collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Might throw my first ever pony away  (Read 2829 times)

Offline Nightbow

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • A figment of your imagination
    • View Profile
Might throw my first ever pony away
« on: July 16, 2014, 08:11:29 AM »
Hey'all, I'd just want to vent a bit. Ask for support, I suppose. You see, I have this Sunburst who has been with me for as long as I remember (my mom says he's the first pony she bought me) and while I think he's gorgeous, well... he has cancer. Something bad. A dark spot between his nostril, plastered all over his muzzle, and big dark spot all over his body with light rims.

I think it's only gotten worse since I decided to clean him a couple of years ago. I know he's been with me in the bathtub many, many times, and upon opening him I found that the plastic inside was sticky, or grainy, or wet, or somesuch. So I scrubbed and boiled him and thought It'd stop the spreading, but I swear he didn't have that head/body mismatch before. His head is still light yellow but his body is... tawny. Mustard. :(

I have many precious memories of this pony. He was really ugly to begin with; I always remember him having that muzzle spot. But it has come to a point where I don't feel happy to see him on the shelf anymore. I'm afraid whatever he as is contagious, or that I'll have to watch him get even worse (if that's a possibility). So I think it's time to let him go. I just... I just don't know if I can bring myself to just... throw him away.
I'm looking to buy Port-o-Bella. Please email me.

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
Re: Might throw my first ever pony away
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 08:16:24 AM »
I would not throw him away because you had also some good childhood memories from him. Perhaps you can store him "worthy" like putting him into a nice box and put him away somewhere. I shall definitely keep him. :)

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 08:18:48 AM »
1. I know it's sad when childhood ponies degrade. My childhood salty is covered in great big brown splotches, but I love him still.

2. It's very unlikely that what he has is contagious, as it sounds like plastic degradation (pretty common in most of the mountain boys).

3. No Sunburst EVER should be thrown away (in fact, no pony in my opinion). If you really don't want him, someone else will definitely take him off your hands and make the best of him (myself included).

4. :hug:
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 08:25:19 AM »
I say don't throw him away just because he is starting to degrade, that happens over time. I have a Baby Moondancer that was stricken with cancer and while she still has it I cleaned her up and proudly display her with the rest of my ponies (how can I say no to her cute little face!)

If you really want to get rid of him though, consider selling him to someone here who would be happy to take care of him :)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Saphraira

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Shoo be doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 08:25:45 AM »
I agree with the other two, think about it for a while longer or hand him off to someone, he dosent need to be tossed.

Also I am very sorry about how you're feeling, it must be very sad. :(
Looking for Surprise twins mommy

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 08:32:41 AM »
Nooo! Don't throw away a pony!  :drunk: (Especially Sunburst!)

It depends, but I could possibly be looking to purchase him from you, if you really want him gone.  :)

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 08:34:17 AM »
Don't throw him away!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 08:46:52 AM »
No matter what he looks like I wouldn't throw him away. I am sure you have some memories of him too.  I regretted doing that to my childhood ponies. I only have 2 childhood ponies left now the rest are just replacements.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 08:59:40 AM »
A couple of my childhood ponies did the same thing- Bubbles entire head turned brown! But it's discoloration from the plasticiser breaking down- it doesn't "spread" to other ponies.  I've kept Bubbles around thinking I'd make her into a custom at some point.  Maybe you could send him off to a customizer to fix up?

Although I think that Big Bro pony is fairly hard to find/well liked, so some might want him with plastic breakdown and all (which is SUUUUPER common in the boys for whatever reason)

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 09:09:13 AM »
I echo what everyone else has said, I wouldn't just throw him away. If you are ready to part with him then I suggest giving him to a new home, or like Galactica said, maybe you could find a customizer around here that could fix him up and give him new life for you. to be honest the customizer option was the very first thing that I thought of. If your pony has finished his life as what he was meant to be, now he can become something new and beautiful all over again :D

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Offline PinkiePosh

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • previously pinkiepony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Marketplace Store
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 09:30:06 AM »
I'm not sure if the cancer spreading thing is a myth or not, but I would suggest just separating him from the rest!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 09:31:47 AM »
Heavens NO don't do that!  If he is your childhood pony, that is worth millions more than his condition.  I am sure you would regret it!  I regret throwing away my childhood sea ponies more than any other collecting decision I have ever made...

Clean him up as best you can and proudly display him with love!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

MedleysMaelstrom

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 09:35:18 AM »
You will regret throwing out your childhood buddy D: If you are really concerned with the possibility of it spreading then just quarantine your pony.  Make a pony shadow box and hang it on your wall as an ode to childhood and all things pony :D

Someone threw out my childhood ponies and I'm still mourning their loss.  Don't give up!

Offline Nightbow

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • A figment of your imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 09:45:51 AM »
Thanks for all of the response!

I really wish I could show you guys just how bad he looks. Unfortunately things are still not in order after my move and I can only find my camera and my SO's chord - so no pictures. Also I can't get my webcam to work, though I dunno if that would have been helpful.

Maybe I should pop him open a second time. Make sure everything is all-right, y'know? (Last time I did that he lost two orange plugs but hey -- it's better than having unhindered cancer.) I don't feel sad as much as... just meh. He had a good run. But I'd probably miss him if I got rid of him and I'm certain getting a replacement wouldn't help. It's just not the same.

It's weird. Somehow I imagine the spots would go away if I boiled him. *sigh* They won't, of course.
I'm looking to buy Port-o-Bella. Please email me.

Offline UrocyonFox

• Zombie BBE Pony
  • Trade Count: (+142)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Urocyonfox's Artwork
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 09:54:46 AM »
Oh no don't throw him away!

Everyone has said it and I agree, You would have no problem finding him a home where he would be loved flaws and all (myself included). Then you could be satisfied as well knowing your childhood friend is appreciated and not in a dump somewhere!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal