collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Animation cels  (Read 3928 times)

Betelgeuse

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Animation cels
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 01:53:42 PM »
I would professionally frame them. Most professionals understand how to preserve animation cells.
I don't want to be push but... pics?

This si true... but I can tell you from experience (IE working there)... MOST Michael's framing dept (or for that matter... Hobby Lobby or Joann's...) employees have NO IDEA how to handle animation cels.

They are SUPPOSED to use gloves... this doesn't always happen... And you don't want the oils from human skin on the cels themselves...

They are SUPPOSED to frame everything, in a manner that does not alter the item itself. IE: NO TAPE.

And never... EVER use tape of ANY KIND on an animation cel... tape is irreversable.... trying to take it off at some point... will either leave residue... or it will be left on the cel itself.

Very carefully research ANY framing shop you take them to.

Ask them how they handle the artwork... and be sure to ASK them to be sure to use gloves. Tell them how sensitive animation cels are to the oils on skin.

Also be sure to get as close to 100% U/V protectant glass/fiberglass as possible. If you don't... you run the risk of your cel fading over time. Trust me. I live in Arizona... ANYTHIng you hang on the walls in your house... even if it barely get ANY sunlight... WILL FADE eventually... if your glass isn't U/V protected.

Michaels has three types of class... Regular glass (no reflection reduction... but it's still U/V protected), Non glare (I, personally, HATE the stuff. It's fogged chemically, to reduce the glare, and it often subtly changes the colors in your piece.), and the best stuff... Masterpiece.

Masterpiece glass... is AWESOME...  but also expensive. It'sreally just a step down from museum quality glass. It has glare reduction... without being foggy. When you put it over your artwork... it all but disappears... it's REALLY hard to see it... OMG it's wonderful stuff. If I could, every framed bit of artwork in my house would be reframed with this stuff. ;)

As I said... it's expensive.

BUT... for framing animation cels... I would suggest nothing less. ;)

Anywho... be careful what michaels/joanns you take your pieces too...

OH! And most importantly...

NEVER... EVER take ANYTHING to be framed at Hobby Lobby... PERIOD! I can't TELL you how many pieces they ruined... that I then had to find some way to fix... in my time at Michaels. I just do not approve of their presevation methods AT ALL...

Ok... hope that helps! :good:
I literally had no idea! I could have died if I would have heeded my own advice if I ever obtained a cell. It irks me professional framers would not frame properly. Definitely not letting someone else touch my art and certificates now.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 06:36:16 PM »
I would professionally frame them. Most professionals understand how to preserve animation cells.

This si true... but I can tell you from experience (IE working there)... MOST Michael's framing dept (or for that matter... Hobby Lobby or Joann's...) employees have NO IDEA how to handle animation cels.

They are SUPPOSED to use gloves... this doesn't always happen... And you don't want the oils from human skin on the cels themselves...

They are SUPPOSED to frame everything, in a manner that does not alter the item itself. IE: NO TAPE.

And never... EVER use tape of ANY KIND on an animation cel... tape is irreversable.... trying to take it off at some point... will either leave residue... or it will be left on the cel itself.

Ask them how they handle the artwork... and be sure to ASK them to be sure to use gloves. Tell them how sensitive animation cels are to the oils on skin.

Also be sure to get as close to 100% U/V protectant glass/fiberglass as possible. If you don't... you run the risk of your cel fading over time. Trust me. I live in Arizona... ANYTHIng you hang on the walls in your house... even if it barely get ANY sunlight... WILL FADE eventually... if your glass isn't U/V protected.

Michaels has three types of class... Regular glass (no reflection reduction... but it's still U/V protected), Non glare (I, personally, HATE the stuff. It's fogged chemically, to reduce the glare, and it often subtly changes the colors in your piece.), and the best stuff... Masterpiece.

Masterpiece glass... is AWESOME...  but also expensive. It'sreally just a step down from museum quality glass. It has glare reduction... without being foggy. When you put it over your artwork... it all but disappears... it's REALLY hard to see it... OMG it's wonderful stuff. If I could, every framed bit of artwork in my house would be reframed with this stuff. ;)

NEVER... EVER take ANYTHING to be framed at Hobby Lobby... PERIOD! I can't TELL you how many pieces they ruined... that I then had to find some way to fix... in my time at Michaels. I just do not approve of their presevation methods AT ALL...

I literally had no idea! I could have died if I would have heeded my own advice if I ever obtained a cell. It irks me professional framers would not frame properly. Definitely not letting someone else touch my art and certificates now.

Those AREN'T professionals.  Take it to an art gallery!
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Betelgeuse

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 08:54:23 PM »

Those AREN'T professionals.  Take it to an art gallery!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal