collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I hereby challenge the needfulness of "peroxide fading"  (Read 9188 times)

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
Re: I hereby challenge the needfulness of "peroxide fading"
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 01:28:30 PM »
Bones whiten in peroxide without sunlight. In fact, it's the best way to whiten them. Some people will lay them in sunlight after soaking in peroxide, but I never do and my bones are as white as "professionally" whitened ones.

Also, the strength of the sun is not the same everywhere. I did this without peroxide at all, in about three days-

It might be worth to try for people who live in different climates. Obviously, someone in the Northeast or England wouldn't be able to get results like the above from the sun alone so quickly.

I'll see what I can do.
Did she get all hard though? :/ That's always what's kept me from trying it on my ponies since people have said they get so brittle they can be damaged.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 01:40:21 PM »
Wow! Fascinating stuff guys...I cant wait to follow you on these experiments. As someone a little afraid to use any chemicals on ponies if I can avoid it, I ll be really curious as to whether the water/sun bath has the same speed of effect as the peroxide/sun bath.

Good luck all!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 02:59:05 PM »
I have found victims but I've a question for those already versed in peroxide and ponies - Does peroxide harm glitter symbols?

Bones whiten in peroxide without sunlight. In fact, it's the best way to whiten them. Some people will lay them in sunlight after soaking in peroxide, but I never do and my bones are as white as "professionally" whitened ones.

Also, the strength of the sun is not the same everywhere. I did this without peroxide at all, in about three days-

It might be worth to try for people who live in different climates. Obviously, someone in the Northeast or England wouldn't be able to get results like the above from the sun alone so quickly.

I'll see what I can do.
Did she get all hard though? :/ That's always what's kept me from trying it on my ponies since people have said they get so brittle they can be damaged.

Hard? No, she's fine. The Precious Pocket ponies are bigger and tougher than other ponies already (at least the ones I have are) but she's not *hard* like Sky Rocket or Party Time can get. You can still squeeze her middle and legs.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Rhini

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 03:06:10 PM »
I have found victims but I've a question for those already versed in peroxide and ponies - Does peroxide harm glitter symbols?

I'll see what I can do.

Hard? No, she's fine. The Precious Pocket ponies are bigger and tougher than other ponies already (at least the ones I have are) but she's not *hard* like Sky Rocket or Party Time can get. You can still squeeze her middle and legs.
I was just wondering because if i'm remembering correctly other members said their ponies got like rock hard after using peroxide on them, but I don't know what strength they were using or how long they left it on.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 03:11:07 PM »
I didn't use peroxide on her. She was plain sun faded.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Dyzarktarzk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 04:41:43 PM »

I'll see what I can do.

Glitter symbols?  Nope, or maybe I haven't had a problem because cotton swabs with peroxide and gently passing them over does not take out the symbol XD  (yeah... I was completely forgeting poor abandoned Skyflier that I started to clean with peroxide and then abandoned him...  *hides from poor Skyflier*)

Offline DevlishSmooch

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 05:04:23 PM »
This is an awesome idea!  I have a bunch of ponies that need fading, but I don't know if I have the time to do anything with them right now...

My Customs   WANTED: Non-discolored MO Scribbles (an even, creamy white would do)/MOC Bubbles!     DS Ref Sheet

nsunshine

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 12:00:07 AM »
something I will have to try...guess I never heard of it!!

Offline Rhini

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 07:18:11 AM »
I didn't use peroxide on her. She was plain sun faded.
XD You're right I mis-read. Whoops! Man that is some powerful sun you've got there if you can do that in 3 days o_O

Maybe I should bring ponies to sundfade in my hotel room while I'm down there for the fair :P

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 11:54:48 AM »
Babystarz, good on you for mentioning sample size. Originally I'd thought to just do it myself, but this would be better. (Also, I didn't think quite so many people would be on board with the idea!)It might also be easier to have several people running the same 3-pony experiment at their own windows instead of one person with a dozen ponies. Differences in climate/latitude shouldn't be a problem since results don't have to be measured between windows, only between the 3 ponies on each window. This isn't going to be exact science, after all, just relative.

Great idea! I would definitely be up for testing a set of ponies :) I would need a bit of time to get 3 ponies that are the same color and in similar condition.

Dyzarktarzk

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 12:04:28 PM »
I have one in need of a real sunfading.  Need to sort through some ponies and experiment on them. 

hikari_amaya

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 07:29:42 AM »
Wow and they say ponies are for kids xP I believe theres science in them!! Trial and error :) I'll keep checking back I've a buggy that I neeed to clean up once I recieve it :)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 07:52:13 AM »
I love the science part of restoring ponies... I'll keep an eye on this thread!  :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Jenn77

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 02:59:26 PM »
 Well hopefully my question is too far of topic. Can a discolored Masquerade head (head darker than body) be lightened by any of these or different methods?
Calypso by~ Corona

Calypso by~ Brightberry

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
Well hopefully my question is too far of topic. Can a discolored Masquerade head (head darker than body) be lightened by any of these or different methods?

Yep! I would go with sunfading, as peroxide damages hair, twinkle eyes, and sometimes symbols. Yellow ponies also respond very well to sunfading. I've got a Munchy working on her marks myself :P  Sunfading is always possible for lightening.

I would suggest you tape her whole body up with painter's tape, up to the neck seam. Get the edges of the tape in between the two parts, so that it doesn't go over the neck seam onto the part you want to fade. Don't be afraid to double or triple layer the tape, the goal is to not let any light reach the pony's body through cracks. Then carefully rip little pieces of painter's tape off the roll to cover her eyes and individual eyelashes. Then, cover her hair with tinfoil (tail too) up to the roots. I also add painter's tape to the roots to make sure no light gets in, and the foil stays flush against the pony. Just be careful to only put the very edge of the tape on the pony's neck - you don't want to end up with an unfaded line! The tail, just foil up then tape it to the body.

After you're finished with the prep, put her in a sunny window. Check her every day, even if a particular day isn't sunny - she will still fade a bit on a cloudy day. Flip her so her other side faces the sun every 5-7 days, making sure that her foiled hair isn't casting a shadow (again, you don't want an unfaded line).

Depending on where you live and weather conditions, she could take as little as two weeks or as long as a couple of months to fade back to the same color as her body. Since you're in Kentucky and summer is starting, I doubt it'll take longer than a month. Just be sure to check her every day, so you don't have the opposite problem (darker body, lighter head). All you need to do to check is peel back the tape below her neck seam a little and compare, then put the tape back (painter's tape re-tapes pretty well!) Also make sure the tape isn't lifting off from the eyes - I find I usually need to pat it down because the curve of the eyes makes the tape slightly uncooperative.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal