collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 631
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: "Bronies"documentary on Netflix...  (Read 10749 times)

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
Re: "Bronies"documentary on Netflix...
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 02:12:39 PM »
I donated to the Kickstarter. :) It's not a perfect documentary but it's mostly good, I think. I don't think it'll change a LOT of minds either way but it is fun to watch.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 03:01:09 PM »
Yeah someone already posted about it but thanks for sharing. :)  I decided to watch it on Saturday when I was browsing for something to watch on Netflix.  My first reaction was "this is kinda cool", because it had interviews with some of the voice actors and you even got to see Lauren Faust.  It was OK that there were guys who didn't go out and socialize or had friends until MLP but I thought it was overly dramatic, but I know there are people that are like that so I understand.  Next, the bronies were acting like Brony Con was the only MLP Convention.  Umm....hello there is MLP fair and a UK version as well.  As far as I know, Bronies are still welcome there and people do sell FIM stuff there.  I meanll, just because it isn't 100% Brony-centered it doesn't mean you shouldn't attend.

Overall, I did sort of enjoy it, but I think it was a little dramatic.

Offline Eurocoin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 06:27:02 AM »
I was kind of surprised that this documentary was also available on Netflix Finland with Finnish subtitles. Personally I've had this on my computer since they released the digital download version of it (yes, I did pay for my digital copy).

Offline Baby_Ponies2014

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Hear now the words of the Great Mother, who of...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 07:31:28 AM »
Imma go with majority here and admit that the doc. Isn't awful, but not so amazing i'd watch it again. I was a little miffed that the only bronies shown and interviewed where heterosexual white males.
There is always another rainbow, somewhere 'round the bend

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 07:37:07 AM »
I saw it a few days ago when I was looking threw stuff on here. I might have to check it out.

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 08:55:08 AM »
Its not bad at all. It just shows a few different male collectors - one is a young teen, one a southerner and one an Autistic guy in England. Its narriated by the voice of discord and has Lauren Faust in it as well.

its nothing like the show on TLC with odd obsessions.

Then again, Im not a male nor am I a pegasister. I consider myself a collector and G1 will always be my fav

Where's the "Like" button? G1s FOREVER!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 09:05:34 AM »
I had watched it back in April or May.  Needless to say I was not impressed.  I guess because I don't really care if boys like MLP or not, and I don't think it's a subject worthy of a documentary trying to "figure it out."  It's a great show and people like it and the toys.  Done.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 04:38:15 PM »
I saw it, it's not perfect (some parts were a bit too drawn out and lost the energy) but worth a watch. Female pony fans (pegasisters or collectors) were under represented. Based on the fact the movie was about "Bronies" and not the ladder, I was okay with it.

I (obviously) resonate more with MustBeJewel's awesome documentary "My Little Pony Obsession" :D ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Wd0caSZiE )

I do have one thing to say: now that it is on Netflix, more people I know are watching it... and there are a few more people who used to be closed minded about how "weird" it was for adult males to like ponies, and no longer feel that way. So I must say mission accomplished.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 05:39:52 PM by Foxtale »
~Foxtale~

Offline babylicketysplit

• Bionic Spine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+49)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • In Spite of your Fear, Do what You have to Do
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 05:33:50 PM »
i must admit i watched it.... totally cringeworthy in my opinion. and their elitist attitude didnt help.  cant believe tara strong and those voice actors were part of it.  *head desk*
Check out my  Esty Shop  and MyEbay Sales!
 (Profits are going to help pay for my Rescue Horse's medical bills) <3
http://myworld.ebay.com/baby_licketysplit
http://www.etsy.com/shop/PoniesAndPets

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 06:12:38 PM »
It keeps coming across my 'recommended' feed on Netflix.  I'm not sure if I want to watch it...

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 06:57:38 PM »
I had watched it back in April or May.  Needless to say I was not impressed.  I guess because I don't really care if boys like MLP or not, and I don't think it's a subject worthy of a documentary trying to "figure it out."  It's a great show and people like it and the toys.  Done.
This is pretty much my reaction. Female collectors have always gotten negative attention in docs, been called obsessive, etc.--but when guys do it? They get called omg so special and admirable, etc, etc. It's pretty irritating.

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Spike

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 01:38:15 AM »
I saw it just 3 days ago.. I thought it was actually really really strange at first. But I can relate to the guy with Aspergers. And it really shows that there are sweet hearted people in this brony fandom.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 02:02:48 AM »

This in so many ways for me.

The whole thing is a little self adoring. I have seen it twice and cringed both times from start to finish. Its also not really a documentary in my opinion, its a group of people clapping themselves on the back and telling the outside world they are awesome. A documentary, for me, needs a little more depth and analysis and outside opinion. *shrug*
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 02:10:34 AM »
I've heard so many awful things about it. I'm kind of tempted to watch it just to get it over with now that its on Netflix, but there's got to be something better I could be watching. I might dedicate a night to Equestria Girls and the "documentary".

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 04:19:44 AM »
I downloaded it from a friend a couple months ago (heck no I'm not paying for it)! :P I thought ... well, for what was supposed to be a 'love letter to the fandom,' it sort of came off as sounding overindulgent to the point of ridiculousness. Like it would give more fodder to the people who mock Bronies, rather than less. For the ridiculous amount of money they poured into it, they didn't come up with a very good result. But that's just my opinion.

Disappointing, overall, and cringeworthy in spots.
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal