collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Frizzy Curls, please help!  (Read 251 times)

DancingPhoenix

• Trade Count: (0)
Frizzy Curls, please help!
« on: March 20, 2013, 11:11:16 AM »
I used to be able to do lovely curls on ponies, and I'm really not sure what happened. Now it's just a frizzy mess! I have these cool curlers that are in all different sizes, so I thought I'd use them.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

For the smaller curls, as seen on the custom I still use the straw method.

Now except for the tail on Stripes it all turned into a Pinkie Pie styled frizz fest.

I suspect (with Stripes at least) that the way I put the hair around the curlers is how it stayed. So I would need to wrap the hair in a way that came down her side rather than up on top. Otherwise I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing wrong, but it's clearly something haha. Any tips or advice would be wonderful. I've been trying to finish this custom for way longer than it should be because of her darn hair (I already curled it once before all with the straw curls and it looked awful).

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Frizzy Curls, please help!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 11:19:59 AM »
With Stripes I think you are right. With the custom it looks like mine do when I accidentally pull the curl out the reverse of the way I should.... I'm not sure how to explain that better....

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Aednatia

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 11:25:53 AM »
have you tried misting them with watered down leave-in conditioner before you pull out the curl. but not enough to rewet them and lose the curl..  hold the spray bottle a little way away. also some people use flexible hair spray before pulling them out as well

and I agree with kaos, it looks like you might not be pulling them out right. Try removing the bobby pin then pull down on the straw so it slides while holding the hair? the last one looks fine on the fore lock and the stray hairs are ones that were to short to curl all the way to the ends or got curled wrong, if you look at the first picture you can see them already sticking out.

sorry just realized they were foam not all straws..

have you tried re -rapping them around your finger and twirling same direction as the curl was intended and then pulling your finger down, sliding them off?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:29:40 AM by Aednatia »

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 12:48:07 PM »
In my curling I take a chunk of paper towel and warp the ends. It helps catches some stray hairs and keeps a lot of the hair in place. I also curl the style. Meaning If I want the curls to fall on the display side of the pony I make sure to curl in that direction. I use plastic bands to keep it in place. I really should take pictures of some of my curl ponies:) I have finish product but not in process.
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 01:02:29 PM »
I've learned to hate that type of curler! They just don't seem to do well with pony hairstyles. I prefer the velcro-type curlers. Otherwise, sometimes I find I need to do a curly hair style twice with hot water to get the hair to want to cooperate and stay in place.

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 01:17:14 PM »
When I curl I always wet the hair, wrap the ends with end wraps, then curl. When removing the curlers I gently roll them out so I don't mess the hair.

I use these, each paper can be used multiple times.

DancingPhoenix

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 06:44:58 PM »
babystarz: velcro curlers? I don't think I've heard of those before, I'll have to look them up!

hanna: another thing I didn't know existed haha. I might have to use those when I curl my own hair!

And I did try unrolling the curls in my hands and brushing them with a fine toothed comb, then curling them back with my finger and that helped quite a bit. I think I will see if I can find something to use to help loosen the curls a little and maybe help them stay together a frizz less. All these tips are very helpful as well, if there are any more do let me know!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal