collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Using decals for cutie marks?  (Read 413 times)

maskedferret

• Trade Count: (0)
Using decals for cutie marks?
« on: February 26, 2014, 03:29:12 PM »
Hello all!

I'm incredibly new so forgive me if I make any mistakes.

My query involves those adorable little butt stamps our ponies have. I've noticed in most tutorials I see that it's said they should be painted on. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using decals? I've used decal paper before but not on ponies.

I'm wanting to try decals as I've been painting the G4 Blindbags and don't have enough skill to paint that small. ^^;

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear it. It not I may venture out to experiment on my own and I'll make sure to keep you guys posted. :)

My second experiment will be about making wing repros. I've seen some really cool ones and I want to try it out as well.

Offline PrincessGryph

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • The Want It Need It Spell... Works Every Time!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Gryph Customs for Sale!
Re: Using decals for cutie marks?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 05:04:00 PM »
I don't know anything about doing decals, though this has been suggested to me. And unless you're doing a bunch of the same thing, I can't imagine it would actually make anything easier. Though I could be wrong; if you start experimenting and find something that works well, make sure you share it here.

You'll never have enough skill to paint that small if you don't give it a try and start learning. I recommend investing in a good set of fine miniature brushes. These are the kind I use (sizes 0 and 1)
http://www.dickblick.com/products/winsor-and-newton-series-7-kolinsky-sable-pointed-round/

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 05:28:48 PM »
I agree with PrincessGryph. Decals probably aren't easier. Get a tiny liner brush and water down your paints a bit, putting color on in thin layers, allowing the paint to dry completely between layers. I don't have a great pic of blind bag cutie marks I've done but you can kind of see Mimic's.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 05:53:33 PM »
I've seen them used before, temporary tattoos too, but I've never done it myself. A custom just didn't really feel like mine unless I painted the symbol myself. It's not really as hard as it seems. With practice you'll do great in not time. With BB remember to keep the designs simple. Too much detail and it'll become a mess.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Sawkinator

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 08:42:47 PM »
I'm curious about using decals too. Hopefully someone posts about them!

Offline puuush

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Customizing is my destiny
    • View Profile
    • etsy
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 06:11:00 AM »
As long as you state that you used decals when selling customs I'd say try it. I just would be a bit embarrassed if I paid expecting to honor the skill and experience of an artist and then realize that it's not handmade.

But don't let anything that is "expected" get in your way to creatively express yourself. ;)

wanted | etsy Avatar by AnnaPommes, signature by LunaCat. Thank you.

Offline Darkhorse

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Customizing Crazzzyyynesssss
    • View Profile
    • www.darkhorsecustommylittleponies.com
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 02:36:27 PM »
As long as you state that you used decals when selling customs I'd say try it. I just would be a bit embarrassed if I paid expecting to honor the skill and experience of an artist and then realize that it's not handmade.

But don't let anything that is "expected" get in your way to creatively express yourself. ;)

Yeah, what she said :)

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 03:48:44 PM »
I've used decals/temporary tattoos as I just don't have the manual dexterity to paint anything too little. Warning - they are hard to apply without tearing/slipping, and you only get one go or the decal is ruined. I went through loads! Mod Podge/sealant is a must to ensure they stay put but you run the risk fo applying the sealant and taking the decal off. Decals will also not 'set' and remain sticky if it's too hot/cold/Tuesday/you're not wearing your lucky underpants.

This is the reason I do not do customs!!!

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline Ligress

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart! (art is not updated but I am active to respond there!)
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 06:17:58 PM »
I've tried decals and ended up regretting it. They slide around, look messy, etc. The few I did get to stick- felt like cheating. I agree if you sell them to state you use decals. I wouldn't say you can't...but I don't know that they are any easier, either xD
~ Have facebook? Selling or buying a custom pony, vintage toys  or pony extras?~
* MLP Extras for sale **http://www.facebook.com/groups/CUSTOMPONIES Vintage Toys BUY SELL TRADE *
Avatar Icon by L Correia My Ponysona Ligress

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 09:11:22 PM »
I've never used decals. I do have two dinosaur ones that I've wanted to use, but am afraid of messing them up... (Who doesn't love a pony with a dinosaur symbol?)

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal