collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Listing things on eBay?  (Read 487 times)

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
Listing things on eBay?
« on: December 07, 2012, 03:38:58 PM »
I have some ponies, books, DVDs, etc that I just can't seem to sell!

I've thought about listing them on eBay but last time I tried listing things there, they wanted me to pay like a $5 listing fee or something like that.  I've thought about donating it, but half of the stuff I need to ditch is stuff that I got from thrift stores and I don't want to be like, "Yeah, I had my fun with it.  Y'all can have it back."

And eBay is just intimidating in general. ;_;
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Listing things on eBay?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 03:59:41 PM »
I'm not sure what you need help with.... ?

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 04:01:30 PM »
You can often list things for free. Don't be intimidated, a lot of us can give you advice!

Why not try Half Price to sell your DVDs and books?
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 04:39:30 PM »
I'm not sure what you need help with.... ?

Ah, sorry. ^^'  Just advice for listing things on eBay.

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 06:01:06 PM »
As to ebay listing the only way you would be charged that much was if you had a huge opening bid, and paid for all the bells and whistles they offer.  To be honest between ebay fees and pay pal I do not list anything that will not sell for more then $10.  If it is worth less then that I either thrift or gift it if new.  I have donated stuff back to a thrift if the item is in good shape there is no reason why you could not.  Not like you are asking for money from them.

You can also do like a yard sale type listing on Craigs List and there are one or two other sites.  There you list how much you want and if someone is interested and in your area you meet and exchange or you offer to pack and ship to get more interest.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 06:16:46 PM »
I just do 'buy it now' on eBay, put free shipping and mark the price to coincide with the free shipping. You lose like $1 for each 'buy it now' listing (assuming you don't have a ton of pictures), and then you lose 10-15% for each item you sell. It beats craigslist, that's for sure.

I have a blag about ponies.

Offline windsong

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 06:56:14 PM »
I just listed 69 items in eBay end of last month and my first 50 listings were free. The remaining 19 cost me 30 cents each (because I listed as an auction above 99 cents and the option to Buy It Now). For all those items I listed, it cost me $5.70. I don't know how many fees eBay and PayPal took from the final sale, but the initial investment wasn't much at all. And if you have less than 50 items to sell, it should be completely free. :)

~ My Etsy Shop ~ Arena Sales ~ Wants ~ My Book Blog ~ TY Badjuju86 4 avatar  :heart:

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 05:01:20 AM »
Good luck!

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Skylar

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+211)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 06:58:28 PM »
I just donated a bunch of stuff to the Salvation Army and a ton more will be going back to the thrift store soon. My patience of trying to sell online is wearing thin. Ebay is sooo frustrating at times! Too many people want something for nothing and sometimes it is easier to just chuck it so that you can take a breath and enjoy the space!

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+71)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 09:41:46 PM »
What type of charges does Paypal charge these days?  Its been so long since I have sold anything!

Offline windsong

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 07:02:48 AM »
stilettomlp: I looked on PayPal and it says their "flat transaction fee" is "2.9% + $0.30". The fees on eBay vary based on the final total of the sale. It's kind of frustrating sometimes, but I think in the end it can be worth it when you have the right things to sell. :)

~ My Etsy Shop ~ Arena Sales ~ Wants ~ My Book Blog ~ TY Badjuju86 4 avatar  :heart:

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 07:07:22 AM »
Ebay usually throws in extra free listing in addition to the 50 throughout the month.  I never pay for listing this way.
I sell allot on ebay and if your worried about fee's I recommend checking out fee calculators and owning a scale makes things so much simpler.

Offline LeighAnnApanites

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • "...there is too much, let me sum up."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
I've not yet braved listing on ebay, but I "return" things to thrift stores frequently. The way I see it, it just gives them a chance to make some income on it twice, since they're usually charity shops. I do worry sometimes, though, that my mom will buy something I've just gotten rid of!  :lol:

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+71)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 09:49:50 AM »
stilettomlp: I looked on PayPal and it says their "flat transaction fee" is "2.9% + $0.30". The fees on eBay vary based on the final total of the sale. It's kind of frustrating sometimes, but I think in the end it can be worth it when you have the right things to sell. :)

Oh wow, thats even more expensive then Square!  I run a local business and use Square which only takes 2.75%.  It's a little scanner that attaches to my smartphone and I just swipe the card like you normally would.  They take out a little more if you manually key in the card number I think but I can't remember what it is.  Too bad Square wouldn't work in the Pony market since you would literally have to give your card # to someone : /

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal