collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Best Way to Store Ponies  (Read 172 times)

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Best Way to Store Ponies
« on: May 01, 2023, 12:53:23 PM »
Hello everyone  ^.^ I haven't been on the MLP Arena in such a long time. I have been in college and collecting ponies has simply not been a priority . That being said, I adore my collection and have hundreds of ponies sitting on shelves at my parents' house. I've gotten to a point where I think it would be better (and safer for the ponies) if they were stored away in our basement until I get my own permanent place.

What would be the best way to store ponies long term? I have a variety of lovely G1 ponies with factory curls, some G3s, and ton of G4s from both my childhood and teenage years. I also collected some LOL OMG dolls and Rainbow High. I feel like everything is such a mix of size, age, and value that it is hard for me to create a plan for what to do. I want to make sure that nothing gets ruined in storage either by touching plastic or moisture. I get nervous thinking about my ponies sitting in boxes, and I want to feel secure about damaging them at all -- especially squishing the hair and pony cancer. Do any of you have any tips? Specifics are welcome and I'm open to anything! Thanks so much ya'll  :lovey:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Best Way to Store Ponies
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 03:45:36 PM »
Don't store them in plastic bins. Cardboard boxes are better. Wrap them individually with archival acid free paper. I would put the ones with curls on top so nothing squishes them. They should be fine that way. You can drop a few silica gel packets in the box with them to help suck up any moisture. If you're worried about mice or bugs, put the box in a slightly bigger box and in between the two place either moth balls or peppermint extract. That will keep them away and they won't get a chance to chew open the box with the ponies. I would pack the boxes light, as in, leave some breathing room inside the box. If you have a dehumidifier, put it by the boxes (we always had one in our basement). Keep the boxes away from any windows or doors.

I think that's all the tips I have. If I think of something else, I'll add it :)

edit: Oh! I would keep the ponies of each gen together. Like don't mix in G4s with G1. Give them each their own box.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Best Way to Store Ponies
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 10:14:06 PM »
I put mine in plastic ziplock baggies, which are then stored in plastic bins or cardboard banker boxes. 

However you do have to be absolutely sure the pony is internally dry before storing her. Any time I wash a pony, I rest her with her tailhole facing down for a week to ensure all the moisture drains out.  I've never had any problems with mold or mildew etc.

Keep the storage container out of extremes of hot and cold.  Like don't store the ponies in a hot attic.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal