collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Favorite Spin-off/Side line?

Dream Beauties
7 (25.9%)
Petites
7 (25.9%)
Takaras
7 (25.9%)
Crossovers
1 (3.7%)
Blind Bags
5 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Favorite MLP Spin-off/Side Line?  (Read 357 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Favorite MLP Spin-off/Side Line?
« on: March 23, 2024, 10:43:57 AM »
This is to get an idea of the most popular spin-off/side line toys. I'm not counting World's Smallest, Tiny Tins, Loyal Subjects, stuffed toys, Minis, or Dollymix because they're all ponies we've seen before.  I'm not counting the Fair and Con Exclusives, because they weren't available to purchase in stores for the general public.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 11:26:12 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite MLP Spin-off/Side Line?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2024, 10:58:16 AM »
I love tiny ponies so I am going to say Petites.  I wasn’t too interested when they were available in stores, but I adore them now.

I also like blindbag G4 ponies.  There are so many different ones, it’s fun to arrange them.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2024, 11:17:35 AM »
I hafta go with the Dream Beauties. They're so wonderful,  and remind me a lot of Fashion Star Fillies.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2024, 11:25:12 AM »
Petites! They're so cute :)

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 03:45:16 PM »
Definitely Petites!

That would be a hit today i'm sure; perfect blind bag sized, and the small playsets wouldn't break the bank :-)

Dream Beauties was a nice concept, but the execution was lacking. The hard plastic is no fun, and the wings were just tacked on.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 03:47:33 PM by DreamvalleyMLP »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 03:51:05 PM »
Definitely Petites!

That would be a hit today i'm sure; perfect blind bag sized, and the small playsets wouldn't break the bank :-)

Dream Beauties was a nice concept, but the execution was lacking. The hard plastic is no fun, and the wings were just tacked on.

*Looks over at my collection of Grand Champions and Breyers.*

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2024, 04:02:49 PM »
I chose Dream Beauties because we didn't have them here, and as a kid I always loved the look of FSF but never had any ;) I like the petites too, but the more adventurous ones in the range didn't get much traction in this area.

I'm not really interested in the spinoffs for later generations although I do unashamedly like EQG, largely because the animation is better than FIM (gasp, waits for the rotten fruit) because even though the plot is basically exactly the same in every episode, Sunset Shimmer has character development and so does Twilight Sparkle. Something I never saw in any episode of FIM I watched, ever.

I really don't like the Takara ponies. They look like dressed up Moomins. Though I do wish I'd found them on Yahoo auctions sooner, as they would've paid for my MA xD.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2024, 07:40:19 PM »
Petites win out of your choices, but I also have to give a shout out to the Dollymix Ponies & the G3 Ponyville Ponies.
I prefer all these to the G4 Blind bags because they were offshoots rather than the main focus (G4 made more Blind Bags than brushables & that STILL irks me!!!), they have their charm, their accessories were great (Ponyville & Petites), there was still brushable parts (Petites & Dollymix), & the playsets are adorable!!! I have 2 Petite houses & several Ponyville buildings. I do love the miniature worlds you can build with each too!!!
Dream Beauties were too few & no unicorns, plus that hard plastic!!! If I wanted that I'd have stuck to Sindy horses!!!
Takaras, well, maybe I'd have got if I'd seen when I was younger, & my HQG1C Nippons are cute, but tbh I want my Ponies to be, well, Ponies. And Takaras are a bit too anthro for my taste. I went to Ponies as I grew bored with dolls.
Crossovers, meh. That moulded hair!!! Like, I get moulded manes on Petites & moulded hair on Ponyvilles & Blind Bags, as when you're dealing wi Ponies that small, the hair tends to stick up or look far too long (works on the Petite tails but wouldn't on their manes). But Crossovers are big enough to have brushable hair so why not??? The only crossover I own is Peggy Mane, as she's the only one for whom moulded hair makes sense (Lite Brite-esque moulded hair). If the Dungeons & Ponies set had brushable hair I'd have nabbed so quickly!!! Same with Right Hoof Red. Oh well, future Customs here we come...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 07:46:28 PM by Ponybookworm »
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2024, 02:03:53 AM »
I chose Dream Beauties because we didn't have them here, and as a kid I always loved the look of FSF but never had any ;)

I chose Dream Beauties too, and partly for these reasons. I would've LOVED them, had I known about their existence as a child. :D  Some of my friends had FSF and I found them beautiful. I was also a lot into realistic horse toys and Barbie horses.

I have some petites I received along with a bunch of other ponies and accessories from a friend's childhood collection. They're cute and I'm going to keep them, but I don't have any emotional connection to them really, as they weren't part of my childhood. (Then again, they remind me of Polly Pockets, which were something that I loved as a kid, they were so tiny and fun! Maybe I would've liked the Petites, too.)

I have a small collection of G4 Blind Bags, I like the concept and the versatility, and they gave me something to buy when there weren't any interesting new brushables available, or when I didn't feel like spending a lot of money. But I still would've preferred full-sized versions of many of these characters  ;)

I adore Takaras but they're so different that I don't really associate them with MLP at all. I'll never have the means to collect them but I admire them online.

The Crossovers... Meh. Well the concept is fun but I've come to realise that I'm very picky when it comes to the mould. It needs to be balanced and the face needs to be cute (sidenote, G5 toys fail to meet both criteria and that's why I don't like them, haha - I understand that cute is subjective, though). With the crossovers I think it's the way their eyes are positioned, there's something that bothers me about them.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2024, 05:20:58 AM »
I like blind bags the best. My very first pony was a blind bag g4 misty fly wonderbolt.

I started collecting the g4 blind bag wave 9 that was available then. Still love them all.

Still love blind bags, even non pony ones.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2024, 08:49:20 AM »
Out of the ones listed in the poll? Blind bags, though I'd definitely have voted for G3 Ponyvilles and/or Equestria Girls if they'd been options ^^ I loved Equestria Girls, and Ponyvilles were such fun! I really need to get back to collecting those.

I love the G4 blind bags (not too crazy about the blind bag concept in general, but the MLP ones were cheap + had codes/windows so I didn't mind them), I just wish they'd used even a little of the creativity displayed in the blind bags, for the brushable line... the only thing I don't like about them is how much they took over G4 as a whole. :/ Well, that and the silly practice of splitting the waves in two for the UK after a while, that was ridiculous... took us forever to get the second half of the wave, and they'd always end up clogging up the shelves for months... never did see the last few waves because everywhere near me was still overrun with the damn Halloween blind bags >_<+++ but apart from that, I loved the G4 blind bags - heck, I was just updating my wishlist for the ones I'm missing the other day- so they get my vote :>

Petites are a bit too small and fiddly for my taste... I like small things in general, but maybe not THAT small. Takaras just aren't my thing. And I've never cared for more realistic horse toys (colours aside :p) so Dream Beauties are out. I don't mind the Crossovers, I still want to get the Lite Brite pony, I just wish their faces hadn't been so... melty...

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2024, 11:35:24 AM »
I really don't like the Takara ponies. They look like dressed up Moomins. Though I do wish I'd found them on Yahoo auctions sooner, as they would've paid for my MA xD.

I had not considered that.  Now that makes them even CUTER, in my opinion XD
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2024, 11:56:49 AM »
Haha you're right Taf, they do look kinda like Moomins. :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal