Pony Talk > Pony Corral

Opinion on unicorn horns?

<< < (4/6) > >>

Taffeta:
Kirin aren't really unicorns though, at least not in the western understanding of what a unicorn is (the word kirin can be used for unicorn but it's also used for giraffe, so...yeah...let's not even go there). In any case, I am not quite sure how I see them, but I don't see them as a unicorn - more related to a deer than a horse? Maybe that's just the Japanese though, but it does feel that way (which would be more of an antler maybe than a horn...possibly?)

Personally, I've never thought about this before. I don't think I've a massive strong feeling about it overall. I was always happy with G1 horns as they were. I like statues with long pointed unicorn horns. I'm not wild about fakies in general, so am not sure if the horn/hoof thing matters to me...

I agree that horns do not belong on every species just to make money. But narwhals are fine :)

starscout:

--- Quote from: Taffeta on October 26, 2021, 01:33:37 AM ---Kirin aren't really unicorns though, at least not in the western understanding of what a unicorn is (the word kirin can be used for unicorn but it's also used for giraffe, so...yeah...let's not even go there). In any case, I am not quite sure how I see them, but I don't see them as a unicorn - more related to a deer than a horse? Maybe that's just the Japanese though, but it does feel that way (which would be more of an antler maybe than a horn...possibly?)

--- End quote ---
IIRC, classical unicorns are closer to deer and goats than horses, so I can see kirins as the edgier cousin to unicorns.

Taffeta:

--- Quote from: starscout on October 26, 2021, 01:52:17 AM ---
--- Quote from: Taffeta on October 26, 2021, 01:33:37 AM ---Kirin aren't really unicorns though, at least not in the western understanding of what a unicorn is (the word kirin can be used for unicorn but it's also used for giraffe, so...yeah...let's not even go there). In any case, I am not quite sure how I see them, but I don't see them as a unicorn - more related to a deer than a horse? Maybe that's just the Japanese though, but it does feel that way (which would be more of an antler maybe than a horn...possibly?)

--- End quote ---
IIRC, classical unicorns are closer to deer and goats than horses, so I can see kirins as the edgier cousin to unicorns.

--- End quote ---

There is an old theory that a unicorn is actually a rhinoceros, so...:)

I guess I see your point, but for me they're distinctly different enough to not overlap. A kirin is a kirin to me, not really a deer and not a unicorn. Just a kirin.

But I'm not quite sure how the chinese (Qilin) is represented in general. The Japanese may have taken theirs closer to the deer because the deer is traditionally sacred in shintou, so I'm not sure if we're talking about two mythical creatures who have evolved from their roots or just one.

And the Japanese do use kirin to refer to a giraffe, which is definitely NOT a unicorn. :)

DreamsofUnicorn:
I actually did some research on kirin/qilin myths for a character and mlp got pretty close. Yes even the Nirik thing they had ties to spitting fire.

Artemesia's Garden:
I'm also a fan of the Last Unicorn and I think that they are the ideal unicorn for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version