collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Did G5 flop?  (Read 2892 times)

Offline MoonShadow

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • Youtube!
Re: Did G5 flop?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2024, 04:37:11 AM »
I've been hearing that Transformers are being cheaply produced and overpriced too. I stopped buying a couple years ago myself, so I don't know.  Sounds like hasbro is just doing this all around now. Unsure of the quality with their Joes and LPS lines, if still around?

I think BasicFun! took over the main LPS line but may be mistaken.  I kind of hope Hasbro hands off the next gen of MLP to them as well.  I'd love to see BasicFun! run wild with the line if the quality is as good as the retros (nylon hair, etc.).  Hopefully they'd even be brave enough to go the "gotta collect 'em all route" as opposed to releasing the same 5/6 characters ad nauseam.

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2024, 11:08:03 AM »
I kind of hope Hasbro hands off the next gen of MLP to them as well.

Me too. If Hasbro is unwilling to up their game when it comes to quality and design then I do want them to pivot to just owning and (re)creating the IP and licensing it out to other companies, like they seem to have in mind.

Kind of like how Disney handles its IP's, you know. Sure, Disney makes some of its own toys, but most of what's out there is created by licensees and they are all giving it a bit of their own spin. Then again, it could become a jumbled mess as well?

Offline lalalei2001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2024, 02:01:29 PM »
They're having another video game out so I don't think it's doing poorly, but I haven't seen a lot of buzz around either the animated series or the toys.

Offline TheClassCalico

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2024, 02:18:04 PM »
I've been hearing that Transformers are being cheaply produced and overpriced too. I stopped buying a couple years ago myself, so I don't know.  Sounds like hasbro is just doing this all around now. Unsure of the quality with their Joes and LPS lines, if still around?

I think BasicFun! took over the main LPS line but may be mistaken.  I kind of hope Hasbro hands off the next gen of MLP to them as well.  I'd love to see BasicFun! run wild with the line if the quality is as good as the retros (nylon hair, etc.).  Hopefully they'd even be brave enough to go the "gotta collect 'em all route" as opposed to releasing the same 5/6 characters ad nauseam.

Agreed! Basic Fun, assuming that they'd stick to the same quality, would be perfect! I'd also like to think that there'd be more variety as well.

Regarding the game, it may have been in production for awhile, or even just an attempt to give G5 a boost. However, given that it's very likely shovelware like the previous game, I doubt it. Maybe it's a sign that things are doing okay, but I also doubt that, based on the evidence that things have been going poorly. We'll have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 02:21:01 PM by TheClassCalico »

Offline cowboyopossum

• So Soft Pony
  • I cannot contain my silliness | he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2024, 05:45:31 AM »
There's a new game? If it looks any good I might have to pick it up.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Squarepeg and Wizard for my profile and sig!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2024, 09:11:38 AM »
Honestly, things seem to be going pretty bad for most companies lately. A bunch of video game developers let people go recently. I think all the inflation is starting to make a difference in what people choose to buy. I mean, I wanted some Doritos yesterday but the price made me not get them. Over $5 for a bag? I don't think so. If Hasbro wants quantity over quality and charge the same thing, there's a problem.

Also, as someone else in thread said, kids toys are everywhere. I don't have kids nor am I around them and I know who Bluey is. Barbie is popular again and as far as I know, their quality hasn't gone down.

Maybe Hasbro got too big for themselves and consumers are starting to fight back.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline TheClassCalico

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2024, 10:09:04 AM »
Honestly, things seem to be going pretty bad for most companies lately. A bunch of video game developers let people go recently. I think all the inflation is starting to make a difference in what people choose to buy. I mean, I wanted some Doritos yesterday but the price made me not get them. Over $5 for a bag? I don't think so. If Hasbro wants quantity over quality and charge the same thing, there's a problem.

Also, as someone else in thread said, kids toys are everywhere. I don't have kids nor am I around them and I know who Bluey is. Barbie is popular again and as far as I know, their quality hasn't gone down.

Maybe Hasbro got too big for themselves and consumers are starting to fight back.

I'm not a Barbie collector, but I do follow the toy community as a whole, and sadly, its quality has gone down significantly.

If they are indeed struggling with the current inflation, I understand the quality drop, but I agree that they shouldn't be expecting people to pay the same amount for inferior products. I do think that an increase in variety may help, even if they use cheaper materials, though.

Yep! A Zephyr Heights Mystery. It is being produced by OG Outright Games, which was responsible for the last G5 game and are known for creating rushed, "shovelware" games (notoriously, the Bluey game.) That isn't to say that they're necessarily unfun, but it's important to keep in mind that it's better not to expect too much.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 10:14:30 AM by TheClassCalico »

Offline cowboyopossum

• So Soft Pony
  • I cannot contain my silliness | he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2024, 05:41:43 AM »

I'm not a Barbie collector, but I do follow the toy community as a whole, and sadly, its quality has gone down significantly.

If they are indeed struggling with the current inflation, I understand the quality drop, but I agree that they shouldn't be expecting people to pay the same amount for inferior products. I do think that an increase in variety may help, even if they use cheaper materials, though.

Yep! A Zephyr Heights Mystery. It is being produced by OG Outright Games, which was responsible for the last G5 game and are known for creating rushed, "shovelware" games (notoriously, the Bluey game.) That isn't to say that they're necessarily unfun, but it's important to keep in mind that it's better not to expect too much.

I do like the models used for the ponies in the game, I think its quite cute.

Adding to your point about inflation- there have been so many new lps with flaws straight from the factory. I don't mean the usual chips or misprinting, I have a kitten whose peg is lopsided in her head. I have seen someone get a factory reject in theirs, and so many cases of oily pets and huge paint flaws as well as head/body mismatching colors.
Basic fun seems to be struggling a bit too. I am still so peeved that they haven't made any new popular pets. It's all different animals than what people think of when you refer to "pets"
Ie. Dogs, cats, the like.

Thank you Squarepeg and Wizard for my profile and sig!

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2024, 06:09:18 AM »
I'm going to be a little allover the place so bare with me.

People who're getting kids are getting older and older. In Sweden most new parents are in their mid to late thirties. These were the ones who grew up with G1. Are they gonna buy toys like G5 or be nostalgic and getting the retro ponies? I know of at least two moms my age who went for the latter. The newer ones were "ugly and did not look like horses". Their kids have just turned three so a bit young for the show but not too young to play with the dolls. I would say this is one of the reasons the retro ponies sell so well compare to Hasbros newer additions.

Most brand toys are sold in toystores. When I grew up I never saw Barbie or MLP or Transformers in supermarkets or discount stores. I still rarely do. The other day I was walking through a discount store and on the toyshelf amongst a lot of off brand toys were Bluey. Kids were flocked at that section. Someone in the Bluey-department is thinking outside of the box and bringing in beans by contracting discount stores. With the inflation going, that is a smart move. I've also seen Barbie in supermarkets.

One thing that sells a lot in all of our discount store chains is a brand of ponies called Zuru Sparkle Girlz. They remind a tad bit of G4, but they are larger, brushable (they have bangs!) and feels more playable. They are cheaper but the quality is amazing compaired to the brand toys. They feel good in the hand. I love them, I have one of each of the baby unicorns. This is something others has touched as well, the quality of the toys have gone down. As a kid you could tell a brand toy from an off brand toy by the looks of it. Now you can't because they look the same.. except from the ponies describe above that feels like the G3. I'll take any of these before G5 any day of the week.

G5s are ugly, to be honest. The toys I've seen on the shelves are boring. It's like Hasbro grew tired and just felt they needed something, anything, and did not put any thought or interest in them. I guess that's the lack of budget talking. I saw the movie when it came to Netflix and was like meh.. not for me. I am not a fan of G4. Did not like the toys, never got into the show and just waited for the generation to be over.. but I think that was way better than what is presented now. Someone wrote that Hasbro should have let the G4 die down and bring back MLP a couple of years from now and I think that is a good idea. I think it would have been better. This feels so rushed.

Finally, what I brushed on in off Topic; kids today grow up so fast. I played with ponies and Barbies when I was 12. My niece turnes 9 in two days. The pony I gave her when she turned five was returned to me two years ago when she cleaned out her toys. She's nine but into crafts, make up and nail polishes and clothes. In my favorite toystore (which has an amazing mlp-section by the way, but 90% is basic fun) two thirds of the store is now childrens crafts. Everything from diamond painting kits and paint by number to do your own make up and embroidery. And lego. Lots and lots of Lego. When I go to fleemarkets tons of tables are parents with little kids getting rid of their toys. Kids ages 7-10.. I played with toys when I was that age, but these have outgrown them.. Kids in the age of the TV-show simply don't play with toys anymore so they don't relate and want the toys. Which turns back to my first point. The ones who playes with the toys are too young for the show and their parents buy them the retro ones for nostalgic reasons. The ones old enough for the show don't plays with toys anymore. It's an ongoing circle spiraling down.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2024, 06:42:13 AM »
Yes I agree Beldarna, the pony lot I bought locally had McD's ponies, a bunch of fakies, 1 G1 and 4 Basic Fun repros, and it was confirmed by the little girl who was like 5, that yes these were her old ponies.  >.<  I played with mine until I was like 12
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2024, 11:33:30 AM »
Beldarna I definitely saw your remark on how quickly children grow out of toys nowadays...
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2024, 12:24:16 PM »
Re actual toy shops - Smyths has about one version of Sunny and that's it.

I actually took a pic of the MLP ""section"" last time I was in Smyths:

That's it! That's literally the only pony stuff they're selling atm.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2024, 05:40:02 PM »
Re actual toy shops - Smyths has about one version of Sunny and that's it.

I actually took a pic of the MLP ""section"" last time I was in Smyths:

That's it! That's literally the only pony stuff they're selling atm.

Yep. That's the one. Same situation here :/

On the discounts stores carrying Bluey or whatever else, that's not uncommon here either - LOL, Rainbow High, and yes, FIM My Little Pony stuff have appeared in B&M, Home Bargains, etc. I am unsure however if this is a deal with the producers at the start or at the end of a range (ie clearance).

But I do agree with most everything Beldarna said. I've also seen young kids selling toys what seems like really early at carboot sales. I am unsure whether this is just how the world is now, or whether that's those individual kids. Difficult to say really. I have never liked the pressure on girls especially to grow up and be adult sooner than they need to be (ie having phones, social media, make up and such) - at the same time, crafts and things are probably also popular online and they have a lot more digital exposure.

I think kids' imagination develops differently now as well. Not necessaily in a good direction.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 04:16:38 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2024, 08:56:11 PM »
I went to walmart this past weekend and all the G5 MLP stuff was on clearance! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2024, 09:29:44 PM »
I went to walmart this past weekend and all the G5 MLP stuff was on clearance! 

That sounds like an exciting sale, but I can't help but feel like it's a bit pointless for me, since my local Walmarts have already gotten rid of the pony section! :yikes:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal