collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILER WARNING!)  (Read 5640 times)

Offline Deep Purple Crystal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • "Jewels! Jewels in your eyes!"
    • View Profile
Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILER WARNING!)
« on: December 18, 2015, 07:12:10 AM »
Since it opens today, I thought I ought to start a thread on this popular subject. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 10:16:41 AM by Deep Purple Crystal »

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to LordBlumiere and Corona for the amazing Masquerade and Baby Sugarcake in my sig!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 07:57:25 AM »
Not my thing, but you may want to put a spoiler warning in the title.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline MsMedley

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • "We’re all cast-aways in need of ropes"
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 08:41:04 AM »
Haven't seen it yet but I'm planning to! Was it as good as I've been hearing?
^.^ Check out my facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/KimberlysCommissions

Thank you to Dainty for my profile pic!!

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILER WARNING!)
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 10:37:31 AM »
I just came home from watching it and It was sooo good! I mean wow! In Sweden it premiered on wednesday so I've heard it would be better than 1-3 but I had not expected this! It felt like coming home! I got heartbroken when one of my favorite characters died and I lost a bit of the story while trying to cope and Kylo Ren whas badass untill he turned out to be just a brat.. The end seemed a bit rushed but I'll forgive it because the entire movie was ijust fantastic. It was worthy.

Offline Lore-Lei

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 01:08:58 PM »
I got heartbroken when one of my favorite characters died and I lost a bit of the story while trying to cope.
Was it by any chance
Spoiler
Han Solo?

Offline RandomPony

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 01:33:32 PM »
NOOOOO!!!!! Why Han Solo!?!?!?!?   

However though! At first thought I was like....When did Han Solo and Leia had a 4th kid??? And then I remembered something! Back when the older starwars.com was still 'around' yet, before all the updates and such...I remember reading about someone that was called Ben Organa, (possibly also Solo was also added just like Leia) and as I understand he was the son of Han and Leia that mysteriously came up missing! He and the other Solo children were trained as Jedi:  Jaina Solo,  Jacen Solo, and Anakin Solo.
:frolic:

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 02:09:44 PM »
I got heartbroken when one of my favorite characters died and I lost a bit of the story while trying to cope.
Was it by any chance
Spoiler
Han Solo?

Yes.

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 02:19:28 PM »
Spoiler

However though! At first thought I was like....When did Han Solo and Leia had a 4th kid??? And then I remembered something! Back when the older starwars.com was still 'around' yet, before all the updates and such...I remember reading about someone that was called Ben Organa, (possibly also Solo was also added just like Leia) and as I understand he was the son of Han and Leia that mysteriously came up missing! He and the other Solo children were trained as Jedi:  Jaina Solo,  Jacen Solo, and Anakin Solo.
i don't think any of the info is cannon any more though. so they might have only had one child.
Disney changed what is cannon. only the original 8 movies, clone wars, sw rebels and a handful of books are consider cannon. oh and the new marvel comics as well.
i haven't read all the new books, but i'm slowly chipping away at them.
i thought the movie was fantastic and i look forward to the others.
i won't say any more spoilers, but i will say that several of the new characters outed the original cast as some of my favorites. luke, you're still in the top 5, but you did get demoted. sorry.

Offline RandomPony

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 02:47:01 PM »
Spoiler

i don't think any of the info is cannon any more though. so they might have only had one child.
Disney changed what is cannon. only the original 8 movies, clone wars, sw rebels and a handful of books are consider cannon. oh and the new marvel comics as well.
i haven't read all the new books, but i'm slowly chipping away at them.
i thought the movie was fantastic and i look forward to the others.
i won't say any more spoilers, but i will say that several of the new characters outed the original cast as some of my favorites. luke, you're still in the top 5, but you did get demoted. sorry.

What! That's sucks!!!

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 02:56:30 PM »
that was the big upset when disney bought star wars, that they didn't keep all the non-lucas written stuff as cannon.
personally i'm used to this kind of thing with all the reboots they've had in comics over the years, and it makes sense. if they wanted to make movies it gives them alot more freedom if they don't have to follow what someone else wrote.

Offline RandomPony

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 02:58:48 PM »
that was the big upset when disney bought star wars, that they didn't keep all the non-lucas written stuff as cannon.
personally i'm used to this kind of thing with all the reboots they've had in comics over the years, and it makes sense. if they wanted to make movies it gives them alot more freedom if they don't have to follow what someone else wrote.

Yeah true! Its still a bummer though! But all well what can we do!

Post Merge: December 18, 2015, 03:28:34 PM

Oh ah! This just came to me! George Lucas's written script of Star Wars, including the books, Games, and stuff like that is still part of Star Wars right, even after Disney took over???? 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 03:28:34 PM by RandomPony »

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 03:41:44 PM »
I just adored it. Agreed with Beldarna that it felt like coming home, and like being a child again and becoming immersed in the world and invested in the characters. Big ol' post underneath, true spoilers are extra spoilered.

Spoiler
Leaving aside plot spoilers for the moment, the production was just light years ( ;) sorry) ahead of the prequels. It's a return to the classic movies with physical props, real locations, and awesome stunts. There are elements of CGI, obviously, but I don't think any of the locations were purely created like the prequels with their green rooms and green props and only the physical actor trying to play off of nothing.

A place gets destroyed and there's rubble and dust and choking confusion that the heroes have to battle through, Rey struggles through life in an actual desert where food and water are precious, an anxious Finn sweats and shakes and seems nauseous, on other planets the tree trunks get touched and leaves move and there's moss growing in the cracks, rocks and boulders are climbed on and cobblestones click under heel and snow gets piled up and scraped away in drifts and the sun sets and the rain lashes down and the wind whips the character's hair and clothes. Lightsaber fights are the best return to old, characters struggle and stumble and fall and roll and thrash and wail on each other and are hurt and cry out in a way that feels wonderfully unchoreographed and naturalistic for their age, experience and emotional state. All of the tiny little things that you wouldn't even notice or would take for granted in another film suddenly feel rich, meaningful, and give TFA a depth and a character that the clean, pretty, empty worlds of the prequel lacked. On-set physical-prop movies make my heart soar, and bless the production teams for doing their absolute best with this.

Some find it a flaw, but I love it - nearly everything in this is recognisable STAR WARS™ stuff. The ships, the locations, the structures, the people, the events, the backstories, the motivations and the actions are all continuous story beats from the original trilogy. What's added brand new feels organic and complete, like it was always meant to be there, and nothing jarred me out of my immersion for the full 2 hours. It's a little darker than the originals, a little bit more blood and violence for a PG film, but it strikes me that it's more an effect of modern day movies where we can get more detail visually due to CGI and prop advancements. The same kinds of thing happened before, but it was softened by being off screen or without sound effect or the classic sword-under-arm acting. Some of TFA shocked me so that I wanted to turn away and cry, but ultimately that's for the good. I can hardly remember the last time a movie was real enough to pull such strong emotion from me.

character and plot spoilers
Ren having temper tantrums and flailing around with his light saber was kind of goofy but I think necessary to show that he's still human, that he has anger and frustation and anxiety over his role, and that he is not on the same level as Vader was. I really love the family aspect of the movies - when he addressed Vader as grandfather it was like oh. That's a fact. Leia's father, Ren's grandpappy.

I adore that Rey has a fatherly relationship with her uncles Han and Chewie, and that she finds comfort and support in auntie Leia, even if the movie does not address it in so many words. I like the symmetry of Luke/Leia and Ren/Rey. Leia didn't seem to exhibit any force until she had been in Luke's company for a while, and by the end of Return, she could vaguely sense and know things. Rey similarly had no force potential until Ren exposed her to it. I love that as a descendant of Luke, the superior trained Jedi, Rey's raw power is miles ahead of Ren, and that she quickly adapted when pressured. That acting when she was in the chair trying to influence the trooper's mind was incredible, hat's off to Daisy Ridley, she's going so many places after this.

I did wonder why Ren never used his power to tell someone to give him their secrets, but only used his hands. I theorise that his influence may not work when expressed vocally because he does not truly believe in himself. Leia speaks from the heart and although Han is a great deceiver, when it comes down to it he's brutally honest. I think Ren is struggling with the dark side and cannot fully give himself over. I think he wants to believe and think and feel and act in the manner of the dark side, but can't. He's certainly trying, and he is making grand gestures of evil, but ultimately he's a little runaway boy with big emotions and not enough maturity to control or express them in a suitable manner. Nice symmetry to Anakin but not nearly as badly handled.

For someone who was like "eh, I guess I like SW, and I just don't want to be spoiled, so I'll see it early but I'm not hyped at all" to come out gasping with emotion and tears in my eyes and gushing about the details is a testament to it. It reignited the love I have for the brand, an old almost forgotten love that only existed for a few years between my birth (91) and prequel release (99). I'm eagerly anticipating the sequels already and I think I might even buy some merch, maybe lego sets. Goddamnit Lucas, you've got your fingers in my wallet! I never thought this would happen but I'm enjoying myself so much. I love everything right now, this and other elements surrounding the release (StarCade anyone?) have totally made my christmas this year.

Offline Midnight_Dream

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • May the llama be with you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 07:29:33 PM »
I just adored it. Agreed with Beldarna that it felt like coming home, and like being a child again and becoming immersed in the world and invested in the characters. Big ol' post underneath, true spoilers are extra spoilered.

Spoiler
Leaving aside plot spoilers for the moment, the production was just light years ( ;) sorry) ahead of the prequels. It's a return to the classic movies with physical props, real locations, and awesome stunts. There are elements of CGI, obviously, but I don't think any of the locations were purely created like the prequels with their green rooms and green props and only the physical actor trying to play off of nothing.

A place gets destroyed and there's rubble and dust and choking confusion that the heroes have to battle through, Rey struggles through life in an actual desert where food and water are precious, an anxious Finn sweats and shakes and seems nauseous, on other planets the tree trunks get touched and leaves move and there's moss growing in the cracks, rocks and boulders are climbed on and cobblestones click under heel and snow gets piled up and scraped away in drifts and the sun sets and the rain lashes down and the wind whips the character's hair and clothes. Lightsaber fights are the best return to old, characters struggle and stumble and fall and roll and thrash and wail on each other and are hurt and cry out in a way that feels wonderfully unchoreographed and naturalistic for their age, experience and emotional state. All of the tiny little things that you wouldn't even notice or would take for granted in another film suddenly feel rich, meaningful, and give TFA a depth and a character that the clean, pretty, empty worlds of the prequel lacked. On-set physical-prop movies make my heart soar, and bless the production teams for doing their absolute best with this.

Some find it a flaw, but I love it - nearly everything in this is recognisable STAR WARS™ stuff. The ships, the locations, the structures, the people, the events, the backstories, the motivations and the actions are all continuous story beats from the original trilogy. What's added brand new feels organic and complete, like it was always meant to be there, and nothing jarred me out of my immersion for the full 2 hours. It's a little darker than the originals, a little bit more blood and violence for a PG film, but it strikes me that it's more an effect of modern day movies where we can get more detail visually due to CGI and prop advancements. The same kinds of thing happened before, but it was softened by being off screen or without sound effect or the classic sword-under-arm acting. Some of TFA shocked me so that I wanted to turn away and cry, but ultimately that's for the good. I can hardly remember the last time a movie was real enough to pull such strong emotion from me.

Ren having temper tantrums and flailing around with his light saber was kind of goofy but I think necessary to show that he's still human, that he has anger and frustation and anxiety over his role, and that he is not on the same level as Vader was. I really love the family aspect of the movies - when he addressed Vader as grandfather it was like oh. That's a fact. Leia's father, Ren's grandpappy.

I adore that Rey has a fatherly relationship with her uncles Han and Chewie, and that she finds comfort and support in auntie Leia, even if the movie does not address it in so many words. I like the symmetry of Luke/Leia and Ren/Rey. Leia didn't seem to exhibit any force until she had been in Luke's company for a while, and by the end of Return, she could vaguely sense and know things. Rey similarly had no force potential until Ren exposed her to it. I love that as a descendant of Luke, the superior trained Jedi, Rey's raw power is miles ahead of Ren, and that she quickly adapted when pressured. That acting when she was in the chair trying to influence the trooper's mind was incredible, hat's off to Daisy Ridley, she's going so many places after this.

I did wonder why Ren never used his power to tell someone to give him their secrets, but only used his hands. I theorise that his influence may not work when expressed vocally because he does not truly believe in himself. Leia speaks from the heart and although Han is a great deceiver, when it comes down to it he's brutally honest. I think Ren is struggling with the dark side and cannot fully give himself over. I think he wants to believe and think and feel and act in the manner of the dark side, but can't. He's certainly trying, and he is making grand gestures of evil, but ultimately he's a little runaway boy with big emotions and not enough maturity to control or express them in a suitable manner. Nice symmetry to Anakin but not nearly as badly handled.

For someone who was like "eh, I guess I like SW, and I just don't want to be spoiled, so I'll see it early but I'm not hyped at all" to come out gasping with emotion and tears in my eyes and gushing about the details is a testament to it. It reignited the love I have for the brand, an old almost forgotten love that only existed for a few years between my birth (91) and prequel release (99). I'm eagerly anticipating the sequels already and I think I might even buy some merch, maybe lego sets. Goddamnit Lucas, you've got your fingers in my wallet! I never thought this would happen but I'm enjoying myself so much. I love everything right now, this and other elements surrounding the release (StarCade anyone?) have totally made my christmas this year.

Loved it in every way, but I wanted to address something you said.

Spoiler
The reason Ren never uses a Jedi mind trick like Rey did to the Stormtooper is because Sith never ask for anything, they are all about taking and never in any of the previous movies has a Sith ever asked someone to do anything or tricked their mind, everything is a display of force with them.

I was pleasantly surprised coming out of this movie that there were absolutely no characters that I hated, I loved them all. I do feel the original trilogy cast did get outshadowed by the new, but that was what was supposed to happen and all the actors were amazing. So many of these young actors have bright, bright futures ahead of them and I will enjoy watching every second.

Of the new characters I have to say that Rey and Po are my favorites and I really, really hope to see more of Po in the sequel as his character was just....I loved him from the moment he opened his mouth and I want more, he is clearly a very interesting character.

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 08:49:40 PM »

Spoiler
The reason Ren never uses a Jedi mind trick like Rey did to the Stormtooper is because Sith never ask for anything, they are all about taking and never in any of the previous movies has a Sith ever asked someone to do anything or tricked their mind, everything is a display of force with them.

Spoiler
Interesting, I never noticed that but you're right, Sith never use the force in that manner. I guess I don't see "you will do what I want" as an ask, although if strong enough it could be refused. Penetrating someone's mind to forcibly change their will strikes me as very dark side, I know that the amount of deception Qui-Gon uses in Ep.1 makes me (and others) question his moral character. But it makes sense that a Sith would rather use that floating ball of torture than ask in any fashion.

Offline Midnight_Dream

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • May the llama be with you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 10:14:39 PM »

Spoiler

Spoiler
Interesting, I never noticed that but you're right, Sith never use the force in that manner. I guess I don't see "you will do what I want" as an ask, although if strong enough it could be refused. Penetrating someone's mind to forcibly change their will strikes me as very dark side, I know that the amount of deception Qui-Gon uses in Ep.1 makes me (and others) question his moral character. But it makes sense that a Sith would rather use that floating ball of torture than ask in any fashion.

Spoiler
I always view the Jedi-mind trick as more of a "suggestion" really because a Jedi they often say things like "You want to...blah,blah,blah." and not something like "You will." as a Sith would. Qui-Gon might have used "You will", but I only watched those train wrecks once and can't do it again.

I have to ask, did anyone else feel like Kylo should keep his mask on at all times after he removed it the first time? It brought too many memories back of Anakin and I was just always thinking, "No, no...no, put it back on there buddy." Plus, with his voice and everything it was just underwhelming to see this fresh faced kid beneath the mask. It was really the only thing that bothered me about the movie.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal