collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Teaching English in Japan?  (Read 2367 times)

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching English in Japan?
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2014, 12:57:46 PM »
June - Almost all of the companies want native english speakers but there was one company that would take non native speakers if certain requirements were met but I forget which company it was. I think it was either Aeon OR Interac. Aeon is an English conversation school but Interac places you into actual Japanese elementary or JR/SR high schools and is the closest to the JET program.

What is your native language? Sometimes there are postings looking for other language teachers at gaijinpot.com but almost all require native english speakers and you need at least a bacherlors degree for visa sponsorship

Thank you for the info :)

Erm, Croatian is my native language... not really popular lol :lol:
I do have As level English diploma from Cambridge International Examinations. I'm not sure if that's worth anything since I've never seen this kind of certificate as a requirement :shrug:

Offline Sumire

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2014, 01:02:29 PM »
I though I was gonna go with the canadian one cause its cheaper but with the American one, I can get actual teaching experience via an internship teaching online english lessons to students in Taiwan. I think its Taiwan. That might be worth the extra $40 right there. I know some countries are more specific and want the 120 hour course and won't accept online ones BUT Japan does not require TESOL Certification and I am only doing  it to get the methods and lesson planning skills I am lacking. I kinda would like to take the normal course with the added one for teaching young children or maybe how to teach business english but I think its overkill for what I want to do and its $400 instead of $300.

I think the internship might be worth it as well. Not only because you will get the methods and lesson planning skills but it will also give you good stories. Nothing says "I know what I'm doing" like being able to answer a question with, "I had a student with that problem once and..."  ^.^
If wishes were horses, they'd be My Little Ponies.
Thanks to moonflower for my adorable adoptable!

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2014, 04:13:03 PM »
Thank you for the info :)

Erm, Croatian is my native language... not really popular lol :lol:
I do have As level English diploma from Cambridge International Examinations. I'm not sure if that's worth anything since I've never seen this kind of certificate as a requirement :shrug:

I have no idea but it couldn't hurt to ask them.

i taught english for a small church in shukugawa. (right between kobe and osaka)
it is a two year commitment.
if you're still serious or interested. let me know and i can pass on your info to them.

Sure  ^.^ Wait. Was it volunteer work? I would need to get paid and they would need to be able to sponsor me for a visa..

I think the internship might be worth it as well. Not only because you will get the methods and lesson planning skills but it will also give you good stories. Nothing says "I know what I'm doing" like being able to answer a question with, "I had a student with that problem once and..."  ^.^
Yeah, thats what I was thinking
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal