collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 412420 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2640 on: February 15, 2022, 12:19:22 PM »
I don't like the Perfume Puff ponies.  I'm not sure if this is an unpopular set or not, lol.  I feel like they used to be very unpopular and then had a huge surge.

That said, in a thrift store I once saw a Daisy Sweet with a mohawk and it looked SO good.  Like a Roman centurian helmet.  I regret not buying her.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2641 on: February 15, 2022, 01:04:02 PM »
But that still asks the question, should the ponies be being ridden?

I'm a sentient being. I don't want someone gallivanting around on my back telling me where to go :P

If we're forced to, I'd agree.

We carry pets, children and occasionally other people if we need to.  I mean, if I was a pony and the annoying two-legger that needed to come along was terribly slow... I probably would.  The real reason I don't carry slow people around now is that it's tiring.  But a pony doesn't have that problem.  It doesn't mean that they get to tell me where to go.  Even with a hackamore, horses still basically go where they want.  They're just choosing to listen to their rider/friend.  But honestly, if it was easy to carry other people who have movement issues, why wouldn't I do it?

Adorable cat and horse for fun:
https://youtu.be/dG0pbTItcDc

I feel like we're probing deep and meaningful issues here, but it's somehow still fun and interesting xD.

The irony of this is that I wrote pretty much my whole PhD thesis around the characterisation of horses in Japanese war tales, several of which are ridden by warriors (both with and without saddles).

But there's one character who on two occasions carries his horse, rather than the other way around. First, across a river, because it's injured. And second, down a mountain, so it doesn't get hurt.

...If it was that kind of mutually beneficial relationship, I can see there's a good reason for a horse to carry a person.

And the difference I guess between carrying an animal like a cat (aside the weight) is that the cat is probably not the one deciding where the horse should go, when it should stop, and so on. It would depend whether the horse was carrying the person as a favour, or whether the horse was being subjugated to the person's will, maybe.

...But this is way too deep for the unpopular opinions thread :)

Well it's not so easy carrying around an animal that on average weighs between 800-1,200+pounds.

Didn't seem to be a problem for Shigetada. When he crossed the river, he was carrying his horse and two other warriors as well as wearing armour.

...I hasten to add this is unlikely to be a true story xD.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: February 15, 2022, 01:19:46 PM »
But that still asks the question, should the ponies be being ridden?

I'm a sentient being. I don't want someone gallivanting around on my back telling me where to go :P

If we're forced to, I'd agree.

We carry pets, children and occasionally other people if we need to.  I mean, if I was a pony and the annoying two-legger that needed to come along was terribly slow... I probably would.  The real reason I don't carry slow people around now is that it's tiring.  But a pony doesn't have that problem.  It doesn't mean that they get to tell me where to go.  Even with a hackamore, horses still basically go where they want.  They're just choosing to listen to their rider/friend.  But honestly, if it was easy to carry other people who have movement issues, why wouldn't I do it?

Adorable cat and horse for fun:
https://youtu.be/dG0pbTItcDc

I feel like we're probing deep and meaningful issues here, but it's somehow still fun and interesting xD.

The irony of this is that I wrote pretty much my whole PhD thesis around the characterisation of horses in Japanese war tales, several of which are ridden by warriors (both with and without saddles).

But there's one character who on two occasions carries his horse, rather than the other way around. First, across a river, because it's injured. And second, down a mountain, so it doesn't get hurt.

...If it was that kind of mutually beneficial relationship, I can see there's a good reason for a horse to carry a person.

And the difference I guess between carrying an animal like a cat (aside the weight) is that the cat is probably not the one deciding where the horse should go, when it should stop, and so on. It would depend whether the horse was carrying the person as a favour, or whether the horse was being subjugated to the person's will, maybe.

...But this is way too deep for the unpopular opinions thread :)

Well it's not so easy carrying around an animal that on average weighs between 800-1,200+pounds.

Didn't seem to be a problem for Shigetada. When he crossed the river, he was carrying his horse and two other warriors as well as wearing armour.

...I hasten to add this is unlikely to be a true story xD.

Yeah, I know.  ^.^ But I sure would've liked to see it. Haha!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: February 15, 2022, 03:50:47 PM »
Spoiler
Horse phase -> Fantasy phase -> Domestic/Modern Phase

"Horse phase" obviously being the bridles and saddles, but also Megan's inclusion. The stable is also very horsey, but what makes it even MORE horsey are the trough accessories! Early MLP feels like "horses, but what if it was purple?" rather than how we know it today. "Fantasy phase" is the mainstream view of MLP. No need to explain further. Magical little ponies with magical little powers living in castles and going on adventures. "Domestic/Modern Phase" is obviously Tales, but also the shift of the brand entirely. From "magical ponies in castles" to "prom queen ponies" and "house furniture playset and pregnant mom pony". G1 is the most baby-heavy of all the gens, but instead of just "babies" there's an emphasis on "families" like, obviously, the Family sets (Sweet Celebrations, etc) in late-G1. A quick glance at MLW (which I know isn't the authority on MLP history, but it's good enough with something like this), early G1 looks like it's mostly adult ponies with some babies. But by year 7-8, it's halved, with a LOT of baby releases... like half adult ponies, half babies. Of course when I mean family I mean "mom, dad, baby", not "random orphaned baby" and "adult pony with her cloned baby self".

I know G1's progress was just a matter of them refreshing the brand to make it more appealing to its demographic, but it sort of repeats itself with the other gens:

G2: Simple Phase -> Fantasy Phase -> Domestic Phase
G2 started off with basic playsets and themes, went onto the royalty thing, then finished off with a mansion mom and baby playset. The focus on babies as time went on I think also contributes to the "domesticity" of the gen, since if you have babies, you probably will want to roleplay "family" stories. Cooking, school, and gardening playsets as well.

G3: Simple Phase -> Fantasy Phase -> Domestic/Baby Phase
G3 started off with very simple stories that didn't do much, but A Very Minty Christmas and The Runaway Rainbow gave the ponies more exciting adventures to go on halfway through the gen. Finish off the "Fantasy Phase" with Twinkle Wish Adventure. These ponies are going on adventures across the land and not just planning parties in Ponyville like the Free Media movies. As for "Domesticity", we have the Ponyville playsets-- ponies living in a town, a society, rather than a magical world. Ultimately, the gen wraps up altogether with Newborn Cuties.

Gens seem to have a focus on babies at the end of their run...? Is this a "last ditch effort" to make money? "OK we gotta bring out the big guns, give them babies. Little girls love babies."

G4: Simple Phase -> Fantasy Phase -> Domestic Phase
"Simple Phase" being the "slice of life" early episodes of FiM, "Fantasy Phase" being the more... "geek franchise" later seasons, and "Domestic Phase" being Pony Life. "Modern Phase" also fits Pony Life, just as Tales was G1's "Modern Phase". Although they came before PL, you could throw in a brief "baby phase" with the... 2 sets of baby Mane 6 merch we got...? :lookround: (The 6-pack minifigures and the Pinkie/Twilight dolls)

G5 has just begun but I wonder if we'll see a similar pattern. Maybe Hasbro can shake things up and give us babies right away. ;)

It's fun to look at how certain themes are repeated across the generations! Hasbro seems to have been pretty adamant about not having anything too horse-themed in MLP after the first year of G1 (even if the Show Stable and Parlor ended up being rereleased later). It was nice to see a brief return to it in G4.

I find it interesting that the final year of G1 (1994) for most of Europe is basically all baby ponies, with very few new adults released. I'm guessing they were the easiest to sell with their low price point. However out of the four sets, only one (surprise newborns) is baby themed in any way. The others have themes and designs that could just as easily have been used for adult ponies. Similarly, many of the later baby sets in the US G1 line simply reuse themes from earlier adult sets.

Personally I kind of miss the human/pony interaction from G1, and it's probably something we'll never see again (I guess Equestria Girls is as close as we'll get). It's obviously something Hasbro left behind a long time ago, as kids are more likely to and are encouraged to identify with the ponies. But to me Megan & Sundance will always be an essential part of MLP. :biggrin:

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: February 16, 2022, 05:13:30 AM »

They're just pointless, really. Related, I was thinking of like a... theory? Lack of a better term? For G1's progress:

Spoiler
Horse phase -> Fantasy phase -> Domestic/Modern Phase

"Horse phase" obviously being the bridles and saddles, but also Megan's inclusion. The stable is also very horsey, but what makes it even MORE horsey are the trough accessories! Early MLP feels like "horses, but what if it was purple?" rather than how we know it today. "Fantasy phase" is the mainstream view of MLP. No need to explain further. Magical little ponies with magical little powers living in castles and going on adventures. "Domestic/Modern Phase" is obviously Tales, but also the shift of the brand entirely. From "magical ponies in castles" to "prom queen ponies" and "house furniture playset and pregnant mom pony". G1 is the most baby-heavy of all the gens, but instead of just "babies" there's an emphasis on "families" like, obviously, the Family sets (Sweet Celebrations, etc) in late-G1. A quick glance at MLW (which I know isn't the authority on MLP history, but it's good enough with something like this), early G1 looks like it's mostly adult ponies with some babies. But by year 7-8, it's halved, with a LOT of baby releases... like half adult ponies, half babies. Of course when I mean family I mean "mom, dad, baby", not "random orphaned baby" and "adult pony with her cloned baby self".

I know G1's progress was just a matter of them refreshing the brand to make it more appealing to its demographic, but it sort of repeats itself with the other gens:

G2: Simple Phase -> Fantasy Phase -> Domestic Phase
G2 started off with basic playsets and themes, went onto the royalty thing, then finished off with a mansion mom and baby playset. The focus on babies as time went on I think also contributes to the "domesticity" of the gen, since if you have babies, you probably will want to roleplay "family" stories. Cooking, school, and gardening playsets as well.

G3: Simple Phase -> Fantasy Phase -> Domestic/Baby Phase
G3 started off with very simple stories that didn't do much, but A Very Minty Christmas and The Runaway Rainbow gave the ponies more exciting adventures to go on halfway through the gen. Finish off the "Fantasy Phase" with Twinkle Wish Adventure. These ponies are going on adventures across the land and not just planning parties in Ponyville like the Free Media movies. As for "Domesticity", we have the Ponyville playsets-- ponies living in a town, a society, rather than a magical world. Ultimately, the gen wraps up altogether with Newborn Cuties.

Gens seem to have a focus on babies at the end of their run...? Is this a "last ditch effort" to make money? "OK we gotta bring out the big guns, give them babies. Little girls love babies."

G4: Simple Phase -> Fantasy Phase -> Domestic Phase
"Simple Phase" being the "slice of life" early episodes of FiM, "Fantasy Phase" being the more... "geek franchise" later seasons, and "Domestic Phase" being Pony Life. "Modern Phase" also fits Pony Life, just as Tales was G1's "Modern Phase". Although they came before PL, you could throw in a brief "baby phase" with the... 2 sets of baby Mane 6 merch we got...? :lookround: (The 6-pack minifigures and the Pinkie/Twilight dolls)

G5 has just begun but I wonder if we'll see a similar pattern. Maybe Hasbro can shake things up and give us babies right away. ;)
Very nice analysis!  I can tell it was thought out, and it ultimately makes sense - the only part I'd disagree with is that not only did G4 technically start off with a "Fantasy Phase" (the first two-parter of FiM, especially the second half), and it's always kind of zigzagged (or tried to) between "Fantasy Phase" and "Simple Phase" - I'd even argue that some of the later seasons are more "Simple Phase" than S1.  I think it depended more on the episodes they were showing, or something  - as much as I love FiM, I'm not sure it was always as good at balancing the two; in fact one of the main complaints a friend and I have over the latter seasons is that they weren't really as adventurous as the earlier seasons (I'm not saying there wasn't adventure, but they seemed more focused on comedy, and may not have balanced it as well as they could have done), but ultimately, I feel it always kind of did both "Slice of Life" and "Adventure" from the begining.

Sorry about that, I swear it was just that one part - your analysis was beautifully written.

I was also quite confused that the tales ponies were meant to be 10 years old. They seemed like young teenagers to me, at least 14 or thereabouts, given their behaviour and the fact this was the early 1990s. While I know kids grow up fast, they don't go to rock concerts on their own at age 10, much less perform in them.
I often found myself forgetting they were around 10, though part of it for me was seeing G4 and by extension pre-Tales G1 first, so it was probably fixed in my mind that a 9 or 10 year old Little Pony would be like the CMC (who are around 7, based on an audition script) or possibly the G1 Baby Ponies (who seemed more children than babies.)

I'd gotten used to the idea of viewing full sized young ponies, as at least young adults (that's how I view the earlier G1s, the G3s, the G4s, and I guess now the G5s, in animation at least), but realistically the Tales ponies would be at least young teenagers, like you say, as they're in school.  For reasons you say, the do seem more like teenagers than pre-teens - we may think about being in a (at least locally) famous band and giving concerts at 10 or younger, but I doubt any of us actually did it... I mean, even as a teenager it would be a challenge.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: February 16, 2022, 11:09:44 AM »

Unpopular opinion now, maybe? But I don't really like ponies having bridles and saddles.

I agree about bridles.  I've always thought they look a bit out of place on MLPs.  On Bowtie pose ponies it always seems to me that the bridle is uncomfortable for the pony and limits their ability to speak, although I assume that magical ponies would still be able to talk while wearing one.

I think it's okay if a pony wants to give someone or something a ride but not if the pony is forced to do so. 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: February 16, 2022, 12:18:40 PM »

Unpopular opinion now, maybe? But I don't really like ponies having bridles and saddles.

I agree about bridles.  I've always thought they look a bit out of place on MLPs.  On Bowtie pose ponies it always seems to me that the bridle is uncomfortable for the pony and limits their ability to speak, although I assume that magical ponies would still be able to talk while wearing one.

I think it's okay if a pony wants to give someone or something a ride but not if the pony is forced to do so. 

Ponyfan

I always assumed that since Megan and Sundance are friends that Sundance wasn't being forced or uncomfortable and they had their reasons.  Maybe related to Sundance being clumsy?  I don't know.  I also never thought an actual "bit" was used so maybe that plays a part.  Honestly though, I'm not for or against it.  It's more of a well, I guess this could be an explanation.

I also spent time around horses as a kid and know that a frightened, unhappy horse is dangerous to ride.  You might have disagreements but if it really came push to shove on a ride, the horse will win. We are fortunate that horses are as kind and tolerant as they are.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Apple Spice

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #2647 on: February 16, 2022, 03:26:21 PM »
I really don't like alicorns. The saddles I think were just made like clothes for the ponies. I don't think they really had it in mind for someone to use to ride the pony. I think it was like if someone was a pony what would be in their closet. Of course, bridles and saddles would come to mind. So they were a fashion add-on and then they were just added to the set for extra items.

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: February 22, 2022, 11:11:47 AM »
I wish we got a gen 2 cartoon no matter how bad it could be.
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: February 22, 2022, 04:28:33 PM »
I wish we got a gen 2 cartoon no matter how bad it could be.

That would probably be nice.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2650 on: February 22, 2022, 04:33:26 PM »
The advert animation was quite cute, some of it. Although it was just animation, not anything storyish.

They could have included the annoying butterfly from the game as a special friend. I remember there were rainbow arches with butterflies on them - at least I think so.

I think it would've been ok, honestly. People still had imagination in 1998.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: February 22, 2022, 07:11:53 PM »
I really liked the scene in the game where after solving the puzzle the orange pony (don't remember her name) shows up and says "Nothing wrong with your memory", I'd like to see her in a cartoon.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: February 23, 2022, 09:09:49 AM »
I actually do like the G5 moulded hair ponies. I can't reroot manes, too chicken to try. Unfortunately, not all pony hair can be dyed. Blind bags are too little. So they are perfect for someone like me to customize. I don't like the joints though. Or the ball joint, and I wish it was more like a proper my little pony head/neck. They seem to have better faces, though I haven't seen the smaller mainline toys in person. So maybe they're about the same?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: February 25, 2022, 01:34:49 PM »
I really really want Hasbro to make Fluttershy, Applejack, and Rarity in G5 form! We've already got the other three, so it seems a bit off not to make the others....

Yeah, yeah, I know... More Main 6  :lol: *dodges fakies*

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2654 on: February 26, 2022, 05:09:00 AM »
I like the size of G5 and the body proportions. I like that they have different expressions and eyes.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal