a different country, so the pony itself wouldn't be considered a duplicate to me.. That make sense?

Everyone's definition is different though! Kinda like the whole Bait-Mint thing.
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 03:08:01 PM »
I decided that both my Cherrilee's would stay.

As would my duplicate Twilights and Pinkies. However no new duplicates. I can't bait these ponies because they've already experienced collection life. :P

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 03:49:23 PM »
"no new duplicates"...until the next ones :P Thats what I always say!!! :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 04:04:56 PM »
 I picked the second option, since that's what I personally do, but technically option three makes the most sense to me.
 I guess I'd suggest keeping all varieties for a while, until you find out if they're rare or special or something, then sell whichever ones are too similar for your tastes.
I'll put something here some time

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 04:38:40 PM »
Hey be glad you do not collect Original Finish Breyers.  The same model over it's life time can come in a ton of colors and even tons of variation among one color. 

To use they are variations and we do not need all of em, unless it is a Minty then we need em all.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 04:42:20 PM »
I only consider them duplicates if it's the same pony in the same pose that you already have :) I have a Sugar Sweet army and even though each one's hair is styled a bit different, I consider them all duplicates since she only came in that pose. Firefly and movie Firefly I do not consider duplicates because they are in different poses :)
My Wish List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal