collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Week of April 13: COVID-19 info, facts & updates  (Read 6256 times)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Week of April 13: COVID-19 info, facts & updates
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2020, 06:53:21 AM »
Well, the bad area within Michigan is Detroit-- as that is one of the worst hotspots. So I'd say whatever they spread within the protest, won't overload the hospitals since other areas aren't really hit as hard.

CNN mentioned protests in Ohio as well, I remember something about Ohio's governor being very fast with shut down measures at the start which I guess would contribute.

I think it's a dangerous assumption that a protest in an apparently low risk area can't create a bigger issue.

I didn't say "low risk area". There are places with fewer confirmed cases.

While some of those 100s of people might of gotten infected, and might infect others, the rest of Michigan is responsible and sheltering in place. I don't believe it will create an uncontrollable surge.

All I was saying is the hospitals in other areas of Michigan have very few patients, and would be able to handle them without being overwhelmed.

I know Ohio is planning to baby step into reopening May 1. I believe other states are probably planning the same. There is a balance between health and economy.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2020, 07:24:17 AM »
Münster has just 131 documented infected people today ( april 17) and that is quite good for a city with about  300.000 people. ^^

Merkel explained about the situation. that it is "fragile" and that we can slowly lift the quarantine, but have to be carefull and still take it seriously.
https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/16/angela-merkel-explains-coronavirus-infection-risk-anyone-can-understand-12566585/

where i live, some people sitting outside again talking to neigbours and kids play around. Shopping for groceries is tense for workers and shoppers. The cashiers are stressed but said that they get free chocolate and other things every day! :D
We all appreciate them a lot!

next week some more places like malls shall open again, i am curious to see how it will be!

my current question is more what is okay and what is to much? I want to be prepared and keep everybody safe, but it is difficult to see what is the right way now. (to open shop, to wears masks or not and so on)
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2020, 09:20:47 AM »
Well, the bad area within Michigan is Detroit-- as that is one of the worst hotspots. So I'd say whatever they spread within the protest, won't overload the hospitals since other areas aren't really hit as hard.

A lot of those people were from rural Michigan, who traveled to the city to protest.  And now they're returning to their rural homes, potentially bringing the virus back with them.

Absolutely irresponsible.  Yeah, it's scary to be out of work and see the economy tanking.  But the economy can be rebuilt and you can get another job.  You can't get another life.  Your elderly mother can't get another life.  The grocery workers can't get another life.  The health care workers can't get another life.  The bus drivers can't get another life.  It's not just their own lives that they're risking.  They are selfish.  And I do not have any sympathy or patience for that.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2020, 09:36:12 AM »
I don't disagree that it's irresponsible. I don't disagree that it's going to cause some deaths. I'm just stating it's not going to overwhelm hospitals. Even the rural ones.

Because the thing is, let's be honest, not everyone is adhering to social distancing. Most of these protesters aren't. I don't find this different then people gathering in large churches. Or people having parties with their friends. The reality is there is no strict social gathering rules set in place with punishment, or whatever.

I think any jump in 2 weeks is more likely to be family gatherings for easter then a protest with a few 100 people.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 09:40:34 AM by banditpony »

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2020, 10:21:26 AM »
I can understand why people in Michigan are upset if what I'm hearing is true. There is a point the government can go to far and do stupid things that make absolutely no sense. Regardless of the virus, so I'm not going to call these people irresponsible because there is a certain point where these rules are arbitrary and at the very basic level stupid. I get that the government is trying to protect people, but at some point not all the rules the government makes are smart/helpful or useful.

People in Virginia are starting to balk at some of these rules as well. I just don't believe the government has all the answers or always makes the best rules about this kind of stuff.

And I'd also like to add that for some people their job isn't just a job, it is a big part of their life. So telling someone who actually run's their own business...Oh well, you can just get another job...meh, that does boarderline tick me off and make me rage flip tables. For some people their job is more than just a 9 to 5 and it's something that is part of them.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 10:30:28 AM by KarentheUnicorn »
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2020, 11:51:28 AM »
I don't have new numbers for my county today but the gov held a press conference earlier today and issued several executive orders.

Schools are closed until the start of next school year. Students will do distance learning to finish. Teachers, admins and staff can enter the building to clean out their rooms for summer.

State parks will reopen next weekend. Facial coverings must be worn at all times to enter/be in the park.  No more than 5 can be gathered together unless they are a family unit.

Non essential businesses can reopen next weekend if there're able to do buy online, curbside pickup or delivery.

Non essential surgeries can start again but will be done on a case by case basis.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2020, 12:42:03 PM »
Ohio is going to start loosening up it's stay at home order May 1. I guess we will know more details next week.

There's only been subtle hints of what the first parts of that will be. I believe the first one will be within the hospitals-- regarding procedures that do not require heavy need of PPE. Like a mammogram, or colonoscopy, or children's vaccines.

No word on schools. So I could see it going both ways... The governor has been tight lipped on the issue, but our house rep has mentioned those with special needs who get therapies through the school.
Nope. Distant learning for remainder of school year. Potential distant learning for fall as well, it will depending on severity and district. Might be half and half too. I'm happy he's trying to address kids with special needs, and those with health challenges..

And I don't know if non-essential businesses will be opening, but if they do, then they must adhere to the strict social distancing rules that are in place already for our essential business otherwise people can call them out and the health boards will check it out.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:20:12 AM by banditpony »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2020, 08:40:35 AM »
UK update 18th April.

Deaths not pretty but numbers stable, we've been told from the start it will be the last thing to change. The diagram of statistics show we are almost exactly tracking Italy, which makes sense given we have the same rough size of population. But we're still waiting on some lagged and unconfirmed cases in carehomes etc.
Spoiler

Hospital admissions down across the country by 5%, including in peak areas London and for me, most critically, here in the midlands.
Spoiler

A note on why this slide says Great Britain and the others say UK - Great Britain excludes Northern Ireland, whose hospital admission data for some reason is not on the map...maybe because it remains low, NI only has around 1.5 million people.

Cases stable too, but increasing numbers of health care workers testing positive now so still an issue there which may or may not relate to more of them being tested.
Spoiler

Orange being NHS/frontline worker tests, blue being hospital admission and other confirmed tests, most of which are not mild community cases.

Government have mandated that as well as people being able to say goodbye to dying loved ones, they will also be allowed to attend funerals and visit graves so long as social distancing is observed.

99 year old Captain Tom has now raised over £20 million for the NHS and is a national hero. People are petitioning for him to be knighted.

On a personal note...

Mum got her letter the other day confirming she is extremely high risk, which she is still getting her head around. Yesterday the doctor phoned and spoke to her and explained why she's high risk, which when she told me I was like, Mum, Naynie and I know that, that's why we're both on your case about it. Doctor told her that all of the things I've been insisting on, even the ones she thinks unreasonable, are entirely right. She's resisting me less now, it's much nicer. We're still trying to get slots but the doctor thinks we should find it easier over the next week because she's now on the list. We'll see.

Raining in the UK today. No gardening.

UK lockdown will officially be reviewed again on May 7th but scientists originally said they thought we'd need 13 weeks. Also talk of community testing returning which we very much want to see.

Meantime, Oxford University say they have a vaccine they believe can be available in September. They were involved in the MERS vaccine so everyone is waiting to see what happens in their trials.

PPE remains an ongoing issue, as does spread in care homes, just like everywhere else in the world.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 01:16:18 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2020, 10:19:46 AM »
In Canada, we are having massive increases in the number of cases in the long-term care homes - that is to be expected sadly.  The care workers have always been asked to work at multiple facilities and obviously the health ministers just realized that they are causing community spread.  Sorry not trying to be sarcastic, it's just that this particular branch of healthcare always gets the short end of the stick.  Their job is hard enough but the cost-savings that has been proliferated through the system based on their sacrifices is insane.  I think those who have to change adult diapers, give baths and put up with dementia "tantrums" are just as valuable as the doctor who sews you back together in the ER.  Alas... not my decision!

Also though, the leadership of many essential businesses DID NOT put any distancing measures in the workplace, nor PPE, so now we are having skyrocketing numbers in the food production supply and the energy sector. 

"there are 207 cases in the town of High River, while 358 cases are linked specifically to Cargill Meat Solutions and involve people and households outside High River. "
So Cargill processes 55% of Canadian beef.  They hire temporary foreign workers and jam them into dormitory-style housing.  Obviously you can't wear PPE while slaughtering - it's already too cramped and hot in the facility, with a million ways to get hurt or get caught on something.  trying to space out the huge machinery won't work, asking less production also wasn't an option. 

I hear helicopters about 4x a day patrolling and whatnot, but there is virtually silence outside because so few people are driving.  You can get to places in like, 10 minutes on our expressway where it normally should take you ~20.  It's rather eerie!  We have not heard aircraft traffic in weeks, aside from the few flights that are still bringing Canadians back home - most of the other airports are closed but YYC is open with only like, 2 terminals.

Grocery stores and pharmacies are a game of roulette when you go - empty shelves, customers who get too close, people who are sick and still going out! 

DH and I are high risk, so we have done our best to avoid humans.  I have been fighting *something* in my lungs since January but I didn't get a chance to take off work and go to the doctor and now, they are only doing video and email appointments so it's tricky.  I hope they give me steroids - I know how to handle taking those as I usually have to do so at least once a year.  I got lucky a few years in a row and not needing any, but this winter has been awful. 

Though they are reporting nationally that we have "flattened the curve", I don't think it's because of the Canadian people doing what was asked of them.  I think it's really because of the mandated work closures.  All sorts of people I know are still finding ways to meet up and socialize.  INSANE.  In the initial first days of school closures, one of my friends who works at TRU said that all day long, people were bringing their families and children inside to touch everything and shop, because what else were they going to do, with school closed?  Shortly after that, TRU closed and they are only doing online click-and-collect orders.  But really?!  School is closed because of an infectious, deadly disease, and parents are like, "Oh we should go meander through our community businesses!"  Stay the *beep* home and binge some Netflix.  Your child will not suffer because they watched TV during this crisis.  Okay rant over. :D
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2020, 01:05:08 PM »
It's still messy in Florida.

25,269 cases & 740 deaths. The death toll is lessening by day but positive cases are about the same. 248,412 tests have been done so far, they're holding steady at about 10.5 percent positive. Every county has confirmed cases. 135 in mine.

Beaches are to reopen in Jacksonville, the third hardest hit area. Boat docks have already been reopened in Sarasota. There is talk of opening school May 1st so the kids can have at least a few weeks of "normalcy".

It's just... a bad scene. DeSantis waited way too long to really do something and as soon as he does, he follows in Trump's footsteps about reopening things. He's really just a puppet.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2020, 02:50:28 PM »
Münster has just 131 documented infected people today ( april 17) and that is quite good for a city with about  300.000 people. ^^

Merkel explained about the situation. that it is "fragile" and that we can slowly lift the quarantine, but have to be carefull and still take it seriously.
https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/16/angela-merkel-explains-coronavirus-infection-risk-anyone-can-understand-12566585/

where i live, some people sitting outside again talking to neigbours and kids play around. Shopping for groceries is tense for workers and shoppers. The cashiers are stressed but said that they get free chocolate and other things every day! :D
We all appreciate them a lot!

next week some more places like malls shall open again, i am curious to see how it will be!

my current question is more what is okay and what is to much? I want to be prepared and keep everybody safe, but it is difficult to see what is the right way now. (to open shop, to wears masks or not and so on)

Anna, Germany seem to be doing an amazing job! You guys always seem to get it right...smuggle me over a German passport somehow? XD

My school's technology department has been making PPE equipment for local hospitals and has been on the news. I am in work on Monday (we are taking it in turns to go in and look after key worker children). I am actually excited to go in!

Also, I found  2 bags of flour yesterday when out shopping (at a petrol station of all places), so I was really happy with that as it has sold out everywhere! I managed to make my naan breads for my tea and banana bread this week is ON!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2020, 02:59:33 PM »
Yeah, flour is another insanely hard thing to get at the moment. My only explanation is that half the country have taken up baking at the other half's expense, since eggs are also hard to get.

Good luck with your teaching rotation, Noasar! It's rough on those kids to have to spend their Easter break at school.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2020, 05:02:22 AM »
Yeah, flour is another insanely hard thing to get at the moment. My only explanation is that half the country have taken up baking at the other half's expense, since eggs are also hard to get.

Good luck with your teaching rotation, Noasar! It's rough on those kids to have to spend their Easter break at school.

Thanks. I think the kids are quite enjoying being in as it means they can see them some of their friends.

Eggs haven’t been a problem as I have pet chickens. We’ve been giving a lot away to neighbours - we are really thankful for them!

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2020, 06:14:29 AM »
Our new death figure is 3684. Amongst them the first teenager. It seems that less people are being admitted in ic.

It pisses me off that people still don't know what social distancing and not to gather around. The past few days groups got 390 euros per person for breaking the rules. Tuesday there is a new press conference and I am not surprised if all current rules are being extended.

Amsterdam (Gay) Pride has been cancelled which was supposed to be the end of July. And I am sure more large events will follow because its going to be way too crowded.
The evening of 4th May where we remember those who have fallen during war is without public and the day after they won't be a huge celebration. This when we have been free from war for 75 years now.
And my favourite day of the year Kings Day has to be celebrated differently than we are used to. At home with singing and music. And no fleamarkets. Maybe something digital but thats not the basic idea of this day for a pony collector.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2020, 07:06:59 AM »
I am not really sure what to read into the UK stats since the daily figure and the graph of cases by specimen test date are not actually the same. I guess there's a testing bottleneck that takes some time for results to come through but there's a problem with the idea that yesterday 5000ish cases were added while the official case/by/test dates suggest thus far they only have 148 results. I want to see some proper graphs of figures by date of case and date of death, not when-tests-came-through. That might tell us where we actually stand.

One final note on today's stats, the North West went up in a mad spike for hospital admissions today. Two weeks ago the police had to shut down a very large numbers of house parties in Manchester and surrounds. I can only think that this is the reason :/ For the first time since the pandemic began, the North West have jumped above the Midlands in terms of admissions. We're still going down.

KCL's covid tracker app suggests that the spread of the virus has dropped here by 70% because of lockdown and most areas now have less than 2% symptomatic people. But there are caveats to that as those are based on data not testing, and don't include care homes or many older people.

Right now my administrative borough has 150 confirmed cases. We have one hospital in the borough, but the death stats are combined with the wider county (the other acute hospital and the community hospitals) because of a shared medical trust, current deaths for the whole wider county area 63.

The PPE debate rages on.

I am no fan of this govt but I do wish the media would leave their "what was done wrong" attacks till the whole thing is over and we can see exactly all of the things that went wrong, because even if things did go wrong, preventing ministers from dealing with the wrong by taking up their time demanding justifications for months long since past seems impractical. Take them apart at the end. Not right now. Right now let them get more PPE, look at vaccines and support people's jobs. Plenty of time for a political barbeque once people's lives are saved.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 08:47:39 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal