collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Naming your dolls  (Read 1538 times)

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Naming your dolls
« on: May 06, 2012, 11:14:16 AM »
How do you decide what to name a doll if it is not representing a pre-existing character?

I mean, for example, my first two BJDs (Luts Annette and DollZone Edward) Are named Lillian and Isaac because I bought them to dress and style as two characters I am writting about. Also, my Doll Love Youyou is going to be chibi!Dahlia because she is an itty bitty stylized version of one of my characters.

Now I just bought a Doll Zone Moon because I totally fell for that sculpt. I have no dragon creature characters (well, that look like that) so he is not based on anyone.

Ultimately, I have no idea what to name him. Preferably something chinese or japanese. Would it be horribly lame to just call him by his sculpt name? E.x. "This is my DZMoon, Moon"

I think this applies to pullips, bjd, etc.

Do y'all have any suggestions for me or stories you would like to share on how you named your dolls?

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
Re: Naming your dolls
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 11:51:37 AM »
a few of my dolls are named after characters of mine, my Isul Mao i got because he is pretty much one of my characters to perfection (outside of eye color which you can't see because of the bangs in his face, just like my character lol) so he was named after my character ...

i have tae (timulus) and a Pullip (yona) i bought to make the most epic of all epic couples in all the known history of epicness Billy Buddy and Penny from "dr. horribles sing along blog" so they were destined to be them and only them and they work perfectly with a different wardrobe lol

my others have kind of become characters for me lol my favorite, a tae hash, is Fenix with a complex story now, angel, gave it up, yadda yadda lol (i bought him because i love Hide, the late musician, may he rest in peace, and at the time he was the only "hide" doll lol) but he bacame a character for me and actually has some stories now lol. and then the others kind of fall in around him ... his sister Aziraphael, pullip ala, fell into place rather easily once i had Fenix established. then Peep, the dal Edge, still has a bit of mystery to her, she somehow comes into play from Fenix's past, which he doesn't quite remember since lopping of his wings.  then ama, horizon, richt, maguna got names and status quos lol, and even my edward scissorhands fell into place around them. and then i have hide rocket dive, willy wonka, black jack, and mini oompa that are just who they are lol and a tae wayne for a possible custom in the future if i ever get the money to customize him ... lol

most arrived and fell into place, few others were pre planned lmao but fell into place easily.
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

Obscuria

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 12:04:57 PM »
Sometimes a name just comes to you, but you have to sit on it for a while. My Lunatic Queen Pullip, she was destined to fall into a Alice in Wonderland sort of theme because I love Alice, and admittedly my Dal is dressed as Alice, my Pullip Arietta/Lucky as the white Queen, and my Chesme as the Cheshire Cat, but as for a name, it took forever, and ever...and ever....until finally she becamse Anesthesia Ashes, the ust came to me ne day and BAM it fit her. She owns that name. Sometimes if you just forget about it a bit, when you are doing something else a bit later a name or word will just jump out at you and claw your eyes out until you use it...lol

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 02:06:43 PM »
I am the worst ever at names. Literally like 90% of my characters, dolls or not, have no names. >.<
Most of my Livs, what I'm primarily collecting right now, don't have the slightest hint of names. Only three out of eight are named, and one kept her official name and one was named by my boyfriend. Plus I have some nameless minis still.

But I do have some name success stories! :D

Nami, Chiaki, and Chii - My first three dolls, a petite Blythe and two Dollcenas, were named with the help of my Japanese dictionary. Chiaki is probably going to be renamed.
Susie - She's a Susie Sad Eyes. So original of me. xD
Audrei - Dollcena, named after a little girl I knew, Audrey.
Suishou and Sato - Leptospermum Ai and the plush he came with, Japanese dictionary again.
Arisa - Pullip Ala, I just made it up. xD Don't remember if there was anything truly significant about it.
Ki - Wooden artist model doll thing, again Japanese dictionary.
Kotaishi - Mini Dal, Japanese dictionary again but this one was special. Means like prince or something related to The Little Prince, I don't remember.
Sakura - Friendly Freckles Blythe, named after my persona. She's basically my mini-me.
Johnathan - Taeyang Hash, he was named that because of a live recording of a Kimya Dawson song I have. In it she calls an audience member Mr. Strawberry, and his name is Johnathan.
Chou - Pullip Mir, very simple one. I love that name. xD
Nadia - Liv, one of the rare times the perfect name just came to me.
Hayden - Liv, kept her official name. XP
Jaranah - Liv, named by my boyfriend after a WoW character of his.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 05:11:41 PM »
I really need to name my CAM Monster Highs, but I haven't just yet.

Offline Flaileigh

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 05:37:22 PM »
I like making characters, too. Sometimes the dolls just name themselves and sometimes you just have to wait until something "fits". There are dolls I've had for over 5 years now and they don't have names.  >_<

My Blythe's are Amelia Jane (AJ - French Trench), Marigold (Cinnamon Girl), Hudson (Samedi Marche Encore), Westley (Asian Butterfly Encore) and Asterix. (Tea 4 Two) Except for Marigold and Asterix, the others are named after book/movie characters. AJ is from the children's book Naughty Amelia Jane, Hudson from Aliens, and Westley from The Princess Bride.

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 05:56:23 PM »
I don't have any unnamed dolls (yet), but I do sometimes give the ponies other names if I don't like their current ones.  I don't use my names in place of the real ones here though, because that would of course cause a lot of confusion.  Some examples would be calling Tink-a-Tink-a-Too simply "Tink."  Also, if there's a pony that comes with more of a title instead of a name, I will give it a name.  I'm calling the G2 ponies Miss Teacher, Miss Painter, and Miss Chef "Prism Heart," "Phi," and "Cookie" respectfully.

Offline fiwen30

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 03:42:38 AM »
Ohh, I really hate naming dolls sometimes >.< I've just got back into Pullip&Co, and my Xiao retained her name from her previous owner (Peach), and my 2 custom Dals and Isul took on Romeo and Juliet inspired names from ther personalities/back stories.

My first BJD arrived a few days ago, and I'm having real trouble finding a name to suit her perfectly.
Check out and Favourite my Esy shop! @ https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheBrightRedBee?ref=si_shop

Actively buying ALL My Beautiful Horses models, riders, tack, playsets, magazines etc.! PM me!

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 07:03:22 AM »
I have a problem naming my dolls. Nothing seems right. I just figured out what my Pullips name will be on the day that I got my newest Pullip. That leaves the new one nameless for a time.

Knibitz

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 07:31:23 AM »
The name of my hometown and my college XD
I look at the characters personality and pull out things to pick a name from - ie; my main OC luke was originally like super straight laced southern baptist christian, thus biblical name.

But, mostly, I just browse babynames.com and pick things that either sound cool or have good meanings. Sammy, Kayson, and Riley all came that way.

My most recent one, Bloom, was picked kinda randomly. It's the new pullip and I just developed a character that would work with the BJDs, so she's an "imaginary" and little tea cup size. I decided to pick a tea related name, and came across "blooming tea" and I thought Bloom sounded nice.

Pullip Chloi

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 07:43:04 AM »
I think it´s hard to choose a Name, so i often use the stock name on them.
I have only renamed my Pullip Aya to Amy

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 10:28:56 AM »
I usually take book characters, or obscure background characters names. sometimes I take a male name, and create a female version of that name....and sometimes I let the doll try out the name for a bit.
I have Alice ( she is in the Romantic Alice stock...no imagination there)
Jupi (it's her factory name...cause how could -I- not have a Jupi - lol)
Marie (who was originally Emmarie, which is a female version of Emmett. But it was too long, and she is a sweet personality, so Marie works great)
Carlie (a spin on Charlie...not that Charlie can't be a girls name too...)
Sophia, Luna, Lily (all characters or BG characters)
...and my Batgirl is just Batgirl....maybe I should give her a name...like Bryann (see...fem spin on Bruce - lol)((it's the blue hair version, not the redhead, Babs version))
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:30:27 AM by jupiternwndrlnd »

Offline Aienhime

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 10:41:53 AM »
Hmmm... I guess the names just come to me! I really don't know how I get some of them, like Raia and Canna and Althea. At some point I just come up with a name that clicks :D

For other dolls, I do have a theme. I have 4 dolls named after the 4 seasons (Primavera, Natsu, Autumn and Wynter), my madoka magica pullip is named Puella and my bjd is named after an artist I adore (look up Loreen - Sober on youtube! ^^)

Dibbles

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 12:16:56 PM »
Names are hard. I have given my Moxie Teenz names...my first wave Melrose is named Katya Louise. I just thought she looked Russian with the blonde wig (which, however, she doesn't wear much anymore), and the "Louise" part came a little later. My second wave Tristen and Bijou are Bennie and Ronnie, after two of the girls from the Elton John song "Bennie and the Jets." If I remember correctly, my mom came up with Bennie and I added Ronnie. My Gavin is called Drake. My mom came up with that one too I think.

...but now...I have a whole list of names just waiting for dolls! I want to make LPS hybrids in particular...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal