collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 412224 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #1545 on: April 01, 2019, 03:18:36 PM »
I forget if I said this but collectors pose reminds me of a tall hippo. 🤔

That made me laugh :D

I have never liked the Collector Pose much. I feel it particularly betrays Lemon Drop who is a showjumper and yet her legs are glued together like that. Unless she has springs fitted into her hooves, it's hard to see how she'd win any gymkhana, and Butterscotch likewise...

Would have rather seen LD at least in the (later) walking pose, because then at least she might be running between jumps, rather than examining her toes as she bounces along.

I just have to post the US Show Stable and UK Gromming Parlor commercials now. :biggrin:

US

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DdubMVwe0Y

UK This is acutally the Grooming Parlor comerical and not the Show Stable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP2ov0YyKpE

As much as I love the US commericals I think some of the UK ones are better.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1546 on: April 01, 2019, 03:46:19 PM »
I wish more early UK adverts had survived. Or if they have, people haven't posted them. I only know of those two from really early. Then there's the party pony one and the crimp & curl hair salon one on one of the vhs tapes...and...yeah. Any others that survive seem to be only the visuals with the audio from France.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: April 04, 2019, 02:04:17 AM »
I think first tooth babies look kinda weird, But I also kinda like them?
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: April 04, 2019, 10:45:29 AM »
I forget if I said this but collectors pose reminds me of a tall hippo. 🤔

That made me laugh :D

I have never liked the Collector Pose much. I feel it particularly betrays Lemon Drop who is a showjumper and yet her legs are glued together like that. Unless she has springs fitted into her hooves, it's hard to see how she'd win any gymkhana, and Butterscotch likewise...

Would have rather seen LD at least in the (later) walking pose, because then at least she might be running between jumps, rather than examining her toes as she bounces along.

It's my dad's fault. I asked him to look for the 25th anniversary ponies for me.. and he brought be back something else instead saying "I didn't want to get those, they looked like hippos". So now the seed had been planted in my mind. XD

As a kid, I just kinda thought they looked old and droopy...

You have a great point about LD. She certainly deserves a more dynamic pose.
Fortunately, I think hippos are cute so this doesn't bother me. 

For the longest time I thought the Sweet Stuff pose was ugly.  It's still my least favorite.  Cupcake eventually changed my mind about it being ugly.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: April 06, 2019, 04:32:57 PM »
I actually like the Bushwoolies.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: April 07, 2019, 09:24:04 AM »
I do too Space Pinto.

I wish Skydancer, Starshine and Medley were in more graceful poses. The Firefly pose is not my favorite and for the record, I'm only okay with the Surprise pose. Locket posed Medley, and Paradise posed Skydancer and Starshine woulda been so pretty.

Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: April 07, 2019, 09:55:30 AM »
The Whizzer Pose/Paradise Pose is what the Firefly Pose wanted to be, I think. Same kind of dynamic "in flight" outline , but better-executed and can't be mistaken for a sitting pose. Plus the hooves are actually compatible with Pony Wear shoes, and is also friendlier to seating Megan. The Firefly Pose may be a classic, but it decidedly suffers from "first try syndrome." Same for the Collector Pose, which basically exists as a result of downscaling the original My Pretty Pony design (where the pose existed as a means of offsetting the overall large size by keeping the shelf footprint small) without immediately looking to the pose possibilities opened up by the smaller size.
should be perma-moderated

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: April 07, 2019, 02:54:23 PM »
I most be one of the only people with a soft spot for the Firefly/Medley pose.  But Medley was my first pony and I loved her.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: April 07, 2019, 02:56:00 PM »
I'm not looking forward to seeing how they're gonna botch Grogar.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: April 07, 2019, 04:11:27 PM »
I most be one of the only people with a soft spot for the Firefly/Medley pose.  But Medley was my first pony and I loved her.

Imagine, having Medley as a first pony O.O.

...I don't love the pose they're in but if it's Medley I forgive her everything. I am sad though that Firefly got a later pose update version and Medley never did. Medley was always way cooler than Firefly, but Firefly got all the attention. In the comics I can remember times when Medley had to clear up Firefly's mess.

...So yeah. Maybe my unpopular opinion is: Firefly is overrated. Medley is way better.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: April 07, 2019, 08:39:22 PM »
Sunset, I have a soft spot for the Firefly pose, but I won't deny it has its flaws.

To be fair, Taffeta, that updated Firefly was made as a pack-in for a tape release of the cartoon pilot.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: April 07, 2019, 10:08:03 PM »
I never cared for the updated Firefly pose.  I preferred the original.  :P
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: April 08, 2019, 01:15:02 AM »
Sunset, I have a soft spot for the Firefly pose, but I won't deny it has its flaws.

To be fair, Taffeta, that updated Firefly was made as a pack-in for a tape release of the cartoon pilot.

Yeah, that's true, but I never understood why she got so much of the focus when overall she played less of a part in the animation for MLP than did some of the later more standard characters. The thing is my annoyance for Firefly doesn't really come from RaMC, though. She's fine in that. It's the idiot things she used to do in the comic, getting herself into stupid situations by not thinking them through, and then having to be rescued - at least once by Medley, and once I think by Tootsie...probably with Majesty's help. Even as a kid I thought she was a nusiance ;)

Don't get me wrong, I still like the pony Firefly. But she's probably my least favourite in the set. They were never sold here, despite all the stories, but I would have loved Medley as a kid. I never wanted Firefly, and I'll never see RaMC as "Firefly's Adventure."
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: April 08, 2019, 05:57:56 AM »
I'm not looking forward to seeing how they're gonna botch Grogar.
I've got mixed feelings over this - I'm going to just have to remind myself it's not the same character if it all goes wrong like Tirek and The Smooze did, in my opinion.

I've been realising the hypocrisy in my own opinion here; I'm perfectly fine that the ponies don't match up to earlier versions of themselves (e.g. G3, G3.5 and G4 Rainbow Dash are three completely different ponies), because I see them as different characters, rather than a changed version of the same character.  However, I was more critical of the G1 villains changing to something that didn't fit them, especially as Tirek and The Smooze were really diluted in my eyes.

The reason I was more critical was because I viewed these as references, rather than new versions of the characters.  Maybe the intention was to create a new version of these villains, and only have their name be the thing that got left over?  Maybe G4 Tirek was never meant to be G1 Tirek in anyway, but rather a new Tirek for G4, and not, as I wanted, a direct reference to the G1 character?

So yeah, I think got my expectations up to high.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: April 08, 2019, 06:44:15 AM »
I definitely think they were meant to be "Reimagined for G4" versions. And if you think about it, Tirac/Tirek in particular kinda had to be reimagined because his G1 schtick had already been used by Nightmare Moon.

brightberry, I definitely think Firefly's original pose fits her cartoon characterization better. I think she was given the update mainly because her original pose doesn't seat the Megan doll very well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal