collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Living in New Zealand?  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Tigerlilyx

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • ♫ Portugal - Walk The Moon
    • View Profile
Living in New Zealand?
« on: September 13, 2015, 10:20:56 AM »
I have serious thoughts of joining a Work Exchange Programme for undergraduates who are graduating soon. Never been to NZ before so I have no clue of what to expect or prepare myself for :lookround: Are living costs affordable? How are the communities like? I have a lot of worries just thinking about being far away from home and leaving everything i'm familiar with behind.

I only wish to stay there temporarily (maybe 6 months to a year?) just to gain industry experience.

The NZ govt website has a lot of information about it with plenty of enticing ads, but coming from a Marketing/PR background I know most ads aren't erm.. 100% truthful about things  :P. Especially with NZ's recent immigration call for new citizens from my country specifically; I wish to be extra careful with everything I read on the net. I rather hear it from those living there themselves!  :)

Does anyone have any tips or advice? I'll be ever so grateful <3

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Living in New Zealand?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 03:31:51 PM »
Not a clue but it sure sounds exciting!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline pony_magick

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 08:52:02 PM »
It all depends on which part of the country you're going to live in, North or South Island, and then town/city. North and South Island are really different but I can only tell you about the South.
I am a Dreamer/So a Believer

My want list.

Offline Tigerlilyx

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 09:15:32 PM »
It all depends on which part of the country you're going to live in, North or South Island, and then town/city. North and South Island are really different but I can only tell you about the South.

Hmm.. the company i'm hoping to work for is based in Auckland, but that depends if it works out with them. How's the South like?  :)

Offline Tiggums6

• Valkyrie of the Victory
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 05:38:13 AM »
you need to talk to Loa :)
Remember kids....don't drink and ebay...

Offline melodys_angel

• Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 10:03:45 AM »
I was going to say, Loa should beable to help you out :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

flyawayraven

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 02:41:52 PM »
What is the best way to summon the penguin goddess?

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 05:29:25 PM »
You must make a sacrificial offering to the penguin goddess.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 02:19:19 AM »
Greetings!
It is I! Loa!

Anyway, if your English is good, you'll be welcomed with open arms. That's not to be racist, but as the largest Polynesian City in the world, we have a lot of English that borrows from Maori/Samoan/Tongan etc. It's kinda hard to get your head around if you're learning English too.
Example: Tiggums, you Palangi, lets go feed our pukus with Kai, like Kumara. Sweet!

We love Singaporean's here, and there are a lot of Singaporean's here too! You're welcome to PM me about visa's/flights etc. :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 02:25:32 AM by Loa »

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Tigerlilyx

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 04:24:34 AM »
Greetings!
It is I! Loa!

Anyway, if your English is good, you'll be welcomed with open arms. That's not to be racist, but as the largest Polynesian City in the world, we have a lot of English that borrows from Maori/Samoan/Tongan etc. It's kinda hard to get your head around if you're learning English too.
Example: Tiggums, you Palangi, lets go feed our pukus with Kai, like Kumara. Sweet!

We love Singaporean's here, and there are a lot of Singaporean's here too! You're welcome to PM me about visa's/flights etc. :)

Thanks for the heads up Loa  :bateyes:

That's good news! Besides English the only other languages i'm fluent in are Malay and Arabic so I would adapt better in a working English-oriented environment. I'll definitely PM you after I sort things out with the prospective company xo
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 04:40:56 AM by Tigerlilyx »

Offline Tiggums6

• Valkyrie of the Victory
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 07:41:14 PM »
Palangi. crikey.
Remember kids....don't drink and ebay...

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 01:30:27 AM »

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 02:23:37 PM »
Auckland is hugely multicultural, a giant melting pot, really. Particularly in the city and you'll find (probably as with other areas) some ethnicities tend to gravitate towards particular suburbs. I think however that tendency is more applicable to families who come and settle though and who are looking for some familiarity in a new place.

The city is lively and you'll find all you need - night life, the cafe/food scene, and if you are into markets eclectic ones are everywhere, from the rustic to the ones that sell stuff that fell off the back of a truck. There are even night markets which are proving popular, which are largely food driven and cater to all tastes and cultures, which is a great part of the appeal. Aucklanders love food.  Suburbs can easily live within suburbs though, as most areas tend to have their own mall/shopping centers, a lot of which will cater for everything from food, medical, clothing, entertainment and even industrial needs. I am not a city goer myself and hardly ever go into the city unless I have to, so there's an example of not relying on it.

Auckland is large though - a very spread out city, so transport (and traffic is a huge bane throughout Auckland) to your potential work could be a great motivation in where you choose to live, and on that subject, Auckland is not cheap, so be prepared for that. Closer to the city = rentals being way more expensive, and living costs (comparative to other parts of the country) are dearer too, overall. On the flipside, you might find the average salary better though, particularly in the corporate world.

Some areas are definitely swisher/more hip than others, and some areas you wouldn't want to leave your car unlocked. But that goes for any city. Common sense prevails in all places/situations.

The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head of potential interest is that Auckland is also a very scenic place (in places!). You need not travel far to reach beaches or recreational reserves/parks, and like most cities I guess, we have all the usual tourist/historic attractions - museums, a fantastic zoo, art gallerys, and many a great view from the numerous volcanic (almost all dormant!) tops.

Good luck, and enjoy.

Offline Sea_Breeze

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 02:20:34 AM »
Compared to Singapore Auckland has absolutely nothing on transport. I lived in Singapore for 2 months near Ten Mile. Transport over there is amazinglying efficient. Be prepared to pay a price to save you travel time in Auckland.

If it helps at all I had some of the most incredible times of my life out of my comfort zone :)
Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears - anonymous

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal